M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a nice, sunny day today I decided to go for a short ride around town. Knowing it was under 40 degrees, I knew I would have to dress for it. So I put on long johns, put the liner in my jacket, wore my gloves and my baclava under the helmet. I never got above about 40 mph, and wasn't gone more than 20 minutes. When it gets that cold, the cold just has a way of seeping in. Riding on the highway even for just a couple of minutes would've been absolutely misreable! I was somewhat cold when I got home, and if I would've been out much longer, it would've been miserable. I guess once it get below about 45, it just too cold to even be enjoyable (for me anyway). I don't know how you guys can stand to ride in the cold. :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
For you grampi....just for you. I never wear long johns...I do use flannel lined jeans and or leather chaps, or my winter armored pants(they are warm into the teens) I have gloves that will work for up to an hour in the 20's at highway speeds. A shirt with a fleece pullover with turtle neck and my old trusty Power Trip leather actually works down to the teens as well for up to an hour at highway speeds. As I get older I may try a little electric assist :D but being an anti-tech guy I'll resist it as long as I can. I find going to work in the low twenty's and teens is more exhilarating at 5am then a weight work out and I feel good for a few hours thereafter...now to be honest,I only work 10 miles from home but I do short road trips....like 50-75 miles all winter long. I hate to miss riding for more then a few days at a time.:bigthumbsup: OK I'm a bit warm blooded too so that helps...

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'm with Gramps, more than a few day of not riding makes for a bad day, I don't like the extra time it takes to get ready but once I'm on the road it's all good.....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Warm weather is definitely more fun but with a little prep, I manage to ride mostly year round unless it's way below freezing or raining. Had a black ice incident once and that was enough for me!

I use a thinsulate lined zip up hooded sweatshirt under my riding jacket with the liner installed. then i have a good pair of gloves with a gauntlet that covers my jacket sleeves so there's NO wind coming up my arms. I think keeping hands warm make ALL the difference. Once your hands get cold, it's no fun and it's even dangerous.

I don't have a balaclava (sp?) but I wear a full face helmet so my head, face and ears are ok. Then it's just jeans and normal boots. I can go about and 1 1/2 to 2 hours before I need to stop.

The 9's too much fun to leave it in the garage. Even this weekend, the weather's clear but high in the mid 40's so I've been out each day! :D:clap2::D

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I did plenty of cold-weather riding when I was stationed in Portsmouth, NM. Only when the roads were dry and I knew the temp would be good on the way home.

Chaps, lined leather jacket, neoprene mask, and gloves (just plain old Mechanix gloves). Sometimes as cold as 20-25 in the morning, but 45-50 in the afternoon. About 25-30 minutes each way to-from work.

Never needed coffee in the morning! :D

G

·
I limit my rides to 30 minutes or less. I have Duofold thin thermals, for hikers, those work well with my Under Armour gloves and hat. Today it was 35 degrees, I rode for maybe 15 minutes. :)

Gotta give the Avon rear and Bridgestone front credit. Didn't push 'em too hard, but stuck pretty well, no wheelspin or sliding while in turns.

Gonna be a banner day tomorrow, it's gonna be low 40's. Gonna roll the sportbike around too. Gotta watch those lean angles. Tires not gonna stick as well.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Being a nice, sunny day today I decided to go for a short ride around town. Knowing it was under 40 degrees, I knew I would have to dress for it. So I put on long johns, put the liner in my jacket, wore my gloves and my baclava under the helmet. I never got above about 40 mph, and wasn't gone more than 20 minutes. When it gets that cold, the cold just has a way of seeping in. Riding on the highway even for just a couple of minutes would've been absolutely misreable! I was somewhat cold when I got home, and if I would've been out much longer, it would've been miserable. I guess once it get below about 45, it just too cold to even be enjoyable (for me anyway). I don't know how you guys can stand to ride in the cold. :dontknow:
Agreed gramps. IF, I feel the need to go out in minus 40* weather it is my first gear waterproof suit, wired for my heated gloves, just plug maself in when I mount the trusty steed.

I recently got one of those baclavas and that is nice. My chin was the only thing that would get frigid cold. Lot nicer when a lil warmer. but after being in the cabin for over a week now 6 " of snow, almost gone now but the rain lingers. First sunny day, period, I am riding.....

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I ride to work all year, takes 45 minutes. I ride if it is above 32 because I am afraid of hitting black ice. I stay warm because I have the proper clothing except for gloves. They are top notch but I had to add hippo hands and they are not the answer if I have to ride for more than an hour at 32 degrees. I will be getting Gerbing Hybrids so I don't have to be connected to the bike, but they cost 200 plus 100 for two batteries that fit in the glove. You still can hook them up to the bike if you want. It is an option.

Here is a pic of the hippo hands, not pretty, but they work.

Doc

hippo hands

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I ride year round ..... I just dress warm and put the leathers over it....and have a bigger helmut that i can wear a face mask under it keeps the whole face warmer... :doorag:

·
Registered
169 Posts
snowmobile time almost

I ride year round ..... I just dress warm and put the leathers over it....and have a bigger helmut that i can wear a face mask under it keeps the whole face warmer... :doorag:
You could ride year round up here if you have a snowmobile with hand warmers lol .

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
You could ride year round up here if you have a snowmobile with hand warmers lol .
LOL .... we usually don't get that much snow.... if it gets too bad then I have to resort to the quad and dirt bike...... a snowmobile here would sit way too much but they sure look like fun.... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
924 Posts
I am a all weather rider in the Pasific North West and a firm believer in wearing the right gear. Weather doesnt bother me until it gets icey or near zero. Boot warmers help out alot (like and warmers but for your socks) I do have to say I have spent alot of coin on the right gear but worth it.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
I came [] that close to riding this morning, but it was 30 degrees and we had some light snow flurries. And I'm still getting over a cold. So I left it parked and took the truck instead. I don't mind riding for a few miles near freezing, but it takes me forever to get warmed up again. Body mass is good for keeping the cold out, but once it soaks in it takes a while to get back to warm again.

I layer clothes and find it better than wearing one bulky coat or gloves. Glove liners work well and a lined leather jacket with a couple layers under it. I have some heavy wool socks that I wear with my boots that do a decent job of keeping the toes warm.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I can not say enough good things about Gator Skin thermals.

They are like any other pair of thermals, but the outer layer is a sprayed on rubber coating that makes them very wind resistant, bordering on windproof.

Keeping that breeze off of your legs, with the thermal layer between, keeps you warmer than you would expect.

Plus, since they are no heavier than other thermals, you can wear them inside and not be roasting your chestnuts off.

The only complaint I have with them is that the pants have no spot to open to use a urinal. Instead you are left with needing to drop your jeans and pull down the thermals, which leaves me looking for a stall when the need arises.

I have worn just the Gator Skin pants under a regular pair of jeans on a 2 hour ride home at 2am when the temperature dropped to 23f on what had been a 45f day of riding. I am not going to tell you I was toasty, but I was not uncomfortably cold.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
first gear jacket and gloves, leather coat, and chaps, with thinsulate boots and you can ride all day with comfort. Its the frost in the morning at 4 when I leave for work that kills me. the rear just slides out, no fun. but once the roads warm up from the sun. lets ride.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I go all season too. Winter before last I had to ride all winter as my car was broken. 6am, 12*, long johns, pants, pant shells, fleece sweater, summer MC jacket with liner, snowboarding coat, full face helmet with a mask underneath (mostly for the neck), wool socks and tall boots, and heated gloves and I would be sweating when I got to work (toes and fingers still a little cold). Luckily there isnt much snow in albuquerque, just cold.

G

·
I have yet to find cold enough weather for my firstgear one piece riding gear........that thing just stays warm..no need for heated gear ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
cold riding

hey guy, to begin with a windshield helps a lot. next get your self a pair of good ski gloves. then your normal dress for winter, then go to wal-mart and get you a set of insulated work coveralls. they are cheep,simple and very warm. you can even find them in black, which is a little more bikerish. these on top of your other clothes are not too bulky, but will keep you warm in 30* weather. also a neck scarf and a full face helmet with a hood. do that and you can ride all day.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I have yet to find cold enough weather for my firstgear one piece riding gear........that thing just stays warm..no need for heated gear ...
Yes it does, but still had to get the heated gloves, brrrrrrrrr Finger tips go numb they get so cold. Not anymore........

1 - 20 of 31 Posts