1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Royal Purple Rock! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I like oil test comparisons but really that comparison and test is put out from someone who sells amsoil. You think they would say hey our product is crap. I'm not saying amsoil is bad just saying i feel it would be very biased.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Well, for easy riding maybe. I have seen many drag cars and bikes that refuse to ever run it again. I have know alot of guys that ran it and made a pass down the strip once/twice and when they came back it sounded like it was going to come apart. The oil had broke down and was like water. They switched to something else and never looked back. Torn down a couple of GSXR engines that ran it and needless to say they will never run it again either. Amsoil is great, Mobile1 is what I use, and several others are ok. However, I will never run RP.

G

·
I like oil test comparisons but really that comparison and test is put out from someone who sells amsoil. You think they would say hey our product is crap. I'm not saying amsoil is bad just saying i feel it would be very biased.
If you bothered to actually read it, you'll see where it says the tests were run by independant SAE ( sociaty of automotive engineers) facilities.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Use what you like,before you start a war on this post...lol

This post will turn into a religious post on this subect, All I can tell you is that a lot people use Amsol oil and stand by it Golden Spectro and Rp oil. Pesonaly I would say do your own math and come up with a conclusion. But I picked RP because my Mech uses it have been using it for years in all my sports bikes so I said hey it works good in this I'm going to put it in my. Vtwin. My mech races has some records and if your in the area his name is know Gleen stickels have brole some Records in the area motorcyle and snowmobile...yes. snowmobile....I agree with everyone else all oils are not created equal... but Mobil 1 I wouldn't evnen run that in my car.... Personaly if castrol made a MC oil I would be sold. So do some serches and come up with your own conclusion... Ask around mike bikes a 06 may be when it 10 years old if I still have it you can ask me how she is holding up and what oil } have been using. Untill then like some one said on this form the oil use today is better than what was used 30 yrs ago ...so use what you want.. hell try supertech(synthic) from walmart I just think you will change it more often.Buddy of mine just used valvoline 20/50 and I know they have a record of mixing a good oil. And he Rides.... JMTC

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
This post will turn into a religious post on this subect, All I can tell you is that a lot people use Amsol oil and stand by it Golden Spectro and Rp oil. Pesonaly I would say do your own math and come up with a conclusion. But I picked RP because my Mech uses it have been using it for years in all my sports bikes so I said hey it works good in this I'm going to put it in my. Vtwin. My mech races has some records and if your in the area his name is know Gleen stickels have brole some Records in the area motorcyle and snowmobile...yes. snowmobile....I agree with everyone else all oils are not created equal... but Mobil 1 I wouldn't evnen run that in my car.... Personaly if castrol made a MC oil I would be sold. So do some serches and come up with your own conclusion... Ask around mike bikes a 06 may be when it 10 years old if I still have it you can ask me how she is holding up and what oil } have been using. Untill then like some one said on this form the oil use today is better than what was used 30 yrs ago ...so use what you want.. hell try supertech(synthic) from walmart I just think you will change it more often.Buddy of mine just used valvoline 20/50 and I know they have a record of mixing a good oil. And he Rides.... JMTC
Castrol does make a MC oil. It is the Castrol 4t 10w40, 20w50. Not sure they make a synthetic version though. I will say it is the cleanest oil I have poured out of a bottle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oils for our bikes...

Hey,
I have two pennies... FROM THE MANUAL

ENGINE OIL (FOR USA)
Oil quality is a major contributor to your engine's performance and life. Always select good quality engine oil.
Suzuki recommends the use of SUZUKI PERFORMANCE 4 MOTOR OIL or equivalent engine oil. Use of
API SF/SG or SH/SJ with JASO MA.
Suzuki recommends the use of SAE 10W-40 engine oil.

Check the additives in whatever oil you decide to use... It should have the stated additives, or it will not properly protect your clutch. Remember, it is a wet plate clutch...

For those of you who don't know me, I have had my 9 since September 07 and have put 33,380 miles, as of this past thursday on mine. It had a slight shudder in the clutch when I swapped the clutch plates out last Saturday... Take care of your bike and it will take care of you... Remember, the posts some folks put up that reference a particular website that boasts about the oil represented by that website reflects the opinions of the poster... Sometimes, these are the result of hard won lessons... We want you to have as much success and pleasure with your bike as we have with ours... I say, use the oil you want, and Royal Purple makes some VERY GOOD synthetic oil. Just remember, if it does not have the proper additives, you might as well have some some very cheap oil in your crankcase... They will both cause damage to your clutch and your engine...

Just my two pennies,

Randy

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks guys...

Taliking about oil is like politics, I guess we wont really every know the truth, But first hand expericenc from others does help.it just may help to ask one of the old guys who hae had there bikes for years what they have uses, but like every thing else the quality goes down after time. This is the joy of this site fist hand knowlegde that the manufacture dosent give,"they make the weapons we use them".

"But we know its all about the money"

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've been riding motorcycles for 46-years and have used about every brand of oil in my motorcyces and I can tell you that I haven't noticed any remarkable differences between any of the different brands that I have used. A lot of what's posted is just preceived differences. Some like one brand of oil because they buy it at an auto parts store vs. Walmart so they think it's better or one brand costs more so it must be better. Your buddy races so what he uses must be the best. In my opinion, most all motorcycle oil will work well in your motorcycle if you change as often as you should and you ride it the way it is built for.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I agree

I couldnt have said that any better.There is another post on this debate but I think you hit the hammer on the nail, change it reggulary and how you ride.I just had one friend of mine who rides a Hardly say he uses amsoilfull stynthic and he changes his evry 7000 miles I was like wow, I dont think I would do that. But to each is own. IF i did i woul ddo two filter changes in between.

I've been riding motorcycles for 46-years and have used about every brand of oil in my motorcyces and I can tell you that I haven't noticed any remarkable differences between any of the different brands that I have used. A lot of what's posted is just preceived differences. Some like one brand of oil because they buy it at an auto parts store vs. Walmart so they think it's better or one brand costs more so it must be better. Your buddy races so what he uses must be the best. In my opinion, most all motorcycle oil will work well in your motorcycle if you change as often as you should and you ride it the way it is built for.

G

·
I've used Amsoil synthetics in all my vehicles for 25 yrs. I have used the extended drain intervals and have put over 100K miles on several of them. I run my bikes for 10K between changes and change the filter at 5K and top it off. If I buy it new I wait till the 3rd service to change. I ride hard an put lots of miles on my bikes and I wouldn't use anything but Amsoil in any of them. I have put over 40K miles on each of 6 different bikes in the last 10 yrs and not a single problem. Several were still running like new with close to 3 times that when I sold or trade them.

In my long and varied experience with Amsoil I have found it to work exceptionally well. I use it and all of their products in my $50K corvette Z06. It just works.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Im jeoulous....

:drool:pegasus i did like yopu untill I read your post about haveinga Vet z06 now im hateing... lol I love that car still working to get one. Pm me a pic.And if you run Amsoil in that with no complaints I guess your right stick to it.:bigthumbsup:

I've used Amsoil synthetics in all my vehicles for 25 yrs. I have used the extended drain intervals and have put over 100K miles on several of them. I run my bikes for 10K between changes and change the filter at 5K and top it off. If I buy it new I wait till the 3rd service to change. I ride hard an put lots of miles on my bikes and I wouldn't use anything but Amsoil in any of them. I have put over 40K miles on each of 6 different bikes in the last 10 yrs and not a single problem. Several were still running like new with close to 3 times that when I sold or trade them.

In my long and varied experience with Amsoil I have found it to work exceptionally well. I use it and all of their products in my $50K corvette Z06. It just works.

G

·
:drool:pegasus i did like yopu untill I read your post about haveinga Vet z06 now im hateing... lol I love that car still working to get one. Pm me a pic.And if you run Amsoil in that with no complaints I guess your right stick to it.:bigthumbsup:
I don't have hardly any pics of it and none on a web host so can't paste in a PM. Besides it's for sale and I sould let every body know.

2004 Z06 27K mi in like new condition.

Borla catback, K&N cold air, Granatelli MAF, Hyperteck program, clearbra, Michelin P zeros. And the Z06 comes loaded with all the factory goodies.

$30K

I know, I know, the for sale section...... later. Just replying to post for now.

PM all responses. Don't jack the thread.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
I run Mobil 4t 10w40 and a local member ran the same and then tried Amsoil 10w40. With the Amsoil in it, it runs 10 degrees hotter. Don't know why but it does. But he told me that he is going back to Mobil 1 4T 10w40 on his next oil change.

G

·
I run Mobil 4t 10w40 and a local member ran the same and then tried Amsoil 10w40. With the Amsoil in it, it runs 10 degrees hotter. Don't know why but it does. But he told me that he is going back to Mobil 1 4T 10w40 on his next oil change.
How did he measure that. If he was going by an oil temp gadge that's a good thing. It means the oil is pulling more heat out of the engine, which is what you want. That means that the engine componants that don't benefit from contact with the coolant are running cooler because the oil has absorbed the heat. The only true way to measure oil cooling effectiveness is throught the coolant temperature, without a thermostat, which regulates the temperature of the engine. If it is an air cooled engine you need a head temperature gadge to measure it.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
I never looked at it that way. Thanks for the in site. And yes he was using an oil temp gauge that goes into the oil fill tube.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Funny..I used mobil 1 syn. 4t ...The bike made alot of noise and didn`t shift very well and ran hot..I switched to 10-40 Torco full syn. It now runs smoother,Quieter,and cooler...and it shifts Awseome...And I don`t sell torco I just use it....:dontknow:

G

·
Truth in Advertising: BP v. Royal Purple
The April 8, 2009 edition of Lube Report, a weekly email newsletter from Lubes 'N Greases magazine, carries a lead story by editor George Gill titled Truth in Advertising: BP vs. Royal Purple. As it turns out Royal Purple was taken to task by The National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus. The NAD recommended that Royal Purple discontinue making many of their performance claims due to faulty documentation and anecdotal evidence.
To read this story in its entirety visit http://www.imakenews.com/lng/

1 - 20 of 34 Posts