M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this has been covered, but I've done a search and couldn't find anything. I posted my 2008 Orange M109R for sale this morning and actually have a guy making a full price offer. My concern is with all the scams out there, what can I do to ensure that I don't get ripped off. He is coming from Des Moines to Minneapolis to make the purchase. He wants to come up this Sunday and I know he is taking out a loan to purchase the bike. Is there anything I can do to ensure the funds are good before sending the bike down the road? Every other vehicle I've gotten rid of in the past I've either traded in or was given cash. Just a little nervous about getting hosed.

·
Banned
1,218 Posts
Forgive me if this has been covered, but I've done a search and couldn't find anything. I posted my 2008 Orange M109R for sale this morning and actually have a guy making a full price offer. My concern is with all the scams out there, what can I do to ensure that I don't get ripped off. He is coming from Des Moines to Minneapolis to make the purchase. He wants to come up this Sunday and I know he is taking out a loan to purchase the bike. Is there anything I can do to ensure the funds are good before sending the bike down the road? Every other vehicle I've gotten rid of in the past I've either traded in or was given cash. Just a little nervous about getting hosed.
I have a rule-If you can get the funds to buy from me it shouldnt be a problem doing it with cash...If it is a problem, leave it at home.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
If he is coming to get it and has a check in hand. Google the name of the bank for the phone number (if it is a scam, the phone number on the check will be fake) call the bank and verify funds. Don't hand over the keys if you are not sure.

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
Take cash. You could also do it on a day that the bank is open and have him bring a check and go to his bank and cash it. It will not be his branch, but they might have one close to you.

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
If he is coming to get it and has a check in hand. Google the name of the bank for the phone number (if it is a scam, the phone number on the check will be fake) call the bank and verify funds. Don't hand over the keys if you are not sure.
But it can happen that they state that the funds are there at the time of call, but they can not guarantee that they will remain in there.

·
Registered
497 Posts
do cash in a public place no checks or money orders or bank drafts they all can be cancelled

·
Registered
668 Posts
cash only. If he can get a check then he can get cash.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have him meet you at your bank with cash or cashiers check as they can verify check and notarize title.

·
Registered
65 Posts
They should but a cashiers check made payable to you is ok if you go to bank before you release the bike or title. Your bank likely has a notary on site and will do this free. Furthermore god forbid the guy crosses the road and runs over granny, your not liable in any way as you just had a notary confirm transfer.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They should but a cashiers check made payable to you is ok if you go to bank before you release the bike or title. Your bank likely has a notary on site and will do this free. Furthermore god forbid the guy crosses the road and runs over granny, your not liable in any way as you just had a notary confirm transfer.
So at the risk of souring the sale I should push for a Saturday transaction rather than a Sunday so we can just meet at my bank if he can't bring cash? Thanks for the tip on having the bank notarize the sale. I knew I could get a form from the DMV website, but having it notarized should make it official.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would not deal any other way. Cash or we have to meet at the bank. After having my truck broken into today I assure you we have no shortage of crooks in our society. Sad to see you sell but good luck

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the advice. A little sad to possibly see her go, but I just need a break from MCs for a while. I've been riding for 27 yrs (got my first dirtbike when I was three), but the birth of my son has made me rethink some of my priorities. I'll be back in the saddle again some day, but for now I just think this is right for me and my family.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Bank Draft or Cash Only!!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Very simple, you get bike when my bank has your cash..... if the cheque takes 10 days to clear then you get the bike in 10 days. PERIOD. It's not personal it's business. If your pressured to give the bike away before any cash reaches your hands then you deserve to lose the bike! Sorry but when was the last time you were able to leave a store with an item after only giving them a cheque. Hell even whores won't take cheques. hahahaha
Congrats on the soon to be sale.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but will a bank give someone loan proceeds to pay for a vehicle in cash?
mine did, bought a 08 for 8500 off of ebay but took out 9200 they gave me cash got a helmet and pd for the plates

1 - 18 of 18 Posts