M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is NOT meant to poke at or slam anyone...

But.......

Wow, I'm seeing some unsafe riding practices as far as personal protection goes in some of the pics I'm seeing posted... granted, to each his own, but the number of folks and passengers that ride in T Shirts w/ short or no sleeves, and no helmet not even a brain bucket, and shorts, and sneakers... no gloves... just skin all exposed and asking for road rash (because you NEVER KNOW when you're gonna kiss the pavement and pay your skin tithes) ... I'm just sayin'...

Ya'll PLEASE be safe out there...

I NEVER ride without my jacket, full face, gloves, long sleeves, and boots... NEVER... just me... I dunno... :-[

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Well this ought to be an interesting thread! :eek:

Yep to each his own. Personally I tend to feel more the way you expressed above myself. But each person will exercise their own right within their State laws to gear up or down as they see fit.

I just posted some pics of my ride group that was in Florida. They are super safety conscious BUT I think some of them took the rare opportunity to "not have to" wear helmets when riding around town in Panama City because 95% of the folks down there don't and it's not a state law. Up in Georgia they're always geared up.

I'll say this. Once you go down on your bike, if your smart, it changes how you view "gear", as in you see the postive benefits of using it all the time.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Maybe a big metal safety cage that wraps completely around the rider would be better. :dontknow:

I suppose you would need to put holes in it to see out of. :eek:

Might as well include space for your passenger and maybe some stuff as well. ;)

Hm, that is sounding heavy, so maybe some extra wheels so you do not have to hold it all up when stopped. :'(

Oh yeah, they make those.:mad:

:pop:

·
Registered
216 Posts
This outta be good!?

:pop::pop::pop::pop:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I always wear a helmet, boots, long pants, and my leather jacket when I ride. The ONLY time I don't wear a jacket is when it's just too damn hot to wear one.

·
Registered
685 Posts
This is NOT meant to poke at or slam anyone...

But.......

Wow, I'm seeing some unsafe riding practices as far as personal protection goes in some of the pics I'm seeing posted... granted, to each his own, but the number of folks and passengers that ride in T Shirts w/ short or no sleeves, and no helmet not even a brain bucket, and shorts, and sneakers... no gloves... just skin all exposed and asking for road rash (because you NEVER KNOW when you're gonna kiss the pavement and pay your skin tithes) ... I'm just sayin'...

Ya'll PLEASE be safe out there...

I NEVER ride without my jacket, full face, gloves, long sleeves, and boots... NEVER... just me... I dunno... :-[
Thank you for your concern, but I really like riding in my t-shirt and brain bucket. Keep the shiny side up :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Here is one to ponder:

There is a guy I have riden with a few times. He is a fried of a friend, so do not hold him against me.

he is over 300lb, diabetic and lives on McDonalds and Coke,

he smokes all the time,

has had 2 heart attacks,

does nothing physical,

BUT

when he rides, he is armored from head to toe and he will be the first one to make a stink if anyone in the group is not wering every piece of equipment he is.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My wife and i were at two wheel Tuesday where about 250 bikers show up.Most of them show up with no gear at all flip flops and shorts.IDIOTS sorry my opinion!But 2 top it off a woman pulls up on her hog and parks her bike next to my bike gets off and asks my wife where is the bar she needs a drink.My wife says we are in a Culvers parking lot what did you expect.she asked what we were all doing here when they don't sell booze.My wife tried to explain to her we gather here for good conversation and bike talk.She said that this was stupid while getting back on her bike to leave.She really pissed me off when she almost tipped her bike over into mine i told her i would hate to see her ride with a few drinks in her she gives bikers a bad name and she would not make it through the season without killing herself.Survival of the fittest.RIDE SAFE MY BROTHERS!!!!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
My guess is that we each bought our bikes to enjoy the freedom it brings to the whole experience of going somewhere. Each of us are different and so to one, riding in a tee shirt and sandals without a helmet is insanity while to another seeing someone in full leathers with armor and a full face is to ask Why even bother. It is your choice. If you ride naked and you go down your gonna wear off some inportant pieces of personal property. If you are suited up your going to miss some of the sensory inputs that riding brings. That is why we have the freedom of choice. But if we do choose to ride without then go down we and our familys are the ones who pay the price. I myself have been down a few times and now ride with a full face,leather jacket, gloves, boots. But I am getting to old to grow new skin as fast as I use to. The only thing that really hurts is when someone goes down and the insurance bean counters see the bills then they continue to lobby for more safety and more premiums. So it is a two edged sword. But to each his own I guess.

G

·
Here is one to ponder:

There is a guy I have riden with a few times. He is a fried of a friend, so do not hold him against me.

he smokes all the time,

has had 2 heart attacks,

does nothing physical,

BUT

when he rides, he is armored from head to toe and he will be the first one to make a stink if anyone in the group is not wering every piece of equipment he is.
By doing so maybe he'll live long enough to learn how to eat right and take care of his health. He still has leasons to learn. That doesn't mean he should unlearn the ones he's got right. ;) But I still believe it should be the individuals right to choose their ouwn level of risk, not the governments. Yet I hope that everyone is open to learning what it means to manage their risk the best they can. That means being willing to listen to good advice from time to time. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Here is one to ponder:

he smokes all the time,

has had 2 heart attacks,

does nothing physical,

BUT

That's classic!!!! :a20:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I normally ride in Jeans, tee shirt & jacket during the summer. In Central Texas it is too hot for me to have the heavy leathers on during summer. I ride with Leathers on when it is cold. I always at least have my Brain Bucket on. I have a full face helmet but again when it is 95 to 100 degrees with high humidity, it is sometimes very uncomfortable to wear the full face and or all the gear.
Yes it is true each to their own. I have a good friend that does not wear a helmet and his reasoning is "at 70mph, a helmet will not help" I will tell you that is not true as my dad hit a deer going 70 mph in October, the helmet is what saved his life. You can live with a few broken bones & some rash. It is hard to live with a scrambled brain! You can see the helmet & read his story on the Shoei website on their hall of fame.
Ride safe & be careful out there, someone still wants to see your smilin face:D

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I'm not into telling anybody how to ride and what to wear. We have enough rules as it is. Just like people who choose to smoke,drink,or over eat them selves to death if they want to do it then let them do it.

I have Hyperhidrosis which means I sweat like a water fountain so when it's remotely warm and humid I have to switch over to a half helmet so I don't just sweat to death.( Yea I am the sweaty guy ) I have to lose the jacket as well. So it's jeans,T-shirt,boots, and gloves in the summer time.

Don't get me wrong. I get sand blasted and take rocks and bugs to the face and arms and think man it would be nice to have that full face helmet on but I know what the penalties are and how I will have to pay them if I go down.

Now I won't lie I cringe when I see somebody in flip flops but hey that's their choice.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
. Yet I hope that everyone is open to learning what it means to manage their risk the best they can. That means being willing to listen to good advice from time to time. :bigthumbsup:
I am all for good advice, but where is the like between good and over the top?

Let me play devil's advocate for a moment::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

I ride in boots, but because my stubby legs benefit from the 1.5" gain. Who has ever been saved real injury by boots?

There are two ways to go on gloves as well. If you go down, you get less rash on your hands wearing them, but without them, you are more in touch with the controls and have a more direct feel of the bike.

Full face helmet go the same path. Visability and hearing is down wearing one but if you go down while parked, they may save you some injury. You need way more than a DOT sticker to get real benifits beyond very low speed falls.

Jackets, sure, we would all love less rash if we go down, but even most that wear a jacket will ride without it on hot days. Even those that wear it all the time are not all that likely to be wearing enough body armor inside so do much more than save some rash.

Pants, again, I wear them because I am short enough to burn my leg on the pipe at a stop, but unless we are talking full armor pants, you might as well be in shorts. Jeans shred on pavement and are worthless to protect you from anything but bugs.

So, where does this leave the guy who is dressed head to toe, but did not shell out the 3k+ for full armor anything? In a false sense of security.

There in an economist who puts forward a theory that the greatest addition we could make to cars to improve road safety would be a dagger in the center of the steering wheel. If the cost of getting into an accident was right in front of you as a reminder and the cost of even a minor accident was hitting that dagger, the theory goes, that every driver would drive in a way as to avoid hitting the dagger.

This rings true. Look at statistics on accidents. Every year there are more and more but fewer fatalities. So cars are getting safer and we are driving wore for it.

Apply this to riding a motorcycle.

If you put yourself right out there; 1. you have maximum sensory input and feel for the bike, plus 2. you are very aware of the risk. So, in theory, you will drive more safely.

If you wrap yourself in real armor, you feel safer and might be inclined to ride with a little more risk.

If you are dressed from head to toe, but it is not real armor, then I suppose you would feel like you are in the second category, and ride accordingly, but be only slightly less at risk than the guy in category 1.

So, logic would say, be in category 1 or 2 because the guys in category 3 are kidding themselves and are likely at higher risk of injury.

:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

·
Registered
358 Posts
It certainty is a personal choice but if you do decide to ride without a helmet at least check YES on the organ donor box when you renew your license...

I wear a helmet, jacket with spine/elbow/shoulder protection, gloves, long pants and boots after what happened to my friend Dozer_gsxr600 (Nate) 2 weeks ago...(and I am signed up as an organ donor too).

Oh and don't suit up and have your GF on the back in a tank top, shorts and open toed shoes... that ain't cool.

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Funny how the guys who have been down before are the guys who wear all the crap now

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Oh and don't suit up and have your GF on the back in a tank top, shorts and open toed shoes... that ain't cool.

:bigthumbsup:
What happened to personal choice?

Woman are not allowed to decide on there own?

Should we rescind their right to vote as well?:joke:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts