M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I took the plunge today. My shifting has fallen off at around 2000 miles my last two changes. I was using Motul 10w40, which is about $10/quart. False neutrals on 5-4 and 4-3 downshift mainly. NO upshift issues, in fact I have never missed a dreaded 1-2 or 2-3 upshift since I have owned the beast. So, I decided that if my bike is going to eat oil with my riding style, I need to see where I can save.

So, I used my jug of Rotella T6 5w40 today and put about 100 miles on the oil. Shifting back to smooth, no false neutrals. I must say this oil seems to feel like a 50 weight, something I was skeptical about when I read it on another forum. Less vibration is the first thing you notice, but everything else just seems smoother too, downshifting, up shifting, all of it.

And at $20/gallon, I can afford to change it every 2000 miles. I am hoping my Rotella lasts longer, but I don't think I'll get 1900 more miles this season, maybe half that if I'm lucky. So, have to wait till spring.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Interesting. I sometimes have clutch shudder. Some say a lighter oil might help? I might try the Rotella T6 5w40. My shifts are also on the clunkie side. I now use the Mobil 1 for Motorcycles. Keep us informed on how it goes. And thanks.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Cluth / Oil

I have clutch shudder at times when first starting off. I kinda attributed it to this bike. I've ridden Suzuki's for a long time, and you always have to shift from 1 - 2 like you mean it.

I'm no mechanic, but I always thought Rotella T was diesel oil.
I see some people on here swear by Amsoil, and others don't. Any explanations about Rotella T, or Amsoil either one?

I'm new to the 109, and just learning.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have clutch shudder at times when first starting off. I kinda attributed it to this bike. I've ridden Suzuki's for a long time, and you always have to shift from 1 - 2 like you mean it.

I'm no mechanic, but I always thought Rotella T was diesel oil.
I see some people on here swear by Amsoil, and others don't. Any explanations about Rotella T, or Amsoil either one?

I'm new to the 109, and just learning.
Rotella is actually JASO MA certified. JASO, from the bobistheoilguy.com site:

"The JASO Engine Oil Standards Implementation Panel consists of six organizations; Petroleum Association of Japan (PAJ), Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association, Inc. (JAMA), Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, Inc. (JSAE), Land Engine Manufacturers Association (LEMA), Japan Lubricating Oil Society (JALOS), and Japan Boating Industry Association (JBIA) as well as other concerned companies (lubricant additive manufacturers)."

"The JASO MA rating came about due to the concerns of Japanese motorcycle manufacturers that the new four cycle oils being developed for autos might not be suitable for use in wet clutches. I suspect that they account for over 99% of the wet clutch engines being produced worldwide."

---End quotes.

So in other words, Rotella is a high pressure oil with additives that increase the shear stability, in essence being a great thing in our engines that share oil with the tranny, the tranny being a killer of oil with the gear mesh. Also, there are no additives thought to cause undue slippage in our wet clutches.

Bing bam boom. :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Interesting.....:pop::pop::pop:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Rotella is actually JASO MA certified. JASO, from the bobistheoilguy.com site:

"The JASO Engine Oil Standards Implementation Panel consists of six organizations; Petroleum Association of Japan (PAJ), Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association, Inc. (JAMA), Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, Inc. (JSAE), Land Engine Manufacturers Association (LEMA), Japan Lubricating Oil Society (JALOS), and Japan Boating Industry Association (JBIA) as well as other concerned companies (lubricant additive manufacturers)."

"The JASO MA rating came about due to the concerns of Japanese motorcycle manufacturers that the new four cycle oils being developed for autos might not be suitable for use in wet clutches. I suspect that they account for over 99% of the wet clutch engines being produced worldwide."

---End quotes.

So in other words, Rotella is a high pressure oil with additives that increase the shear stability, in essence being a great thing in our engines that share oil with the tranny, the tranny being a killer of oil with the gear mesh. Also, there are no additives thought to cause undue slippage in our wet clutches.

Bing bam boom. :)
So, with all this said, Where can I buy this oil?

Jason

·
Registered
423 Posts
Autozone... Its made by Shell, common oil. Ive been running in my Subaru WRX, alot in the Suby world swear by this oil, oil tests have shown it does not burn off as quickly, and does not break down as bad over time, its really some good s%$t and not expensive at all. I was going to go with Motul on my first oil change but next time may go with Rotella. BTW Mobile 1 does not test well, and experience my brothers have had with Mobile 1 Motorcycle oil in sport bikes has led me to never use that crap again. My brothers cbr1000rr burns oil pretty bad for a newer bike (2008 ), actually a known issue with this model, when he switched from mobile 1 to motul he lost half the oil he used to. In the Suby world Mobile 1 it seems has led to many bearing failures. I hear European Mobile 1 is good, but US grade has "efficiency" additives to reduce friction which seems to cause more harm than good. Heres an interesting site on oil I found http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Autozone... Its made by Shell, common oil. Ive been running in my Subaru WRX, alot in the Suby world swear by this oil, oil tests have shown it does not burn off as quickly, and does not break down as bad over time, its really some good s%$t and not expensive at all. I was going to go with Motul on my first oil change but next time may go with Rotella. BTW Mobile 1 does not test well, and experience my brothers have had with Mobile 1 Motorcycle oil in sport bikes has led me to never use that crap again. My brothers cbr1000rr burns oil pretty bad for a newer bike (2008 ), actually a known issue with this model, when he switched from mobile 1 to motul he lost half the oil he used to. In the Suby world Mobile 1 it seems has led to many bearing failures. I hear European Mobile 1 is good, but US grade has "efficiency" additives to reduce friction which seems to cause more harm than good. Heres an interesting site on oil I found http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html
Good sh*t? I am buying every gallon I can find at Walmart!! :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
That article did say that the Motorcycle Mobile 1 did test well, but between what Ive heard from Subaru forums and local performance shops about it in cars, and from my brothers experience of the Motorcycle oil burning off so much more quickly (due to lower viscosity and more oil getting into the combustion chamber Im guessing) I have decided to stay away.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Good sh*t? I am buying every gallon I can find at Walmart!!

Glad I don't live by KAWZX7. He probably cleaned out all the Walmarts by now

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I've been using Rotella in my high performance 4-stroke MX bikes for years. It's has a great rep in this industry for the new 4-T motors. We have to change oil a lot and motors love fresh oil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Mark my words, once this gets popular, it will be double. 5 gallons so far! Bike has not felt better. Very positive shifting, and vibrates less. Stock exhaust has taken on a little bit of basso profundo. Everything feels more connected than I have felt in the 4800 miles I have driven it.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I've run Rotella T since my first 109 oil change. Many V-twin folks swear by it. And it's cheap enough that I can replace it often.

Reminds me, I need to get some more.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Bet he hasnt hit the Autozones and Checkers (O'Reilly's) yet, better hurry before he sees this post ;)

Im glad to see it has been proven worthy in motorcycles, I feel even more confident in this oil. Will definitly go with Rotella on my first change, which needs to be soon. Ive put 1200 miles on the bike since I got it, was told oil had been changed but not sure exactly at what mileage.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If anyone is wondering why this oil is so cheap and so good, its because it is actually designed and marketed for commercial diesel engines, such as tractor trailers and heavy farm and construction equipment. It is designed to exceed the requirements of Caterpillar, Volvo, etc to withstand the high temperatures and abuse those poor engines go through. Its not overly priced as a consumer "high performance" oil like Mobile 1.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts