M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know what a road test for getting a permanent motorcycle license, consists of? thanks for your help. i am in georgia, i assume its basically the same for all states, i don't really know...
:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
154 Posts
The road test I took in NY was drive around the block and do a left and a right figure 8 and circle on a side street. Took about three minutes. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't know about georgia, but when I got mine here in TX back in like '95, the person from the DMV followed me. She was in a car and I on the bike. She would honk once or twice to signify me to turn left or right. All we did was drive around for about 5-10 minutes. It was a major piece of cake. I was very surprised it was not more complicated than it was.

Best of luck to you...hope it all goes well. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
450 Posts
stop between 2 white lines with the front wheel staying in the lines. turning the bike 180 degrees within a box ( difficuly on some bikes ) slalom through some cones. thats about it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Moonbaby said:
I can tell you exactly what the georgia state test is.. But you will have to wait till i take it on saturday...
just wondering i am taking mine tommorrow, friday, i'll let you know lol !!!

:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's an interesting looking course, when I took mine in Wisconsin when I was 16 (nearly 11 years ago now!) I wore a helmet they provided with a speaker in it. I was followed in a car by the DMV individual administering the exam who had a microphone to tell me what to do. I did mine on a '81 GS450 so it was pretty simple!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
it is easier to just take the MSF safety course. When you pass that you just go get the endorsement put on your license.
PLUS!! you learn alot of great stuff.

Sledzep

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here in Minnesota, it's fairly difficult if you use a full size motorcycle, the course was designed for a moped, you take 2 left turns, a quick stop with your front wheel in the box without looking down, you make a u turn, do figure 8's around 5 cones spaced only 4.5 paces apart and staggered 1 ft, then you swing around come in and do a u turn within the lines and stop within 15 ft without locking up your tires, then you do a quick stop within the box after going atleast 13 mph, then you swing around and do the same thing except this time you swerve left or right to avoid an obstacle (if you touch your foot down once your still in the game but severely cuts your points, you touch your foot down twice you have failed) although if you can pass this course, I dare say you should be fairly well on your way to avoiding most anything in your path, good luck with the drivers test :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Dang, I got my license so long ago all I had to do was spell Motorcycle. Drive it in a circle, turn and then another circle...that was 39 years ago...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Maryland

1. Ride through a rectangular box about 12 inches wide and 60' long, but don't touch the sides and you must take 13 seconds or more to do this.

2. Enter the 3point-turn box and exit all while signaling and not touching or stoping.

3. Make a right hand turn through a set of lines which are 18 inches wide and 18"-24" long and make a 90 degree turn.

4. Come to a stop sign and then enter a set of cones and weave in and out of them.

5. Accelerate to at least 3rd gear and then slowdown and down shift all in 150 feet and stop with your front wheel in a box the size of a large pizza.

6. Continue through the course and stop at a cross walk.

I did all of this and was failed because my tire touched the 18" thick stopping line at the cross walk.

·
Registered
516 Posts
bconnally1 said:
I don't know about georgia, but when I got mine here in TX back in like '95, the person from the DMV followed me. She was in a car and I on the bike. She would honk once or twice to signify me to turn left or right. All we did was drive around for about 5-10 minutes. It was a major piece of cake. I was very surprised it was not more complicated than it was.

Best of luck to you...hope it all goes well. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:
Yup, same here, except i got mine WAYYYY back in the early 80's, same deal though.

·
Registered
686 Posts
as you can see, every state is different. I wouldn't want to take the test here on a full-size, full-length cruiser. I took it 20 years ago with a 100cc trail bike and passed with flying colors. The length and weight of a cruiser make it a LOT more difficult on a closed course like that.

From the map, it looks like you have some tight S curves, lane travel, probably something to do with slalom and keeping it in a straight line, and I'm guessing they will include some accelleration decelleration tests.

Good luck, and if you can get your hands on a smaller bike it will be a LOT easier.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Slidell, Louisiana. 

After passing the 25 question test, follow these instructions:

1. Pull out of parking spot and go to exit of parking lot.

2. Make a left onto service road.

3. Make an immediate left back into parking lot at second lot entrance.

4. Pull back into original parking spot that DMV personel so graciously "held" for me by standing in the spot. 

5. Receive motorcycle endorcement. 

I took my MSF course 2 weeks after I got the endorcement. 

·
Registered
76 Posts
MYM109R said:
Here in Minnesota, it's fairly difficult if you use a full size motorcycle, the course was designed for a moped, you take 2 left turns, a quick stop with your front wheel in the box without looking down, you make a u turn, do figure 8's around 5 cones spaced only 4.5 paces apart and staggered 1 ft, then you swing around come in and do a u turn within the lines and stop within 15 ft without locking up your tires, then you do a quick stop within the box after going atleast 13 mph, then you swing around and do the same thing except this time you swerve left or right to avoid an obstacle (if you touch your foot down once your still in the game but severely cuts your points, you touch your foot down twice you have failed) although if you can pass this course, I dare say you should be fairly well on your way to avoiding most anything in your path, good luck with the drivers test :bigthumbsup:
Same exact test in Michigan. You also have to show your bike registration so you can't just borrow someones little bike to take the test. I took mine on my first bike an '04 Volusia 800. Although 109 is much heavier I think it actually handles much easier than the voulusia did.

·
Registered
664 Posts
took my test yesterday.... piece of cake....

1st
Ride through a parallel line area , get up to 12-18 mph and stop smoothly on a line, then U-turn, make a right hand tight turn.....

2nd
drive as fast as you can w/o touching the lines on an arch (same single arch in the pic).. u turn, do the same the other way...

3rd... drive down the parallel strip , 12-18mph, react to left turn, right turn or emergency stop....

that was it...
oh yeah i took this is Carrolton, GA.....and they do have appointments...

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
sledzep01 said:
it is easier to just take the MSF safety course. When you pass that you just go get the endorsement put on your license.
PLUS!! you learn alot of great stuff.

Sledzep
This is probably the most intelligent way to go about getting endorsed, and its fun too. (you may also save money on insurance)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts