M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't let anyone tell you that this bike doesn't handle the wet road...Went to Julian Ca for some apple pie today...well we got caught in several downpours...very cold and very wet and it handled the wet road like a champ...this on the stock tires I can't wait till I can put the Metzlers on, I'm very happy except for the cleanup on the bike I'll have to do tomorrow...

·
Registered
34 Posts
if you want to put more sticky race style tires on you wont want to drive in the rain. sporty tires great for corners and sticking. horrible for rain. no rain grooves.......

i think part of the reason it possibly handles better than say a crotch rocket in the rain is it weighs twice as much? that part is just a guess .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Trogdor said:
Don't let anyone tell you that this bike doesn't handle the wet road...Went to Julian Ca for some apple pie today...well we got caught in several downpours...very cold and very wet and it handled the wet road like a champ...this on the stock tires I can't wait till I can put the Metzlers on, I'm very happy except for the cleanup on the bike I'll have to do tomorrow...
rode the twistys in the rain, must have handled real well.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Almost any BIG bike handles the wet pavement better than a light one. But they all will skid if pushed too much. :D The worst part of riding in the rain,is the "clean up" after the ride. Road film,and grime sticks to everything,and in every little groove,and crack. A real pain to clean up! :(

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I'm impressed with mine. If you didn't see my "First Real Oh Sh!t moment" post a few days ago, I hit a flooded road doing about 35 to 45 and stayed up. When I got the bike stopped, I was standing in a foot of water. Drove it out the other side without event. Scared the piss outta me, but it remained stable. That being said, the back tire was very quick to lose traction when I applied it trying to stop before hitting the water.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Medic1210 said:
I'm impressed with mine. If you didn't see my "First Real Oh Sh!t moment" post a few days ago, I hit a flooded road doing about 35 to 45 and stayed up. When I got the bike stopped, I was standing in a foot of water. Drove it out the other side without event. Scared the piss outta me, but it remained stable. That being said, the back tire was very quick to lose traction when I applied it trying to stop before hitting the water.
I saw your oh sh!t comment, but I was talking about just a plain ordinary rain soaked rode...I never said anything about trying to use the bike as a jet-ski or skim board... :joke:

You were very lucky that day my friend...continued luck to us all...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Trogdor said:
I saw your oh sh!t comment, but I was talking about just a plain ordinary rain soaked rode...I never said anything about trying to use the bike as a jet-ski or skim board... :joke:

Amen to BOTH sentiments!

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Trogdor said:

Well, I've ridden in the rain several times. It was raining very hard that morning, but most of my commute to and from work is straight road. I always hit corners with caution in the rain. When I was trying to stop to avoid the flooded road section, I was surprised at how quickly my rear tire broke loose. I don't recall applying it very hard. It could be that my tire tread is running close to the wear bars. I have 5500 miles on it now, and had probably 5200 when that happened. I still try to avoid the rain-- more because of the detail job that is required afterward. That being said, I actually enjoy riding in the rain when when wearing the proper gear. My first ride in the rain, I was wearing a cheap Stearns Rainsuit that didn't work real well, no gloves, a half helmet and some of those riding sunglasses with the baffles (I didn't expect rain in case you were wondering or I would have worn a full helmet). My riding glasses have a double pane construction that is not meant for rain riding. It let water between the panes, and nothing would clear my vision. That and the drops feeling like hyperdermic needles poking endlessly at my face made the 60 miles less than enjoyable.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Like any other vehicle in conditions where less traction is available, but with more caution. I just operate more smoothly. More smooth starts and stops, smoother shifts, no high rpms so there isn't lots of torque on what traction is available.

No problems in the rain unless I forget to use additional stopping distance. 8)

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
^^^^^^^ :dontknow: I guess there's a hidden message, or inside joke in that one?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Medic1210 said:
^^^^^^^ :dontknow: I guess there's a hidden message, or inside joke in that one?
He must have had a killer piece of Apple Pie there or something :D

I've been caught in the rain several times and the only problem I've had is trying to maneuver around the painted surfaces on the road. Those things are slick :confused: I also almost had a 0MPH incident when I put my boot down on a painted crosswalk and it slipped out from under me :verymad: I've never come up on a flooded street like you did... and I hope I never do!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Trouble_Is said:
He must have had a killer piece of Apple Pie there or something :D

I've been caught in the rain several times and the only problem I've had is trying to maneuver around the painted surfaces on the road. Those things are slick :confused: I also almost had a 0MPH incident when I put my boot down on a painted crosswalk and it slipped out from under me :verymad: I've never come up on a flooded street like you did... and I hope I never do!
That pic is from the ride to Americade I believe. Lake George NY. They were rained on 110% of the time I believe.... He probably photoshooped the rain OUT of that pic :joke:

Sledzep

1 - 13 of 13 Posts