M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello 109 riders!! Can anyone advise if there will be an overload to the electrical system if I add running lights without a switch or relay??
I am planning on mounting them on the inside bottom of the turn signal chromed plastic case and tapping into the front orange running light wires that are always on. I opened the turn signals and test-wired them to see if they would work with a couple of alligator clips and they stayed on for the 15-20 minutes it takes to change oil with no problems. Also, do you think I could get by with simply upgrading the fuse in the fuse box or is this even needed. These new driving/running lights are the same 55 watt ones everybody seems to use from Wal-Mart that sell for $16. Pretty good quality also. Your feedback would be mucho appreciated!! :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yes it will overload it using those 55 watt lights

Hello 109 riders!! Can anyone advise if there will be an overload to the electrical system if I add running lights without a switch or relay??
I am planning on mounting them on the inside bottom of the turn signal chromed plastic case and tapping into the front orange running light wires that are always on. I opened the turn signals and test-wired them to see if they would work with a couple of alligator clips and they stayed on for the 15-20 minutes it takes to change oil with no problems. Also, do you think I could get by with simply upgrading the fuse in the fuse box or is this even needed. These new driving/running lights are the same 55 watt ones everybody seems to use from Wal-Mart that sell for $16. Pretty good quality also. Your feedback would be mucho appreciated!! :dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,948 Posts
Bro, don't even think about doing that. It might work for a few minutes, but over time the extra load will cause heat in the wiring. And heat creates resistance, which creates more heat. Eventually you'll end up frying the wiring on the bike.

You can do it with just a switch if you just want to manually turn them on and off. Run the wire from the battery or accessory panel to the switch, then from the switch to the lights. Fuse the wire at the battery or accessory panel.

Most states require driving lights to be on only with high beam or fog lights with low beam. To do that you need to use a relay.

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
Yes it will overload it using those 55 watt lights
:agree: I do not know of any manufacture that puts in higher gauge wire in case people want to add things. It may not be a ton of savings but after thousands of units it adds up. So any mods you add electrically should be put on there own circuit with an inline fuse.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I wired 4 of those running lights in (hung them on the reflector posts and also down on the calipers...looks sweet!!).

I wired them independently of any other wiring with an in-line fuse and directly to the battery (through the fuse box, so they are switched)...

I recommend as the others do to wire them independently.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Running Lights

Thanks for all your responses. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
813 Posts
OK, I finally got some pics (as promised, XLR8 )

These are the fog lights you can get at WalMart for under $20. They are metal, chrome, and pretty good quality. I think they look nice on the bike and will definitely make me more visible from the front...hopefully this will minimize idiots pulling out in front of me! :eek:

My wife says the wiring covers I did look crappy, :duck:and I feel she is right, but I am perplexed as to how to cover them without currint the wires. Doesn't seem like a good solution, but if you guys have a good idea, I am wide open! I will keep looking as I want it to look finished.

Hope this helps...

Chip

Attachments

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,948 Posts
OK, I finally got some pics (as promised, XLR8 )

These are the fog lights you can get at WalMart for under $20. They are metal, chrome, and pretty good quality. I think they look nice on the bike and will definitely make me more visible from the front...hopefully this will minimize idiots pulling out in front of me! :eek:

My wife says the wiring covers I did look crappy, :duck:and I feel she is right, but I am perplexed as to how to cover them without currint the wires. Doesn't seem like a good solution, but if you guys have a good idea, I am wide open! I will keep looking as I want it to look finished.

Hope this helps...

Chip
Wow, they should see you coming now. :D

Get some chrome braided wire loom, it looks a lot better than the black split wire loom. I had it on mine but I took them off when I put stainless braided brake hoses on. You can get the wire loom off ebay or at most auto parts stores. If you're just covering the light wires the 1/4" loom should work. This stuff isn't split so you have to run the wires up through it. And most include solid ends in either black or chrome to make it look finished.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts