M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here.

Recently test rode a blue LE. This 9 had a huge rear tire and some engines mods .... I found it hard to shift and turning was not so easy either. Suffice to say I passed on that 9.

My Motorcycle experience is mostly Sportbikes from 1995 to today, but now at age 44, I want to just cruise and chill. I'm 5'9 and 165 lbs.

Not sure if the 9 is for me. I have no interest in Harleys so the 9 seems like the next best thing to a Cruiser / Sportbike.

I heard the M109R is not so easy to control in the event an emergency, like on my now sold R1. But you can't have it all.

Thanks

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
the change is alot differant to an R1, I used to have one.

you cant ride an R1 like you ride a 9, to differant bikes.

you have to change it like you mean it, you will get used to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scotty --

You adjusted to the 9 from an R1 stance without problems? Did the shear size of the 9 intimidate you? I'm looking forward to test riding a bone stock 9 with normal tires and no engine mods .... The forward controls threw me for a loop ... I guess I will adjust over time.

Comfort level on the 9 once up to speed must be wonderful over the crotched down R1 stance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Newbie here.

Recently test rode a blue LE. This 9 had a huge rear tire and some engines mods .... I found it hard to shift and turning was not so easy either. Suffice to say I passed on that 9.

My Motorcycle experience is mostly Sportbikes from 1995 to today, but now at age 44, I want to just cruise and chill. I'm 5'9 and 165 lbs.

Not sure if the 9 is for me. I have no interest in Harleys so the 9 seems like the next best thing to a Cruiser / Sportbike.

I heard the M109R is not so easy to control in the event an emergency, like on my now sold R1. But you can't have it all.

Thanks
You could always take a M90 (1500cc) for a test run.....just a bit smaller version of the M109....wont pull your arms out of there sockets...but more than enough power to have some serious fun on.... a bit more agile in the corners. Much the same look... have had good reviews.... there are some great deals available on them as there are heaps of 09 unsold. Plenty of comparisons from people on the site as well.:bigthumbsup: My 2c....

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have rode many bikes throughout my adult life. FZR1000, R1, R6 and a royal star, bmw and a harley. When I bought my 9, the bike before it was a R6. There is an adjustment period for sure.
But once you feel the difference between putting it into a corner, and letting it fall into the corner, you will start to get the pure enjoyment of this bike. Take it all in...the sound of the bike, the weight ...the gobs of torque....the look...it's a different ride man. One of the best rides I have ever had.
Good Luck.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. :D

The rear tire stock is a 240mm, and most go to a 250 or 260 at the first change. So it may be the stock tire you're looking at.

The bike does take some getting used to. I've ridden for over 40 years and I was a bit intimidated by it at first, but after a while it doesn't seem so big and everything else seems small.

And it's a good transition bike, you have a lot more power than a standard cruiser and it handles well, so you're not losing as much performance.

Shifting takes a bit of practice to get right, but once you have some experience on it, it shifts fine. Getting some miles on it helps too.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Newbie here.

Thanks
I returned to riding after a 25 year absence. Last bike I had was a Honda CT 125. I chose the 9 based on excellent reviews, unique look. Couldn't even test drive it before I bought as I had no license. Still getting to know and respect her power. As far as shifting, if I'm not mistaken that only cropped up on some '06/07 models. I've never had a problem with my '08. Yes, the wide rear does take some getting used to, especially in low speed maneuvering (that's what she said!!!). I agree with the other poster - you don't force the bike into a turn, rather you guide it in and lean into the turn...it will do the rest. Good luck, hope to see you back as a 9'er:bigthumbsup:

From this!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>To this!!!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. :D

The rear tire stock is a 240mm, and most go to a 250 or 260 at the first change. So it may be the stock tire you're looking at.

The bike does take some getting used to. I've ridden for over 40 years and I was a bit intimidated by it at first, but after a while it doesn't seem so big and everything else seems small.

And it's a good transition bike, you have a lot more power than a standard cruiser and it handles well, so you're not losing as much performance.

Shifting takes a bit of practice to get right, but once you have some experience on it, it shifts fine. Getting some miles on it helps too.
What he said, LOL! :bigthumbsup: ;)

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Scotty --

You adjusted to the 9 from an R1 stance without problems? Did the shear size of the 9 intimidate you? I'm looking forward to test riding a bone stock 9 with normal tires and no engine mods .... The forward controls threw me for a loop ... I guess I will adjust over time.

Comfort level on the 9 once up to speed must be wonderful over the crotched down R1 stance.
No probs at all, well only time i got the wobbles is the first time i got on the 9 and put my feet where they used to go on the R1 :eek:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Your best choice is the 9

She handles like she's on rails. Yes, it's not a sportbike but it's better. I had alot of close calls and I had no problems saving our azzess.

As to you question about color let me let you in on something. It really doesn't matter because whever you go you'll steal the show with a 9. However, I am partial to the LE's and the blue and white is a really good looking bike. I have an 09 LE blue on pearl.

Newbie here.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Thanks to all .... :bigthumbsup:

One more question.

Pros and Cons to White vs Black ... ? ( Best Color Scheme )
Black's harder to keep clean, IMO, and shows swirl marks much more easily.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The nine is one of the best on the road. As far as shifting in time it will shift smooth. As far as handle, its all in the handle bars. If you want to lie it down in a corner all you have to do is push the handle bar to the left to lie the bike down on the right, left you push the bar to the right and it will fall to the left. Stay in the center of the bike, It will do it all. As far as the tire size it don't rely matter. The only time it rely matters it if you lower the bike and drag the back of the bike on the road. Thats where lots have been having problems.

The best to do is keep it stock. You can change tires and thats not a problem.
You can drag the front and have no problems. DON'T DRAG THE BACK OF THE BIKE. YOU WILL END UP IN THE BUSHES.
Good luck with the nine. You will love it. Its one of the best cruise sport bikes out.

Dave @ NES.stone

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
The nine is one of the best on the road. As far as shifting in time it will shift smooth. As far as handle, its all in the handle bars. If you want to lie it down in a corner all you have to do is push the handle bar to the left to lie the bike down on the right, left you push the bar to the right and it will fall to the left. Stay in the center of the bike, It will do it all. As far as the tire size it don't rely matter. The only time it rely matters it if you lower the bike and drag the back of the bike on the road. Thats where lots have been having problems.

The best to do is keep it stock. You can change tires and thats not a problem.
You can drag the front and have no problems. DON'T DRAG THE BACK OF THE BIKE. YOU WILL END UP IN THE BUSHES.
Good luck with the nine. You will love it. Its one of the best cruise sport bikes out.

Dave @ NES.stone
WTF?, I got to sit. I'm gettin' dizzy

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
As far as shifting, if I'm not mistaken that only cropped up on some '06/07 models. I've never had a problem with my '08.

I've got an 09 and it shifts tricky just like everyone in this forum describes (like a truck) but you just get used to it I guess :don't know:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
M90 ... ?

I Googled M90 and not much came up.

Checked Craig's List in Florida and nothing ....

Did they make a white M90 ?

Thanks again :bigthumbsup:

G

·
M90 ... ?

I Googled M90 and not much came up.

Checked Craig's List in Florida and nothing ....

Did they make a white M90 ?

Thanks again :bigthumbsup:
Last time I was 5'9" and 165 was in 1989. I hate to say it, but this bike will ride you if you are not careful. Not to say you couldn't ride it, but yes it would be a handful if you had to take evasive action. Most of us on here are 200+, 250+, and have little issue. The M90 would be a good choice. Don't think they made a white one.

Red one in Lake Wales, FL. That near you?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzu...motorcycles&hash=item2a0b6087e8#ht_686wt_1081

1 - 20 of 36 Posts