M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking all over this site on how to for installing the 2in Kewl Metal pull back risers( hole version) have had no luck, did find the video for the 2in extension ad ons, which was pretty good from Big Joe, but the video was from someone who had downloaded it. It seems the video for actually swapping out the risers no longer exists or work.

I already have the +3" throttle. clutch and break lines on, Had a shop put them on,

Question 1: When I place th 10mm bolts back in- should i use locktite on them, red or blue

Any advice from people that has done this would be appreciated.

On the bottom of the risers there are three holes, the 10mm and then two small ones- but I think the 10mm is the only bolt there, so what are the other two for ?

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
If there is no 'how to' it is usually because it was straight forward enough that nobody has felt it was necessary.

That said, the task is as simple as unbolting the old ones and putting on the new.

The 2 other holes are for nubs in the rubber 'spacer' that you will find when you remove the stock risers.

Sure, use locktight. Red is fine, but that is just a matter of opinion, but that is mine.

G

·
If you saw the video you saw that you can re-route the wires and cables. I would make sure to do that, even with the longer cables.

·
Registered
70 Posts
An extra set of hands really help with the handle bars. So they don't hit the tank.besides that it easy to do the rest.take your time good luck and have fun just watch out for that darn mod bug if he bits u there no cure. Ha ha:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
As mentioned before, it's a straight forward job. I used blue Loctite on all of the bolts, since I might want to actually take it apart again later.

Smitty

·
Registered
453 Posts
I used blue loctite. If you ever need to adjust you'll at least be able to remove the bolt. As I found out after I had it all together and there is a slight bit of rubber seal sticking out.....bastard!!! :)

Re the other two holes, couldn't tell ya. Best guess is water drainage, or to line up with the nubs on the rubber gasket? ? ?
Cheers & enjoy
Paul

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Red locktite

Red locktite should only be used on metal parts that don't contact any rubber or plastic parts. Heat must be applied to release the bolt if you have to take it apart again. Use blue locktite, it holds fine against vibration.
You may need a long extention bar to break loose the bolts, Suzuki uses some kind of yellow locktite that is hard to break loose.
A second pair of hands is highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Red locktite should only be used on metal parts that don't contact any rubber or plastic parts. Heat must be applied to release the bolt if you have to take it apart again. Use blue locktite, it holds fine against vibration.
You may need a long extention bar to break loose the bolts, Suzuki uses some kind of yellow locktite that is hard to break loose.
A second pair of hands is highly recommended.
Really?

I have just always use red as my default.

I have never had any problem getting it out and have never used heat.:dontknow:

·
Registered
198 Posts
The red is overkill for this application. Will it work - yes, but it's not required and the blue will give you the chance of fewer problems if you need to disassemble later.

Smitty

1 - 10 of 10 Posts