M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a small problem/question. I've installed a side mount license plate bracket. The bracket has the three wires that control the LED light. I hooked them up one for running light, one for brake light and one for ground. Everything worked perfect. I then installed the Kuryakyn Run-Turn-Brake Controller and noticed that the Silver Bullet Halogen turn signals blinked real fast. According to the Controller instructions I added the Load Equalizer and that took care of the fast blinking. My problem now lies in the side mount tag light. It isn't as bright as it was before I added the Run-Turn-Brake Controller on the running light brightness, brake light brightness is fine. The other thing I notice is that it sort of flashes when I turn on either turn signal. I'm also getting a real slight surge in the opposite turn signal when the other one flashes. What have I done wrong or do I need to add another load equlizer? This seems odd to me because the only LED light in this setup is the side mount tag light.

Ric

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have the run-turn-brake controller hooked up also. Maybe by trying to power the r-t-b controller, signal lights, brake light and the light on the side plate adaptor in "running lights" mode, the voltage is getting spread a little thin. Have you tried unhooking the power wire on one of the signal lights to see if the adapter plate light gets any brighter? Or maybe there's a little ***** in the insulation on a wire somewhere that's drawing the voltage down. I'm just throwing ideas out there to try and help troubleshoot... I don't have a degree in electrical engineering but I like to tinker with things like this to see if I can get them to work :confused: BTW... when I turn one of the signal lights on, the other one surges momentarily :dontknow:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trouble_Is said:
I have the run-turn-brake controller hooked up also. Maybe by trying to power the r-t-b controller, signal lights, brake light and the light on the side plate adaptor in "running lights" mode, the voltage is getting spread a little thin. Have you tried unhooking the power wire on one of the signal lights to see if the adapter plate light gets any brighter? Or maybe there's a little ***** in the insulation on a wire somewhere that's drawing the voltage down. I'm just throwing ideas out there to try and help troubleshoot... I don't have a degree in electrical engineering but I like to tinker with things like this to see if I can get them to work :confused: BTW... when I turn one of the signal lights on, the other one surges momentarily :dontknow:
I will give those ideas a try tonite when I get home. I thought about it might be getting drawn down somewhere.

Ric

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
these problems can be difficult at best. Yes LED turn signals will make them blink fast and no sometimes load equalizers will not fix the problem. I had a similiar problem with the Sabre I traded in on the 109. was using a drag specialties license plate from with LED turn signals built in. this thing had crappy instructions and the place I bought it from never mentioned the need to equalize the load or buy another gadget. the plate bracket also had a running light set up that used the LED's. long story short I never could get it to work right with or without the load equalizer. the power was backfeeding through like it was flashing both signals when one was selected sort of like the running light circuit was on. I pulled the load equalizer, cut into the plate bracket harness and found a small circuit board with several diodes and resistors. since I work with this stuff at work I used a VOM and checked out how the board was wired and modified it so that only the turn sigs would run through the appropriate wires and cut out the running light portion that I think was causing the problem then used the resistors as inline loads on the LED's. then my signals worked right and not too fast but faster than stock.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Ric... any luck getting everything lit up and flashing correctly?

·
Registered
164 Posts
clone1008 said:
Ok I have a small problem/question. I've installed a side mount license plate bracket. The bracket has the three wires that control the LED light. I hooked them up one for running light, one for brake light and one for ground. Everything worked perfect. I then installed the Kuryakyn Run-Turn-Brake Controller and noticed that the Silver Bullet Halogen turn signals blinked real fast. According to the Controller instructions I added the Load Equalizer and that took care of the fast blinking. My problem now lies in the side mount tag light. It isn't as bright as it was before I added the Run-Turn-Brake Controller on the running light brightness, brake light brightness is fine. The other thing I notice is that it sort of flashes when I turn on either turn signal. I'm also getting a real slight surge in the opposite turn signal when the other one flashes. What have I done wrong or do I need to add another load equlizer? This seems odd to me because the only LED light in this setup is the side mount tag light.

Ric
Don't rule out a bad controller. I had problems with my rear lights (one not lighting) after wiring up the controller and a new controller took care of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts