M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm new to the forums here and thought I would start out with a nice thread.

I'm having some problems with scraping! It's to the point where I'm honestly scared to take a right hand turn lol. This is a serious problem because I'm coming from a sport bike, and I naturally love the twisties. I was wondering if anyone else is having similar problems and if there is a fix? It looks as if the exhaust has a fixed hanger and cannot be moved.

I'm not really interested in raising the bike back up because I am in LOVE with the stance... It's not moving haha.

Thanks all for any help/advice!

Pics of said bike! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
No offense man, but wrong pipes for doing the curves. That style of pipe will propably scrape even if you raise it. Almost all exhausts out there for the 9 have a fixed exhaust bracket. Those pipes are really just for cruising the straights. You could raise you shock preload to help in that area, but not sure how much that would help. Maybe some of the other guys with similar exhausts will chime in, good luck!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I do not have those pipes, but I made my own bracket for the Sideburner to hold it a little higher and lose the gigantic stock bracket.

See if you can pitch them up a bit for more clearance, by removing the bracket and loosening the rest of the connections on the pipes so you can get some play. Once you get them where you want them, tighten things back up and you will have the need length for your new hanger bracket. Make that from some flat steel from Home Depot, drill the appropriate holes to run your bolts through and your done.

On a slightly different approach, go air ride. Jack it up for the twists and slam it for the bad ass looks.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No offense man, but wrong pipes for doing the curves. That style of pipe will propably scrape even if you raise it. Almost all exhausts out there for the 9 have a fixed exhaust bracket. Those pipes are really just for cruising the straights. You could raise you shock preload to help in that area, but not sure how much that would help. Maybe some of the other guys with similar exhausts will chime in, good luck!
No offense taken! I bought the bike with those pipes on it. I'm pretty sure they are gonna have to go. I want to do a custom exhaust setup.

Thanks man!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
oh yeah:

:welcome: & nice bike!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not have those pipes, but I made my own bracket for the Sideburner to hold it a little higher and lose the gigantic stock bracket.

See if you can pitch them up a bit for more clearance, by removing the bracket and loosening the rest of the connections on the pipes so you can get some play. Once you get them where you want them, tighten things back up and you will have the need length for your new hanger bracket. Make that from some flat steel from Home Depot, drill the appropriate holes to run your bolts through and your done.

On a slightly different approach, go air ride. Jack it up for the twists and slam it for the bad ass looks.:bigthumbsup:
That is another option too! What air ride systems are the **** for these bikes?

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
That is another option too! What air ride systems are the **** for these bikes?
kewl metal has one and arnott had a good one.......they went plastic on an important part so I am just waiting for them to fix that then I will be riding on air bro..... Welcome and good luck...

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
If it is any consolation , I have the stock exhaust and I'm lowered
2 inches , my exhaust bracket drags , and the skid plate on left side
rear suspension set at #2 , but the pegs don't drag .

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

Sorry man, I like your bike and what you done to it. IMO them pipes just mess it up. Im thinking black tri pro would look really good on it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry man, I like your bike and what you done to it. IMO them pipes just mess it up. Im thinking black tri pro would look really good on it.
O no I agree. I need new pipes. I'm thinking about going custom.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Put the Cobra Tri-Pro 2-into-1 on your bike. It is noticably higher up front, and the muffler is slightly upswept. You will gain ground clearance and performance. My bike is not lowered and I have scraped the stock pipes up near the pegs several times. The Tri-Pro has not done so yet.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe I have my heart set on custom pipes. They will be true duals, offset, and stepped. They will also be 'rat rod' style. My current pipes have got to go!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Have you considered cutting them down to gain some space ? I have cut down a set of pipes for my friend to gain some room ...:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you considered cutting them down to gain some space ? I have cut down a set of pipes for my friend to gain some room ...:bigthumbsup:
I have, but honestly there isnt enough room.. it appears that im scraping far up past the baffle.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Did you get that bike off craigslit? I posted that one when I found it on craigslist on this board. Where are you at in orlando?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have got to do something here soon... This just isnt working out. It's really taking away from the enjoyment of riding... I CANT TURN RIGHT... I might hack up the pipe and mod it myself... as I dont think anyone would want these pipes anyways.:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
i have those pipes on my bike and hit the ground when i turn right, and i do not lowered the beast ... :eek: so i can imagine with 2.5" drop .... :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have those pipes on my bike and hit the ground when i turn right, and i do not lowered the beast ... :eek: so i can imagine with 2.5" drop .... :D
lol.. exactly! I'm entertaining the idea of going with the Arnott air ride system... but apparently ill still have scraping problems?:dontknow:... looks like I need new pipes and air ride.. the only legit way to resolve all of my problems:a20:

Although... I'll be honest, reading all of the Arnott problem threads makes me think twice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts