M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the kewl metal 2 inch risers has anyone put these on and do you need to get longer lines or can they be rerouted

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think someone installed these on before and there was a problem with the clutch cables not being able to be rerouted. I found a post on it from one of the M90 riders on the m90 site.

By BlakeM90:

I bought the 2-inch full riser (with the hole design) from KewlMetal. Their website specifically states that they require a 2-inch extended front brake line. From my research on adding risers I assumed that this also meant a 2-inch extended clutch line as well as throttle cables would be required. I posed this question to KewlMetal via their online customer inquiry page. I did not get a response but was confident that the +2" extended cables would be required.

During the riser install I discovered that the stock riser bolts and washers would not fit the KewlMetal risers - which didn't come with hardware. After that speed bump I managed to get the throttle cables and clutch cable installed but it was difficult. I couldn't get the clutch free play adjusted properly and the throttle cables would bind.

It turns out that the KewlMetal +2" risers require +3-INCH EXTENDED CABLES (Clutch and Throttle).

It sure would have been nice for KewlMetal to publish this information before I bought new cables!! Shame on KewlMetal for not documenting this requirement on the product information webpage for these risers!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't have them, but my understanding is you can reroute the brake line (throttle and clutch cables also).
I put the 2" extenders and brake line from KewlMetal on. The stock clutch and throttle cables can be re-routed from behind the triple clamp to in front and they will work OK. The brake line can be modified by a brake shop, or so I'm told but to be safe, I went with the KewlMetal setup. Even though it was a ghastly price for the brake line. Warning: The brake line is steel braid and covered in a clear plastic, and looks weird with the stock black clutch and throttle cables, so I sprung for a set of Barnett Cables from Phat Performance Parts.

See here: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Cables_s/587702.htm

That made the bike look more finished and the handling from the riser extensions is just perfect for me.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yep - that's me with the KewlMetal +2" full risers. I think I must have been the first to try installing these on a M90 as I ran into the mounting bolt issue. KewlMetal has since started including the proper mounting hardware with the risers.

I didn't want to mess around with re-routing cables and having the possible issue with them rubbing the tank or neck covers. I wanted the stock cable routing so I ordered +2" extended cables only to come to the nasty surprise that they need to be +3-inches.

Brooks at MSN went over and above what he needed to (it was the jerks at KewlMetal that were at fault) and got me a set of +3-inch barnett cables (clutch + throttle cable set) at a very deep discount so it didn't end up costing me much.

The mechanic at MSN temporarily installed one of the throttle cables with both nuts on one side of the mounting 'claw' so I could ride until I got the new cables. I'm actually going to be installing the +3" cables tomorrow.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I sent my brake lines to Moto-Heaven, the distributor for HEL Performance brakelines. They duplicated the lines in stainless steel braid (at extended length for the front) and returned the SS lines to me with 24-hr turnaround. Because they didn't have a fitment for the M90 they gave me the lines at 50% discount with free shipping. Even full price they're half the cost of the kewlmetal lines.

I put the 2" extenders and brake line from KewlMetal on. The stock clutch and throttle cables can be re-routed from behind the triple clamp to in front and they will work OK. The brake line can be modified by a brake shop, or so I'm told but to be safe, I went with the KewlMetal setup. Even though it was a ghastly price for the brake line. Warning: The brake line is steel braid and covered in a clear plastic, and looks weird with the stock black clutch and throttle cables, so I sprung for a set of Barnett Cables from Phat Performance Parts.

See here: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Cables_s/587702.htm

That made the bike look more finished and the handling from the riser extensions is just perfect for me.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Pics

Blake did you have to order the caps seperate? Got any pics?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Blake did you have to order the caps seperate? Got any pics?
Not sure what u mean? i'll see if i can dig up a pic ; i'm still recovering from hard drive crashes (both desktop and laptop Seagate drives failed recently}.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not sure what u mean? i'll see if i can dig up a pic ; i'm still recovering from hard drive crashes (both desktop and laptop Seagate drives failed recently}.
Man, you're confirming my bad feelings - that maybe it's better to not own anything (except a good bike of course).
I had a guy at Fog Hollow (west of STL) look at my bike to put a custom bar on. I don't like the idea of a riser so much. He guessed $400 b/c of all of the cables that would need replacing. And he mentioned that I might not even be happy with a new bar. I don't know...I'm back to: leave good enough alone.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Caps

I was looking online and saw the M109 Risers where the Tach sits on the top but I wanted the caps. They were a different style then the kewlmetal ones.

Anyway Blake can you post a link to the +3 Clutch and Throttle lines? Do they come in colour to match my Hel Lines?

MSN link too please?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts