M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people. I have just brought a 109 and i love it BUT am alittle worried about the noisey gear change mostly 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd is this normal for the 109 or do i need to take it back to the shop. this is a great site and im learning alot from it. its good to know that someone will have an answer thanks all :read: :2excited: :#1:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I put in Amsoil full synthetic when I changed the oil and it got a bit quieter.. Certainly easier to shift.. But 2 days after the oil change I had to park it for a month due to business trips.. So its going to be a bit before I get to ride again :(

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Hey we ain't got no noisy gear change up here !

BUT I did hear that they ship all the lemons down-under  :a20: :hot:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Daltonh has a good point ,cause mine shift really good if i don't run 1st out to much say go on to 2500 then into 2nd gear smooth :D

Also I find that if you go from 5th to 4th and let it out at 40 mph and from 4th to 3rd and let the clutch out at 30 mph it;s as smootthhh as you can get this is just crazing NOT racing :D Every body has there on way,this is just a guide line to keep you from being thrown over the handle bars :D I'm sure you know how to ride or you wouldn't be on a 109 :evil: later silentrider

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I also notice that my bike got a lot better after the 600 mile service :bigthumbsup:

Like anything it has a break in period, RIDE that thing :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
: bigthumbsup: thanks for ur input and thank you KEV yes we know new zealand is the dumping ground for the import jap cars at dealers top price but we only get the best of the bikes even if its a long time after the states ::)

·
Registered
48 Posts
You will probably notice that the shifting and clutch characteristics change over the course of the break in. For the first two hundred miles I had noticeable shift effort and occasional clutch feathering needed to go into first. As time goes by it gets smoother. I think this is normal as I've read other posts and there were whole threads dedicated to it. Honestly the only down side to a site like this is it causes people to obsess about small idiosyncrasies of the bike. Like the guy previously said: Ride it! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
386 Posts
I guess it is all down to what you have been used to. Nearly all of my previous bike were dirt bikes, KTM 500, Husaberg 501 etc and I would normally just use the clutch in first and when changing quickly still do on the 109. So with this, I really don't know any better but I agree with the others about the Oil. I was going to put in Amsoil but put the miles on too quickly so had to get a 600 mile service done before I could order.
I ended up going to a local motorcycle service shop and they put in Castrol Synthetic Blend and not only was it much quieter and smoother but the fuel economy seemed to get much better too!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:D took 1 persons advice and get out of 1st gear under 2500 revs and no noise from gear change then speed shift the rest of the box and all good the things that can be learned from this site. again thank you all :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Right before you shift,put a little pre-load(upward pressure) on the lever. It helps it shift allot smoother. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I HAVE ABOUT 4500 MILES ON MINE AND IT CLUNKS PRETTY HARD FROM 1ST TO 2ND MAYBE I WILL PUT SYNTHETIC IN ON MY NEXT OIL CHANGE

·
Registered
197 Posts
Relax this is normal - I can hear my wifes M-50 shifting 20 FT. in front of me. I love the noise it means i am going to pass you now. LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts