M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accedently scratched my gas tank while removing the plastic chrome peice that covers the top of it. I was being very very carefull and I didnt even know I scratched it until it was all put back together. I had to remove the tank becuase the hose that connects to the air cleaner was hanging off and not connected to the box under the tank for some reason. Needless to say, I was pissed that the hose was loose in the first place, and now even more because I scratched the tank.

This is the first bike that I have had this issue with I had my 2000 r6 for 6 years and the tank on my brand new m109r looks worse. This thing scratches way too easy.

Anyway, I have a few long scratches (to the clearcoat) 1/8" x 4" does anyone know a way/technique to get these out without damaging the clear coat any more. Will a simple buff do it? If so what should I use. I am not a paint person so if anyone can give me some guidance/tips that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ill try to get a good pic (about 10 minutes)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cant get a good pic. The scratches ar only noticable from certain angles. Here is what I have the picture makes it look worse than it is.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
SoSick said:
ill try to get a good pic (about 10 minutes)
Send me some pics when you get them [email protected]

There is very little clear coat on these bikes and you may not be able to buff it out but we might be able to reclear it without a problem or add a graphic over it and cover it.

G

·
Same thing happened to me.
I used a plastic credit card to scrape off the stickers as I have done many times before, this time it showed up on the tank as surface scratches.
What I did is buy a good wax (that fills swirls and scratches) and a lambswool buff pad, and buff and reapply......etc. etc.
The more you buff it the better your result.
It is nearly impossible to see the scratches on my tank now.
Good luck.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Chosek, I scratched my tank the very same way. I may try your solution. So far I just said screw it. :mad: Thats one bad thing about black. It shows every imperfection. Even though it is the fastest color.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts