M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are strongly considering packing up a running away from CT. I hate my job and our condo and the weather is getting depressing. With that said AZ is very appealing (yes even with the recent nutjob). We're looking into the Tucson area but wouldn't rule out another area if recommended. We're both in our 30's and will probabaly be having our first kid in the next year so good schools are important. We are aware that jobs will pay less than they do here so we're looking at homes in the $120-150k range so we're not living on bread and water.

Can anyone tell me of areas in Tucson that we should look at or avoid? Would we be happier in Phoenix?
Any help is much appreciated,
Brian

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone from AZ want to chime in?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi, I've been living in Vail for 7yrs now (year around) Vail is about 20mi. SE of Tucson. on I-10. Not as hot around here in the summer as it is in Phoenix. I love 90deg. but 100 to 108 does ware on ya a bit. Gets 120deg in Phoenix. Mt. Lemon is a 45 min. drive to cool off in the summer. 9000 ft above sea level. usualy around 75 to 80deg. in summer. Snow sking in winter for 2 months. Lot of great homes for sale now cheap. Rita Ranch, Vail, Tucson, Oro Vally, Marana. Only place I would stay away from is South Tucson, by the airport. Look online and get tons of info. Vail was rated as some of the best scools in the nation. If you love golf and riding the 9 IMHO this is the place to be. Good luck. :p

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
If your in to almost 4 seasons. Prescott AZ is kinda nice. Not real big and mile high. I lived and worked there for almost 10 years. Ya want snow, go 100 miles north to Flagstaff, ya want the heat 100 miles south to Phx.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've been here in AZ for 28 years now. Spent 23 of them in Phx. I don't know much about Tuscon or the surrounding areas, but I moved my family away from Phoenix just over 5 years ago... I couldn't stand the "Californians" (no offense to those from CA, but they have a rep you know) and the snowbirds any longer.

The public schools in AZ are among the lowest ranked in the nation. I haven't looked in a while but I don't think it's changed much. I have my kids a small charter school focused on our American heritage. Great school, but not the kind of stuff you'll find in any public school... sorry. I can only guess about the schools in Tuscon, but my hunch says the public schools down there are about the same as in Phx. :yikes:

Good 3 bedroom houses in your price range will be very easy to find. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I couldn't stand the "Californians" (no offense to those from CA, but they have a rep you know) and the snowbirds any longer.

The public schools in AZ are among the lowest ranked in the nation. I haven't looked in a while but I don't think it's changed much. I have my kids a small charter school focused on our American heritage. Great school, but not the kind of stuff you'll find in any public school... sorry. I can only guess about the schools in Tuscon, but my hunch says the public schools down there are about the same as in Phx. :yikes:

Good 3 bedroom houses in your price range will be very easy to find. Good luck with your decision!
Have lived in Gilbert, SE valley of phoenix. He couldn't of said it better. School's are crappy down here. And the Phx area with all of the folks from CA. Man, what I would give to be back in TX. The issue you might have right now isn't finding a decent home in a decent neighborhood for the kind of money your looking for but the job you are wanting. That may be a more deciding factor. Because you can live anywhere, but if you have to commute 2 hrs a day it might not be worth it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts