M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, according to UPS tracking, my new scorpion tips are on the truck for delivery. I plan on installing them tonight before the FL ride tomorrow morning.
Since I know some of you have already completed this install...I was wondering of you had any advice or if you would like to share anything that you learned while doing your install that might make mine a little easier.
Any input would be appreciated.....

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
the instructions are pretty simple and clear. i would suggest that you just take your time and not rush through anything. the cutting of the pipes is really the toughest part. you can mount the tips in any angle you wish, but keep in mind that the angle also influences the sound. i mounted my tips at a 45 degree because i thought they looked the best at that angle and also kept the sound pretty balanced.

good luck. post some pictures up when you're done. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
:agree: they really werent all that bad.....i had to cut a tack weld on one of my covers where they show a clamp, then tack the cover back on but other than that it was pretty straight forward!!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
are these pipes really loud or moddest? i really want something other than stock (drilled stock sounds tame to me) do they hafta be really short or can you put them further back?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
careful on the test ride. I dropped the lower one during the ride. Picture...tinkle,tinkle, tinkle, damn!!!! Was not secured tightly enough, but i was too excited to wait.

·
Registered
262 Posts
are these pipes really loud or moddest? i really want something other than stock (drilled stock sounds tame to me) do they hafta be really short or can you put them further back?
jsut mod your stock exhaust into a shorty pipe...make it as long as you want.

ill be doing a friends pipes in a few days so I'll post up a how too....

these are the stock tips as short as they can go.

sound nasty when you want them too!:eek:

you could make them longer if you wanted.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well, according to UPS tracking, my new scorpion tips are on the truck for delivery. I plan on installing them tonight before the FL ride tomorrow morning.
Since I know some of you have already completed this install...I was wondering of you had any advice or if you would like to share anything that you learned while doing your install that might make mine a little easier.
Any input would be appreciated.....
one thing to think about..the welds.When putting mine on I didnt go with the 3 welds on the outside,but went on the inside.The welder used smaller rods and with the appropriate temp he put 6 welds on the inside of each one.It was quick and with no blueing of chrome.Put a little high temp black paint inside,which you do any way,and you cannot see them.besides who is gonna get on their knees to look inside anyway.I got 4500 miles and no probs.Enjoy the sound and have fun.one final thing the angle of the tips does make a diff.3 oclock is the loudest and 6 oclock makes it a dust sweeper.:D

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
the scorpion tips are not that loud as compared to other aftermarket exhaust systems. do a search for further info.

if you go with the scorpion tips, it is best that you follow the instructions and mount them according to how they suggest or else they will not look proper when all the covers get places back on. they are intended to open the right side of the bike in order to show more wheel area.

i also prefer the slash down design of the scorpion tips because it prevents exhaust grime from getting all over the rear portion of your bike and getting all my siny chrome dirty. it would wipe right off, but i figure why not prevent it if i can.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Patience.....,patience,.......patience. It was a lot easier for me to take the whole exhaust off and put it on a bench.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
:agree:here are my stock shorty's

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well...I got them mounted and finished about 11PM friday night...all in all a 4 hour job start to finish. They look and sound great.

I went on the Sarasota ride on Saturday...rode over 300 miles that day...and everything worked fine.

They even passed the 125mph test.....

Anyway...I really like them..and they make the bike sound mean...as it should....

·
Registered
35 Posts
jsut mod your stock exhaust into a shorty pipe...make it as long as you want.

ill be doing a friends pipes in a few days so I'll post up a how too....

these are the stock tips as short as they can go.

sound nasty when you want them too!:eek:

you could make them longer if you wanted.
Was there ever a how to on how to do this????
Looks like a real good alternative for someone looking to get shorter pipes....

·
Registered
960 Posts
Well...I got them mounted and finished about 11PM friday night...all in all a 4 hour job start to finish. They look and sound great.

I went on the Sarasota ride on Saturday...rode over 300 miles that day...and everything worked fine.

They even passed the 125mph test.....

Anyway...I really like them..and they make the bike sound mean...as it should....
Did you do the welding yourself? Did you leave the pipes on the bike or remove them? Pics please!:bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts