M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 I was invited by my son to join him with the Mid-South Sports Riders.
http://www.midsouthsportriders.org/
 They meet every Saturday and Sunday for a ride in and around the Memphis area. Saturday was the slow ride day and Sunday is a faster ride. We meet around 9:00am and the member gave instruction on how the ride goes and the safety factors. Always watch out for the guy behind you and make sure he makes it after you turn.
 What most surprised me was these were older guys as myself ( 48 years +++) and were riding some what bad ass crotch rockets, some major $$$ bikes !! They wore full leather with knee skid pad that were well worn.!
 They look over everyone’s bike to make sure that they were road worthy. But when they got to mine, they gave me the look like I had a knife at a gun fight. They knew about the bike from what they had read and heard, but this was the first one they had seen. They really thought that it would keep up to the slow pace. But enforced their motto “ No Rider Left Behind” Their was a total of 15 bikes. I fell in 11th.  My son riding a Honda CBXR 600 in the 9th and one of his co-workers was between us. A third of the way during the rider the rider in fount of me lost it in a hard right turn. There was a small area of loose gravel and when his front break slide, he laid down on his rear break and went off the left side of the road. His speed was around 15 to 20 mph. He rolled over the handle bars and the bike flipped. He got up without a scratch but the bike will be totaled. All flaring busted up. He was able to ride it home.
As the ride continued, the member would change position from front to back. At every intersection the front riders would wait up for the tail to arrive before going on. They are very safety conscious, which made me feel more comfortable. I rode the M109 slow into the turn, but hard out. But each turn I would increase the enter speed until the weight of the bike cause too much drifting. All of my exit speeds were tire burning. As I exiting the turns I was watching the members falling behind. I the straight a-ways we were over 120mph. They wasn’t going to leave me that for sure!
 The ride ended at Hooters at around 3:00. We had late lunch and each member came up to and expresses their interest now in the M109. They were impressed at how the bike could lean and accelerated out of the turns. They thought that I would slow down the ride but stated how we were able to pick up the pace because I was riding so fast. One ride said he like the bike because he could use it for cruising and sports riding.
 I am looking forward to the next ride!!
:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

The wreck:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
If there is somewhat of an equalizer for the 109, it's the torque coming out of a curve. If you feel ok enough to hit the power as soon or sooner the sport bikers, you can hang - some. That is until they get real serious and if they are good riders. Then they just have way too much advantage through lots of curves.

I've jousted with sport bikes a few times when we were all workin real hard. All I can say is they were surprised it took as long as it did to put some distance on me. But that's about as good as it gets with all the weight to shift, suspension, and ground clearance.

Sounds like you did a great job and opened their eyes a bit. Way to hang!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Very cool!
Sounds like a great group. Sorry that dude hit the gravel. I am glad he walked away.
We ride much the same way in the North GA mountains, although I dont think I am ever sliding through turns (I wish)
I am just not that good yet.

Sledzep

·
Registered
88 Posts
Black Streak said:
 I was invited by my son to join him with the Mid-South Sports Riders.
http://www.midsouthsportriders.org/
 They meet every Saturday and Sunday for a ride in and around the Memphis area. Saturday was the slow ride day and Sunday is a faster ride. We meet around 9:00am and the member gave instruction on how the ride goes and the safety factors. Always watch out for the guy behind you and make sure he makes it after you turn.
 What most surprised me was these were older guys as myself ( 48 years +++) and were riding some what bad ass crotch rockets, some major $$$ bikes !! They wore full leather with knee skid pad that were well worn.!
 They look over everyone’s bike to make sure that they were road worthy. But when they got to mine, they gave me the look like I had a knife at a gun fight. They knew about the bike from what they had read and heard, but this was the first one they had seen. They really thought that it would keep up to the slow pace. But enforced their motto “ No Rider Left Behind” Their was a total of 15 bikes. I fell in 11th.  My son riding a Honda CBXR 600 in the 9th and one of his co-workers was between us. A third of the way during the rider the rider in fount of me lost it in a hard right turn. There was a small area of loose gravel and when his front break slide, he laid down on his rear break and went off the left side of the road. His speed was around 15 to 20 mph. He rolled over the handle bars and the bike flipped. He got up without a scratch but the bike will be totaled. All flaring busted up. He was able to ride it home.
As the ride continued, the member would change position from front to back. At every intersection the front riders would wait up for the tail to arrive before going on. They are very safety conscious, which made me feel more comfortable. I rode the M109 slow into the turn, but hard out. But each turn I would increase the enter speed until the weight of the bike cause too much drifting. All of my exit speeds were tire burning. As I exiting the turns I was watching the members falling behind. I the straight a-ways we were over 120mph. They wasn’t going to leave me that for sure!
 The ride ended at Hooters at around 3:00. We had late lunch and each member came up to and expresses their interest now in the M109. They were impressed at how the bike could lean and accelerated out of the turns. They thought that I would slow down the ride but stated how we were able to pick up the pace because I was riding so fast. One ride said he like the bike because he could use it for cruising and sports riding.
 I am looking forward to the next ride!!
:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

The wreck:
Way to hang tough. I'm at just about 150 miles on my 109 and I'm really starting to open her up at stoplights just to see if I can get past cars trying to accelerate in front of me to change lanes. I get a half turn on the throttle in 2nd gear and I think I can hear the drivers going "Oh sh*t" at how fast I get past them. And that's in second gear, usually with them already about 10 feet on me. I'm by em in about 1 second. Great that the rider who fell walked away. Stay safe and good post.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
:bigthumbsup: went on a ride Sunday with 6 sportbikes myself ........................ its fun to show the sportbike riders they should respect what the 109 will do ;) :doorag:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've riden with a few of them. They own the corners and we own the straights!

Nice read :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Brawler said:
I've riden with a few of them. They own the corners and we own the straights!

Nice read :bigthumbsup:
Nah, more like "they own the corners and they own the straights" I'm afraid... :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts