M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding home from work today and I get off the freeway and pass the harley stealership like always and there is a big semi truck and signs for free demo rides so I figure why not? I first rode a dyna wide glide.... did not like it at all. It was small I mean it felt tiny and had no pick up at all. There was nothing memorable I could say about it at all. Next a V-rod nightrod and wow that thing was TINY it sounded more like a buel than the harleys I'm used to hearing. It had a little power but an SV650 would stomp it. I felt cramped and it felt a slight bit top heavy. I really expected more because when that bike debuted I thought it was awesome. It did however have the most power out of the 3 bikes I rode. Lastly I rode a crossbones? not sure the exact model but thats what they called it. It was a hard tail with a springer front end. I was very impressed with this little bike. It was very comfortable in the city and you didnt feel pot holes or train tracks. It was kinda uncomfortable on the highway because you really sit way up on top with nothing blocking any wind at all. I could see your lower back getting very sore from a moderately short highway trip. The one thing I can say positive about all of the harleys I rode today is that they were very smooth shifting. I was power shifting with no clutch on all three bikes from 2nd gear through sixth with no problems. Harley makes a nice transmission. I was also surprised with how quiet the stock pipes were. I guess every harley rider I see on the street has either gutted or aftermarket pipes. I was never so happy to get back on the big ole blue meanie after those harleys. Sometimes it takes a trip in the wilderness to realize how good you have it at home.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I did this a couple years ago and when I was done a sales guy came out and stared asking me what i though and if i had decided on which one i wanted to buy. I stoped looked him in the eyes and told him they were flat no power i told him I would twist the throttle and nothing realy happened NO POWER!!! i was grinning while i said it too, he looked at me and said you must not be rideing them right shifting to fast and not down shifting I told him i was hitting the limiter a couple times while i started walking over to my 9 he followed trying to convince me I was doing something wrong as I hoped on my 9 I told him if you want to ride a real bike take this for a spin he mumbled something under his breath as he turned around and i fired it up and let them all know what real power sounds like (side burners) :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
295 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
62 hp?

I was reading about the 2010 Road King in a magazine while waiting for my wife in the store, and it dynoed at 62 hp. After a pipe and tune, it went up to 74 hp. I just had to smirk to myself, they were impressed with this big gain! So it's no wonder you were underwhelmed after riding your 9 there. Reminds me of the time I drove my Corvette to look at the new turbo Sky roadster. It felt like a toy in comparison. The salesman asked me how I liked it, and after I told him how disappointed I was in the power, he looked at what I drove in, and just gave up and walked away.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I was reading about the 2010 Road King in a magazine while waiting for my wife in the store, and it dynoed at 62 hp. After a pipe and tune, it went up to 74 hp. I just had to smirk to myself, they were impressed with this big gain! So it's no wonder you were underwhelmed after riding your 9 there. Reminds me of the time I drove my Corvette to look at the new turbo Sky roadster. It felt like a toy in comparison. The salesman asked me how I liked it, and after I told him how disappointed I was in the power, he looked at what I drove in, and just gave up and walked away.
$25 grand for 62 HP. What a deal!!!!!!!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ride what you like, who gives a crap about HP. There's always some bike that's faster than another one.

I love my 9, but it has no where near the power and acceleration that all my sportbikes had - still doesn't mean that I don't always enjoy the ride.

But, that's JMO.....

·
Registered
319 Posts
I rented a 2010 Street Gllide in Vegas a couple months ago. Some of the features were nice but there was nothing that told me it was a $24,000 motorcycle. The shaking at idle was annoying as F.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I rented a 2010 Street Gllide in Vegas a couple months ago. Some of the features were nice but there was nothing that told me it was a $24,000 motorcycle. The shaking at idle was annoying as F.
I was sitting at a light the other day next to my buddy on his Road King. He glanced over and asked if my bike was running.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
who gives a crap about HP.
That's what HD guys say. Obviously there are people who care about HP or the bikes that make it wouldn't sell. I've owned Japanese bikes since 1971 and I'm so used to having power, I can't stand riding a bike without it. It's like drinking an non-alcoholic beer....what's the point?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You test rode a motorcycle and the whole time you were on it you thought it was a hardtail?
that's what the dealer said it was. I just looked it up and I see that it is a soft tail.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_U...torcycles/bike/cross_bones.html#/model/flstsb
this bike. it was different, but that's why i wanted to test ride it I'd never been on a bike like it. not my thing but it was the most comfortable of the harleys i rode. Sorry to offend you 95 with my lack of knowledge of the HD line :doorag:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You test rode a motorcycle and the whole time you were on it you thought it was a hardtail?
nice that you have a HD name on a 9 forum btw lol

·
Registered
595 Posts
I've owned Japanese bikes since 1971 and I'm so used to having power, I can't stand riding a bike without it. It's like drinking an non-alcoholic beer....what's the point?
LOL....well said!!!!

I really do understand why people like Harley's.....it's about heritage, classy looks, and the community surrounding the brand....I however value the reliability, economy, and most importantly the performance of the modern Jap bikes. Every time I get on my nine I turn into the same giggly kid that I was the first time I rode it....I will never get tired of unleashing that triple digit horsepower to the fat ass rear wheel. And unlike a crotch rocket, I can ride my 9 comfortably ALL DAY LONG!!!!! It is the perfect bike for aggressive long haul cruising!!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I rented a 2009 Harley Street Glide back in December when I rode around in Florida. Other then the built in audio system and the cruise control, the bike was fairly gutless. Because of that, it was a fairly smooth smooth ride... but lacking personality for sure

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I know none of the Harley owners will admit it, but owning a Harley boils down to one thing; image. They will try to explain away their choice by saying things like HDs have nice chrome, or they look nice, or they sound nice, or they're comfortable, bla, bla, bla... well guess what? There are lots of non-Harley bikes out there that are also all of these things and even better, and most of them cost far less. If someone is willing to spend the kind of money it takes to buy a new Ultra Classic or a Road King, why not go for a Victory Vision? The Vision is superior to any of the HDs in every way; performance, comfort, build quality, the chrome is even nicer than that of the HD, and it has a higher content of American made parts. I'll tell you why. It doesn't project the image of a Harley. Pure and simple, Harleys are all about image.....

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
If someone is willing to spend the kind of money it takes to buy a new Ultra Classic or a Road King, why not go for a Victory Vision? The Vision is superior to any of the HDs in every way; performance, comfort, build quality, the chrome is even nicer than that of the HD, and it has a higher content of American made parts..
:agree:I love the vision if i ever go for a long distance comfort cruiser for 2up riding it will be either a vision or goldwing

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
who gives a crap about HP.
Apparently some Harley guys do. There are a few that I work with that are always talking about adding this or that to their Harleys to get them to go faster. I try not to laugh when I am listening to them because I know there isn't much they can do that would make them fast enough to keep up with my 9.

·
Registered
453 Posts
:evil:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Need I say more. LOL

Safe travels
Paul

1 - 20 of 88 Posts