M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about we share some ideas of our riding gear to keep us all alive and well.

(I was inspired by Medic1210)

... what it is

... how much it cost

... and where you got it

... a pic of it would be great

Thoroughgood side zip combat boot----- (I want a pair of SIDI vertigo though)
$75
local gun shop
great traction on these and easy on and off zipper

Frank Thomas armored leather pants-- hard armor in knees, velcro for knee sliders- mesh material in crotch for breathability ( I feel sexy and safe wearing these) I know, TMI, but had to share.lol
$200
"Cyclegear" store located in Sanford Fla. ( they are also on line)

Cortech, armored, mesh in high vis yellow
$99
on line

Shoei X eleven
$500
on line

Icon "hooligan" gloves--- heavily armor !!!
$29 on sale
at Suzuki dealer in Longwood Fla-- Cycleriders Suzuki

Alpine gloves
$35
Yamaha dealer in west Orlando on S.R. 50

Bikers Design
$60
Daytona Bike week vendor last year

just threw this in for fun
anyone care to guess what it is ?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Medic1210

You got it !!!!

Best darn rifle I have ever owned

.22 is extremely cost effective
zero recoil
low report
2 -- 25 rd. mags
scope.
pistol grip
folding stock
speed loader,
it does not get any better !!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I've been giving some serious thought to some good pants/chaps. Thats really the last peice of body equipment I still need to get. How do those do in the hot Florida sun? Are they over pants? meaning can I wear them to work and take them off when I get there?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
M109LOVER said:
Medic1210

You got it !!!!

Best darn rifle I have ever owned

.22 is extremely cost effective
zero recoil
low report
2 -- 25 rd. mags
scope.
pistol grip
folding stock
speed loader,Â
it does not get any better !!!
I've got a Marlin Model 9. It's a semi-automatic rifle that takes standard 9mm rounds...which to me are cheap enough. :)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
x_caliber50 said:
I've been giving some serious thought to some good pants/chaps. Thats really the last peice of body equipment I still need to get. How do those do in the hot Florida sun? Are they over pants? meaning can I wear them to work and take them off when I get there?

Thanks
They are designed as overpants it would seem. If you want a good pair of mesh pants that come with a nice water and wind proof liner give these a shot, they are also overpants >> http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=20161&department=113&division=1 Or these even >> http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=15743&department=113&division=1

The second pair isn't an overpant, but they are reinforced in the major slide points.

As for my personal riding gear:

Joe Rocket Reactor 2.0 gloves http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=15765&department=106&Division=1
Converse SWAT boots (very comfy) http://www.desert-gear.com/cotaboc8sw8c.html
Caberg Trip helmet (see below) http://betterthedeal.co.uk/ (<< Helmet Town should be carrying these soon also)

when its hot, Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=20076&department=112&Division=1
when its not M109R jacket, see below.

already stated I don't wear armored overpants yet.. but thats going to change shortly.

G

·
Shoei X11 helmet (the shat!!!) and a scorpion ex700 (better in the cold)

Summer:
Firstgear mesh, black
JR phoenix gloves
jeans.... ::)
oxstar riding boots.

Winter
balaclava (don't leave home without it)
Have yet to be worn on the bike (find my exhaust, UPS...YOU BASTARDS) Tourmaster leather jacket
Heated jacket liner by gerbing
Many pairs of different gloves from tourmaster winter crap to heated gerbing
tourmaster overpants (great shape after 5+ years and lots of use)
backup 3/4 tourmaster jacket (same deal, great stuff)
Oxstar waterproof boots (matrix I believe)

Rain:
frogg toggs, extra size up to put over any jacket or pants I may be wearing

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My new HJC CL-SP lid $163

My new JR gloves gloves Around $60 (if I remember right)

No pictures yet (Sorry). 2007 model JR black leather jacket with 3M scotchbright stiching w/ 2 silver linings (reflective also, same as stiching) down the back in sorta V shape. $200 and some change. also JR Mesh jacket (just for really hot days) $100 and some change (I think).

On Back order due to be shipped tomorrow,,,,,,Icon knee and shin guards that slip on under your blue jeans, like socks. Around $50.

I also NEVER ride without my steel-toe work boots.

G

·
Sorry no pictures, but here goes:
HJC Symax helmet
Suzuki 109 jacket or First Gear Evolution Jacket with body armor
Leather Chaps or First Gear pants
Various gloves depending on what the weather and temperature is
Leater boots with rubber soles. They don't make those sexy biker boots in EEE.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
x_caliber50 said:

Thanks
X_caliber50

These are not actually overpants. (but I guess they could be if you got them in a large enough size to fit over jeans)

They are hot when off the bike and walking around in the Florida sun but when riding they are not hot at all (because of the crotch area not being leather,nor are they leather behind the knee area but a really stretchable breathable-like spandex material), they get great air flow.

There is super heavy armor in the knee area and the hips and tailbone area are armored also -extremely comfortable while riding and walking and they are heavy - (like a good pair of strong boots).

The whole reason for me wearing these is that I am confident that if I go sliding down the asphalt at a respectable speed I believe I will not experience any road rash at all where these pants are concerned.

These pants will literally save your ass. (And I much rather spend $200 and avoid a lot of pain and hospital bills). Plus, they look damn good.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
You skinny guys can pick anything up off the rack and wear it. Us horizontally expanded and vertically challenged fellas have a bit tougher time of it. I look at all this stuff and I drool over wearing it. But none of it fits, and they don't make any to fit. 5'6 1/2" & 275lbs. We take what we can get unfortunatley.

Hey on the Thoroughgood boots. I really liked those and did a web search. I found a bunch of Thoroughgood boots but none like the ones you posted the pix of. Got any more info on exact model???

Jazzman

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey on the Thoroughgood boots. I really liked those and did a web search. I found a bunch of Thoroughgood boots but none like the ones you posted the pix of. Got any more info on exact model???

Jazzman
Jazzman,

Sorry I spelled "Thorogood" wrong, my bad.

I don't know the exact model as the lettering has rubbed off the boot but I believe they are a "Stealth series" because of the air pocket in the soles.

IMHO can't go wrong with Thorogood combat boots, they are comfortable and prooven heavy duty performers.

Hope this site help.

http://www.copshoes.com/c-thorogood-boots.html

Apollo

·
Registered
306 Posts
jazzman said:
You skinny guys can pick anything up off the rack and wear it. Us horizontally expanded and vertically challenged fellas have a bit tougher time of it. I look at all this stuff and I drool over wearing it. But none of it fits, and they don't make any to fit. 5'6 1/2" & 275lbs. We take what we can get unfortunatley.0
5'10"/328 here... I've done all right so far but then I'm coming over from the cruiser world, not the sportbike, little monkey one. :joke:

WARM WEATHER:

NexGen Armored Mesh Jacket (Removable thinsulate for when its a little colder)
Gel palm fingerless gloves. (Will change next season thanks to what I read here.)

COLD WEATHER:

Unik Ultra Heavy Buffalo Leather Jacket. (Also thinsulate lining)
Full gel palm gloves. (Looking for something warmer)

ANY WEATHER:

HJC LT-20 full face helmet

ADDING:

Modular helmet for warm weather
Warmer gloves
Leather chaps
Draggin Jeans

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I like this combination for a wide variety of temp/riding.

Firstgear Polyester/Nylon jacket. It is very comfortable in all weather and is cut fuller so us larger guys can get into it too. Has insert pockets for hard armor. This looks like the same jacket JoeT is wearing in his drag pics.
Only $60+ at Cycle Gear.

And this is my best buy so far for cool weather riding. It's a Mountain Hard Wear thinsulate synthetic down inner lining trade named "Primaloft". It's compressable so you can pack it in a very small space. It's thin enough that I wear it under the Firstgear jacket when it gets colder. It's breathable, but blocks wind (amazingly so) and is water resistent. Weighs only about 2 oz's. This is high tech stuff and costs like it - $140 at REI.
Even though the Firstgear is lightweight and completely porous, I can put the Mountain Hard Gear lining under it and be core warm down to about 40 degrees. The velcro cuffs on both of these jackets are just the way I like them.

Jazzman

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I do like my Alpine Stars Tech Road jacket but they do ask a premium price. I got mine when they closed out this model and the price went from $399 to $199. As far as Helmets, well I heard the story about people having a Shoei or an Arai head now I believe them. I have an older Shoei that was my first "nice" helmet. it puts too much pressure at the top of my forehead. I have owned two Arai Signet helmets since then and they like the Alpine stars gear are the Cadillac of equipment IMO. I buy the Arai's on close out too for about half price. I wear a boot kind of like the combat boot shown earlier but mine are by Brazos and you can get them at Academy Sporting goods. They are like the ones that LEO's (cops) wear. Gloves, the armored ones are too uncomfortable for me but I have 4 pair I pick from. a leather summer glove, a medium weather leather glove, a heavy cold weather leather glove and a textile snowmobile glove. for the lower end I have some snow ski bibs, leather chaps, or a made for biking pair of leather bibs with armor. I am going to get a better set of pants, something that goes better with the Alpine Stars jacket and some heated gloves. My hands are the only thing that hurts on my 38 mile commute and I ride every day unless it's raining or there is snow on the ground which is rare around here.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
sorry but no pics. Lets just say the Brazos boots I have look a lot like yours and I like them because they are light weight but kind of year round comfortable and no distinct heels, I can't ride a bike in heels. I think everyone has seen an Arai helmet, just my fav because of the fit/finish and shape of my head I guess. the small things that make the Arai nice is the built in nose piece that makes it harder to fog up the shield, built in chin spoiler and excellant ventilation. beware though if you are prone to scratching shields the are about $40 a pop. The Alpine Stars Tech Road jacket is cut like an Army Field jacket as in full cut, lots of pockets and every known finish from Dupont put on it. Not a good summer jacket even without the liner but water proof as ever and it's 5 years old and with the liner in you will sweat unless it's 50 or under. Gloves, I just use what works for me and have mixed and matched between actual cycle gloves and snowmobile gloves for comfort. I rode home 38 miles from work this morning and it was 44 degrees and my hands were ok with the snowmobile gloves. Once it gets close to 32 degrees I need something heated. I don't have much experience with riding pants but my leather bibs with armor are pretty nice but don't match my jacket and leather does eventually get cold. I am going this week to Cycle Gear to check on some Textile type riding pants.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Steve j

I sweated my ass off (literally) at Daytona today in 90 degree heat with my stupid, albeit sexy, armored leather pants !!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts