M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im planning on riding my bike down to Florida for my upcoming leave (vacation) never gone that far or that long on my bully yet. Looking to get some inputs on what i need to check double check and triple check before heading out. I still need to get a couple things for the bike

1. new wheels
2. road trip bag (forgot the name of the one im looking at) its gotta be big enough for me to fix 2 weeks of clothes and then some.
3. Rain gear

Thats just a few things... if you have any inputs id love to hear them!

·
Registered
488 Posts
GEL SEAT,tools, spare clutch cable, tire plug kit, IPOD.....:D and have at it. I was planning a trip for this summer as well with my friend who has a VTX 1800. We were calling it our WILD HOG RIDE. Unfortunately it never manifested itself, but definitely next year. I just bought my bike in March so all my money went there.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GEL SEAT,tools, spare clutch cable, tire plug kit, IPOD.....:D and have at it. I was planning a trip for this summer as well with my friend who has a VTX 1800. We were calling it our WILD HOG RIDE. Unfortunately it never manifested itself, but definitely next year. I just bought my bike in March so all my money went there.
Gel Seat - Check
Tools - Check
Tire Plug & Clutch cable - need
IPOD - Maybe

OBTW love the Scorpion Tips ordered mine and they didnt fit properly so i bought Corba Tri-Pro Oval 2-1 putting it on today when i get home then sending the old stuff to the shop to get elded together to have as a spare.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Firearm...
knife
back up copy of registration and insurance
carry permit
Replace your fuel filter if you haven't yet and have 10k on it.
Extra cellphone battery and extra charger
extra night riders, (I lose mine ALL THE TIME LOL....)
sunscreen

jazz

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Firearm...
knife
carry permit

jazz
Firearm knife.....LOL should i go ahead and make a mount for my swords too :D
Def. need to swap out fuel filter

·
Registered
214 Posts
So im planning on riding my bike down to Florida for my upcoming leave (vacation) never gone that far or that long on my bully yet. Looking to get some inputs on what i need to check double check and triple check before heading out. I still need to get a couple things for the bike

1. new wheels
2. road trip bag (forgot the name of the one im looking at) its gotta be big enough for me to fix 2 weeks of clothes and then some.
3. Rain gear

Thats just a few things... if you have any inputs id love to hear them!
Just got back from a relatively short trip compared to the one your planning.

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134616

I agree with Gigantor, have a tire plug kit and a spare cable. I broke mine with only 5k miles on it.

I have another option on the gel seat.

Do it yourself. I watched a guy do mine with memory foam at a bike rally. Cost me 250 bucks and it looked so easy a 10 year old could do it. My son sometimes asks me if I'm 12 so I know I could do it. You just remove the staples on the bottom and pull off the cover. Put down whatever you want in added padding ( there are a couple of site threads here ) and staple it back on. Save yourself the money for a new seat for something else. My seat is comfortable, yes, but I could have done it myself.

In addition you will need a good bag, my link above shows what I did. I have also seen pics of guys adding a side bracket above the pipes (presumably on both side of the bike) where he drops in a sleeping bag and tent. I prefer hotels, nothing like a good nights rest to enjoy the next day. I'm not as young as I used to be.

It's starting to cool off now so a half helmet for the cold rain if you get any. I have been caught out in a bad thunder storm before with no cover so you might think about some sort of large poncho to hunker down under if that ever happens. I did not have any choice but to keep going, NOT safe even at 45mph which is all I could do and still guess at the road edge. Windshield was useless to see thru I was soaked, luckily it was not a cold rain.

Are you travelling by yourself? I usually ride with 3 or more other guys, its fun but I would like to try a longer trip by myself. Company is great but you do need to go with the majority on decisions and sometimes you sacrifice for just one in the group, but thats why we are friends.

Back to essentials.

Credit/debit card and cash. You may need something in an out of the way place.

Looking at you avatar I don't think too many would be in a hurry to take something from you but a peace maker will give you piece of mind.

Ray
:super:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Firearm...
knife
carry permit
sunscreen

jazz
I was typing when jazzster posted.

Yes you should take protection ( peacemaker kind ). The swords if you just want to showoff for the ladies and I also think you should familiarize yourself on how to change or at least clean that fuel filter out in the field.

I had to take mine off and clean it out behind a 7-11 six seven hundred miles from home. Saved the whole trip. Took thirty minuets with no experience but I belong to this forum and saved myself alot of agony.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

but to each their own, I'm sure there will be a cop right there when you need one.

Good Luck on the trip!

Jazz

·
Registered
214 Posts
Forgot to mention you can't see the 45. He's a real character. Makes fun of my 22, thats when I tell him to stand in front of it.:doorag:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Trip

addI know no one mentioned it maybe it's not "cool" but I would take a full face helmet!! Keep a half helmet in your bag when you want to be cool. The way it rains here you will be glad you had a full face on. saves you a lot of pain. Oh and Jumper cables...If you are coming anywhere near tampa- st pete give me a holla
E

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome feedback... I've got a few more things to add to my 'tool bag' now! Hopefully i wont be riding by myself if work will let me off for biketoberfest and if they do i hope to catch a few people on their way down. If not then i will be riding alone. I'm heading to Orlando area thinking about stopping off in florence, sc to get some snooze but im going to go as far as i can until i get sleepy. Then 2nd stop will be Jacksonville for the next night (visiting friends) and then finally Orlando.
I'm getting a good knife this week, maybe even getting a lil peacekeeper as backup! I'll keep y'all posted on when i will be leaving. If there's anyone that wants to meet up and ride, even if its only for a 'few miles' i wont turn you away. :D

Ordering some fuel filters and clutch cables now.

My history.. born in NY raised in Fla so im all too familliar with the weather. Grad., Class 2003, from Lake Mary HS went straight to the Navy been in ever since. Currently in Va. Almost had my 9r for a year now and im loving it so far! Usually run into Lone Rider (not sure if he's on here) while im riding. Well thats its for now gotta get back to work.

Oh and there will be some pics up with my new exhaust on the 9 later tonight

·
Registered
214 Posts
Having grown up in Fla .............yet. Carrying is cool I guess, but one has to think how your life will change the instant you pull the trigger. :doorag:
I do agree Paladin,

I no more want to shoot someone than I would shoot myself. I enjoy life and would not want to take one. Just pulling a gun on someone means you better be prepared to use it, I just hope if that time comes when I have to use a gun it's when its my life or the life of a friend or family I need to protect. I don't want to kill anyone but if he has a gun, knife or some thing that is going to put the odds in his favor, resulting in what I think at the time will be grievous injury to said individuals I will stop him.

I hope that time never comes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
First off you are lucky being stationed in VA Beach I was in the Marine Corps for 13 yrs and Little Creek was my first duty station and I loved it. I am actually coming down there next week on vacation. Well have a safe trip take lots of photos.:bigthumbsup:
Awesome feedback... I've got a few more things to add to my 'tool bag' now! Hopefully i wont be riding by myself if work will let me off for biketoberfest and if they do i hope to catch a few people on their way down. If not then i will be riding alone. I'm heading to Orlando area thinking about stopping off in florence, sc to get some snooze but im going to go as far as i can until i get sleepy. Then 2nd stop will be Jacksonville for the next night (visiting friends) and then finally Orlando.
I'm getting a good knife this week, maybe even getting a lil peacekeeper as backup! I'll keep y'all posted on when i will be leaving. If there's anyone that wants to meet up and ride, even if its only for a 'few miles' i wont turn you away. :D

Ordering some fuel filters and clutch cables now.

My history.. born in NY raised in Fla so im all too familliar with the weather. Grad., Class 2003, from Lake Mary HS went straight to the Navy been in ever since. Currently in Va. Almost had my 9r for a year now and im loving it so far! Usually run into Lone Rider (not sure if he's on here) while im riding. Well thats its for now gotta get back to work.

Oh and there will be some pics up with my new exhaust on the 9 later tonight

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hiliarious!!!! Got to work and damn near died i was laughing so hard.

Always need some of these ...Just say'n
:agree:
I've been stationed in Va (Norfolk) before and didnt really care for it... Having grown up in Fla its safe to say that i HATE the cold. I was lucky and got stationed in Mayport and loved it!!! Home was just 2 hours away plus its close to Ga, P-Cola, Tampa, etc... Not really a huge fan of DC.

OBTW, The Corba Tri-Pro Exhaust is on!!!! Took longer than expected, 4 hours, so i dont have pics of it yet. Sound clip will be come too, hopefully before then week is over. Next step is to make her look purdy again.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I live in the sanford area. What days are you coming down? I also served in the Navy. Got out as a OS2
If my command lets me, 13Oct-1Nov, but PFA is the week of the 13th soo i might not be able to. But if thats a no go then im probably going to do 25Oct-8Nov. I'll be in the Sanford/Lake Mary/Orlando area so before i head down there i PM you my info and we can meet up, probably at the Wing House in 17-92 unless theres something better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts