M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAS ANYONE NOTICED A LARGE AMOUNT OF VIBRATION WHEN ROLLING ON THE THROTTLE FROM A SMOOTH CRUISING SPEED.THE BIKE WILL BE CRUISING FINE AND SMOOTH AND I'LL ROLL ON THE THROTTLE STEADY THEN A VICIOUS VIBRATION GOES THROUGH THE WHOLE BIKE SEEMS TO WORK ITS WAY TO THE TAIL THEN SMOOTHS OUT WHEN RPMS ARE UP.I JUST SWAPPED OUT MY BUELLS IVE BEEN RIDING FOR THREE YEARS AND MAY JUST HAVE NEW BIKE WORRIES ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED

I NOTICE IT ANY TIME IM IN 3 GEAR AND UP JUST AROUND 3000RPM CRUISING AND STEADILY ROLL THE THROTTLE ALMOST ALL OPEN AND THE BIKE WILL ACCELERATE FINE BUT THERES A "ROUGH SPOT" OF VIBRATION THAT DISAPEARS ONCE RPMS SPIN UP.IVE NEVER HAD A SHAFT DRIVEN BIKE AND AM CURIOUS IF THIS IS NORMAL.THANKS

·
Registered
600 Posts
3rd, 4th and 5th gear from 3,000 to 4,000 RPM (especially around 3,400) is where I feel it. I'm used to it now. I look at it as a gentle reminder that you're riding a big twin with huge balls and a bad attitude sometimes :evil: :a18:

·
Registered
750 Posts
I will sometimes downshift just to get the RPM's up. Other than that I am with everyone else. Low RPM's
Swede...

·
Registered
29 Posts
What you're describing is normal and actually built into the bike according to Suzuki. That being said you can definitely smooth out hard roll ons from low RPM by adding a TRE like the ones sold by Jeff Wallace at jsdproducts.com if you havent already done so. Proper timing and combustion at the 2000-3500 rpm range help the bike feel heathier through this range. Good luck Curt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Normal on the 109. It utilizes an enormous amount of torque and tends to shutter/vibrate under load/acceleration. Just a characteristic of the 109.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think I felt this more pre jsd-3m mod. The mod seems to make the power come on smoother in the low gears. my 2c.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Whenever I read that Suzuki designed this into the motor "on purpose," it kinda makes me chuckle.

More likely, they probably spent several months trying to get rid of it, then just said "Screw it" (however you say that in Japanese :D ) and decided to call it a "feature."

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a question that doesn't quite fit this forum but it's the closest forum I could find. Every once in a while when I start from a dead stop the bike will vibrate like crazy. I back off the throttle and can start off normally. This is my first v-twin and am wondering if this is normal. It sort of feels like the clutch is slipping. I have had no other indications of a slipping clutch.

·
Registered
96 Posts
A twin V engine has a vibration inherent in its design. Some overcome it by counter weights, but overall they do vibrate. If you think the 109 vibrates, try a Harley!

The little gadget Jeff sells (that changes the timing) does help to make the engine run smoother. The more cylinders an engine has the smoother it runs, ya ever hear the sound of a V12 revving from 2k all the way up to 10k RPM? Awesome! Actually the 109 revs higher than most V twins, a 7500 RPM redline is unusual for a V engine.

EFE M109

·
Registered
177 Posts
OK so what's this little gadget that Jeff sells and how do I get one? I experience a vibration in my seat (obviously coming from the drive shaft) at the top of every gear. It almosts acts as an indicator to shift gears. I wish I had a sixth gear to wipe out the vibration when im doing 80mph.

·
Registered
389 Posts
bobster said:
OK so what's this little gadget that Jeff sells and how do I get one? I experience a vibration in my seat (obviously coming from the drive shaft) at the top of every gear. It almosts acts as an indicator to shift gears. I wish I had a sixth gear to wipe out the vibration when im doing 80mph.
Wow! You brought up an old post but wisely you used the search feature.
What these guys are referring to is a JSD-3M from http://www.jsdproducts.com/
But, I don't think this is what you are referring to.
It sounds like you are hitting the rev limiter which is in place to protect the engine.
The JSD helps with the timing retardation that Suzuki built into the bike.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Wanted said:
Whenever I read that Suzuki designed this into the motor "on purpose," it kinda makes me chuckle.

More likely, they probably spent several months trying to get rid of it, then just said "Screw it" (however you say that in Japanese :D ) and decided to call it a "feature."
I think you hit the nail on the head. This sounds about right. :eek:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Been a while since ive been to this thread. I have never red lined the bike. Not sure what rpm im at when i feel the shake but i will check it today. I do know its at the top of every gear right before im about to shift. Its very annoying but I think its the drive shaft. Allthough I did not feel this shake on my vtx 1300. But then again, the 9 is a different animal.
I do remember getting up to 100 in 4th gear and there was a point when all vibrations went away and the bike was a smooth as silk sheets. Can't be a break in thing I have 8500 miles now.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
I have what you have exactly, I will be reporting to the dealer to see if it is normal, I already now that the vibration was designed to be there by the main man and the fact he is very proud of it and factored it in as part of the caricature of the bike but is there a normal or an abnormal part to it, I know I got rid of allot when I put in new oil so which is it? we shall see

1 - 20 of 31 Posts