M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has decible tested scorpion tips? I like the looks of the tips and also looked at debaffling the stock exhaust. Would love to change the whole system but not in the budget. Thanks any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
scorpion tips

I purchased a 109r2 with those tips installed. I think they look great but I am not particularly fond of the sound. It is somewhat "tinny." The way mine are mounted you can look directly in the chamber with the catalytic converter. In other words, the converter forms the only baffling. I have no way of performing a decibel test.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
exhaust

Thanks for the insight. They are cracking down on noise around here. The limit is 106 at 2000 rpms i think. I had a buell cyclone with v&h exhaust they tested it 4 times before it passed 105.4

·
Registered
586 Posts
I in stalled the Scorpion Tips about 3 months after I got the bike. Anyone who would say the sound is "tinny" is deaf in both ears! The sound is so raw and grumbly, they bellow and rumble! It is not tooo loud when putting through the neighborhood if you JUST started the bike, but once everything heats up and you touch that throttle... WATCH OUT that bike will sound better than a Harley! People always complement me on the soun:bigthumbsup:d.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have them on my bike and definately like the sound.... Night and day between the debaffled stock pipes and the tips.... Honestly though on long rides I wear earplugs because they are very loud but around town I love to hear them echo off the buildings and houses :) P.S. There definately not tinny sounding....

·
Registered
24 Posts
scorpion tips

Those tips were on a 08 109r2 that I purchased last september. As stated above the only baffling is the converter and personally I am not particularly fond of the sound, but not enough to change them yet. I would also think that on my bike they probably hurt performance a little since the two engine pipes go into that large cavity (the converter) and they have to funnel down into the remainder of the exhaust. That is not good for exhaust flow. I also have a harley dyna and the nine is not as loud as it. The harley exhaust has a muffler, I forget what kind. I do think the harley sounds better. The harley does not clunk into second, but it does into third, but never as bad as the nine. I do like the nine more, the dyna is too small.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I would be interested to know what decibel level they come in at.

I like that you can make them quieter by going up to 3-4th gear while cruising around town, and loud by cracking the throttle.

If you don't crack the throttle on startup, like a lot of harley guys do, they are actually pretty quiet on startup.

PS- why the hell do they feel its necessary to do that EVERY time? and why do they need to blip the throttle constantly at stoplights? is it going to stall?

PSS- I know that's sort of a thread jacking question, but inquiring minds want to know. :joke:

·
Registered
17 Posts
torque

I've had the tips installed over a year now and I still love the sound. I had cops pull up on the side of me saying "love the bike and sounds good" No tickets so far......:bigthumbsup:
hey guy after you installed the scorpion tip did you lose any torque?i just put them on this week and it feels like less torque on the top end

·
Registered
572 Posts
Lost no torque at all. I also installed PCV, K&N filters and TRD. Love the ride and the throttle responce is nice and smooth. A stock M109 can't even hang with me, trust me. Blow them away every time :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Scorpion Exhasut tips

I'm ready to make the move away from my debaffeled stock exhaust. It appears the scorpion exhaust tips might be the ticket I'm looking for...

Any regrets from making this move and if not, would you do it exactly the same as you did? Or do different? Where's the best place to acquire them?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've had these tips for a couple of years now and MY GOD, these things sound better everytime. I don't about you, but these joker are not even close to "tinny" I get complimented everytime I pull up somewhere!!!!!! #crowdkiller"

·
Registered
328 Posts
Fitted mine last week and all I can say is AWESOME!
The look I love...nice and short to show off the chrome wheel and the sound is all grumble.
I had it idling in the garage for ten minutes and had 5 neighbors all standing around with a beer in hand

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm ready to make the move away from my debaffeled stock exhaust. It appears the scorpion exhaust tips might be the ticket I'm looking for...

Any regrets from making this move and if not, would you do it exactly the same as you did? Or do different? Where's the best place to acquire them?
I've spoken so many times in favor of the scorpion tips that I feel they should pay me!!!! lol I have no regrets for doing it. Imo the pipes look much better now and it sounds better then before. And all for about 1/3 or maybe 1/4 of the price of the fancy pipes (and all that comes with it) out there. I've done everything but the welding myself. I followed the instructions provided by them so I don't think I would have done it differently. As for the price... I've seeing lucky guys buying the scorpion tips unused from buyers that for one or other reason decided not to do the mod. They paid much less for it. I bought mine for $195 from DLP. I really don't know if somebody else has a better price. Google it and you should come up with the best deal out there, I guess. I just didn't feel like waiting for a better price to pop up, you know... Hope you have better luck!!! Cheers!!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I bought mine with the tips installed and AWESOME!!! Is all I can say. All around town and everywhere I go I get crazy compliments from people and as mentioned in an earlier post, they are quiet enough to sneak back into the neighborhood at night but when I crank on it....:drool:. The only time that I have ever felt they were not loud enough was next to VINNIEB's bike and the gutted RAW pipe he used to have installed in Ocean City, maryland bike week last year. :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
" ....Harley's sound so much better than the jap. twins - jmho "

Not exhaust related lol.....HD's have a single pin crank, thats why they sound the way they do.

Jazz

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.