M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been getting more and more comfortable with my bike the longer i ride it. i've scraped the heel of my foot a few times before, but today i actually scraped the left peg. bike kept the line, just bumped the peg up a bit. no chicken strip left on the left, a little bit left on the right. i find i'm more confident turning left for whatever reason.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know what you're talking about.I am very surprised how this thing turns with that wide rear tire.Alot smoother than I expected.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
it has alot to do with that sportlike front tire. it makes the big beast turn and dip that much quicker.

·
Registered
752 Posts
phaed said:
I've been getting more and more comfortable with my bike the longer i ride it. I've scraped the heel of my foot a few times before, but today i actually scraped the left peg. bike kept the line, just bumped the peg up a bit. no chicken strip left on the left, a little bit left on the right. i find I'm more confident turning left for whatever reason.
Phaed. Whenever I get a new bike I go to the biggest parking lot I can find (college football stadium here) in my full leathers and "scrub in" the tires. I just take about a half hour to an hour and run big circles. Leaning over a little lower each time to gently abrade the slicker outside of my tires and wear off that slickness that comes from the factory. It also helps me learn what my lean angles will be before I touch my pegs on the street. A bike will lean over a lot further than most people think. I have owned several sportbikes and cruisers and have never owned a bike that wouldn't scrape it's pegs. Although on my sportbikes sometimes my knee pucks were on the ground.

Anyway if you have an area that works give it a try. It is safer than doing it on the street where you could slide out in front of a car. It will help you get comfortable with turning right. It will get your tires ready for the road and it's fun.

At first just touch the pegs a little and then you can get to where you can drag them.

Be careful of going to far though. Caught the kickstand on the left and touched the end of my pipe on the right. Both can drop you if you aren't ready. For something that weighs so much I was surprised how far she would hold on.

Make sure to do some figure 8's for a few minutes so your tires are warm.

On this bike I was using 2nd gear between 20 and 25 miles an hour.

·
Registered
192 Posts
AS the saying goes, "The older you get the smaller your balls become". This is an inbuilt survival feature generated by the ageing body specifically for M109r riders. Yes I hope that I finished falling off motorcycles about 40 years ago, because as I still remember it hurts. 500Kms and I was just touching my boot heals on slower bends, so I look at the road wear on the fatty and see that there is plenty of room to bank over further. Now I feel this strange phenomenon in my pants, yes I do believe they are getting bigger as I take the odometer past 1000kms, but I still have not got to drag a footpeg yet, but here's hoping for futher exitement and bigger things to come.
Balls I hope!

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
It took me a couple of run on Deals Gap before I started to scrape the pegs. This bike will lean further than my VTX or Boss so it took me awhile to fine out where that point was. 8) I got to tell you that the more I ride this bike the more I like it. :D I'm really starting to get into the throttle control now and I found that the issues I had before were pretty much just me not being use to the bike. :doorag: If you wear those pegs out I have two stock set's here. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also hit the pegs twice and today I had her at 140 on the speedo a few times she feels great but you really have to hold on but no oil problem so I was very happy. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Gee, I thought it was normal to scrape the pegs. I also scrape them more on the left side than the right. I do agree with Lamonster, the more I ride it, the more I like it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts