M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I know some of you guys were asking about the Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Headsets. I have tested the Blink systems with intercom and they were horrible. The stability was the worst I have seen. They were cheap but all 3 units at one time or another just locked up and could not be turned off. I had to use the reset key on them. After that debacle I saddled up and bought the Scala G4 Powerset. The units came in last night and are fully charged. I will try them out this weekend and give everyone a report on how they work.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hey,

I know some of you guys were asking about the Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Headsets. I have tested the Blink systems with intercom and they were horrible. The stability was the worst I have seen. They were cheap but all 3 units at one time or another just locked up and could not be turned off. I had to use the reset key on them. After that debacle I saddled up and bought the Scala G4 Powerset. The units came in last night and are fully charged. I will try them out this weekend and give everyone a report on how they work.
Please do. We have the G2s and have been thinking about stepping up depending on if they fixed some of the weaker aspects of the G2s.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Well they often lose track of each other. You can carry on conversations fine. But if you go quite for 30 seconds and then try and start talking again they didn't make connections as you'd expect them to. You had to screw around a whole bunch of times to get them to make a talk connection again.

The radio function is horrible.

And you can link to your cellphones, which is good, if you get out of range you simply call each other on the cell and talk via bluetooth. Except that if you are linked to them and trying to just talk to each other within close distances, the cellphone tries to pair up and it interferes with making a connection. We had to discover that turning off your cellphone, improved greatly your ability to talk to each other. If you get separated, then turn on the cell and link up. Pain to have to do the workarounds like that.

OH and the bluetooth music was not stereo and it was worthless for stereo output of I-Pods etc. It became easier, yet a pain to link the I=Pod etc to a converter and send that bluetooth. Just too much hassle.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok,

I will make sure to check into those issues but I know the new units have a 1 mile range and are stereo if paired to an A2DP unit.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Ok,

I will make sure to check into those issues but I know the new units have a 1 mile range and are stereo if paired to an A2DP unit.
They claimed a mile on these also. Reality is, more like about 1/3 to a 1/2 in actual real world use. Yes if you are on a long straight road with no traffic and no outside sources, you definitely got a longer range.

In the mountains or heavily treed, 2-300 yards maybe.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Does it come with the microphones for use in a full face helmet or just the boom mikes?
Both. Same mike for both. You just use a different foam end thingie. Makes sense when you see the mic.

At least speaking from the G2 version.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I currently have the G4 for about 6-7 months. THe first could units I had were faulty but Cardo replaced them until I got a functional unit. Now I love it... very good sound and phone bluetooth connection is amazing...

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have the G4 also. Here is my review. They work very well and th erange is better than the G2 for sure. The G2 only had a 1/2 mile max range. The headset is stereo and the voice command works well. You may have to yell to get it to work here and there but it works well. The Radio is still useless but that doesn't matter because I have a bluetooth MP3. So far so good. The MP will loose connection for a second every once in a while but it may be user error again because I keep forgetting to put headphones in the MP3 which act as an Antenna. I am having some trouble with pairing the phone and MP3 together but that may be more user error than anything else. I got my set for 299.00 from the place below. They were at my front door in less than a week. I believe more like 4 business days.

http://4wheelonline.com/atv/Scala_Rider_G4_PowerSet.144763.518041

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the wife and I finally got out on the road and used the intercom system. I must say that it is great. The com system if clear and loud which is good on a bike. I actually had to turn mine down. You have to usea long word to activate it but after you do it a few times it is old hat. I used hhhhheheeeeelllllloooooo and it would give me an audible beep showing the connection. After a bit of no talking it kicks right back to your mp3 player. So all in all it seems to be a great system.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I purchased mine back in Sept and we love them... most the time people can't tell I am on my bike...
no more missed calls..lol

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I must admit that they are worth the money.....it is really nice to be able to talk to her while riding. We can make decisions about stops and if there is some problem or question she might have.....I am right there. Love the things.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looks like upgrade time

I have had the G2 for a year and have not experienced any of the problems mentioned other than the earphone's sound was not good. I plugged noise cancelling ear buds into my i-phone and ran that way. The phone bluetoothed to the Scala. When someone called the phone muted the earbuds and then the conversation went through the Scala speakers. When riding with the honey just listen to her and no music. Safer that way. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts