M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all , Was doing a little checking on  screws and bolts and discovered tank bolt was loose..( bolt nearest seat) ...and I guess I didn't realize my own strength and
the bolt head broke off.... cleanly , I would like to repair this myself and buy a new bolt at  Lowes or something.   I proceeded to drill a hole into the bolt and
decided to hold off to get ideas first...

I'm sure this can be an easy fix...just looking for suggestions , also does anybody know the size of the bolt in question ?

The tank seems to still be on pretty good....and we have a Charity Toy Run Sunday the 19th, I guess I'll be ok.

Thanks in advance for input.

Dave

·
Registered
371 Posts
kat :edit: :edit: :edit:i know how you feel im a (meat head ) well any who just go and get a set of easy out's and drill the bolt and tape the easy out in to the hole then turn the bolt out as for the size of bolt just ask the stealer / dealer when you go to get the new one i never know what size bolt i need till i ask them

·
Registered
430 Posts
Before you do that, how about using a cutoff wheel in a Dremel to make a slot in the broken bolt. Then use a flat screwdriver to back it out.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
A 24" 1/2 inch socket driver is not the proper tool. :eek:

Try a 1/4 inch socket driver next time... ;)

·
Registered
728 Posts
EZRider723 said:
Before you do that, how about using a cutoff wheel in a Dremel to make a slot in the broken bolt. Then use a flat screwdriver to back it out.
Agree, the bolt shouldn't be bottomed out or seized so you should be able toback it right out.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Awesome idea about cutting a slot in the bolt, as long as he has a Dremmel, and what red blooded American male does not have a Dremmel a roll of duct tape and vice grips in the garage?

·
Registered
292 Posts
just get somthing with a real sharp point and try and spin it out......it should come right out..... been ther done that.....man you must have arms like hulk hogan to have broke that bolt.......

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a dremmel...but the bolt is recessed and is not "sticking" out . I did borrow a nice kit from a buddy at work...I will let you all know how it works out.

Thanks for showing love.....

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
a lot of times a cold chisel can be used to hit the remains of the bolt or screw at and angle but in the direction to loosen and you can get it started. they do make some screw or bolt extractors now that work with a power drill in reverse but I have never used them just seen them at Home Depot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts