M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2019 M109R
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I started riding about 11 years ago when my dad sold me his 2006 Honda Shadow 600 VLX. After a few years, I decided it was time to upgrade and found a 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak special edition. That was when I first started changing things on bikes, switching pipes, air intakes, messing with the computer, had my first go with a Power Commander, things like that. Unfortunately, my knees got messed up in Afghanistan and the vibrations of the Vulcan were just too much for me to take. I could ride for about 20 minutes then I was unable to walk for a day. The vulcan sat in my garage for 2 years before I decided it was time to try again last year, and I found the 2019 M109R B.O.S.S. to be perfect for me. I don't know what it is about the bike, but mine has barely any vibrations and I can ride it for hours without any pain.

I'm in a toss-up right now as I would love to do some modifications to it (I would love a heel-toe shifter but don't think that is happening) but don't want to increase the vibrations of the bike to the point where I cannot ride it anymore.

While I consider it though, I am enjoying riding the bike and my wife just got a Boulevard C50 as her first bike and we have started riding together, which is a lot of fun! I look forward to digging through these forums and hopefully getting to know the community.

-Andrew

·
Registered
102 Posts
I changed my pipes to the Hard Krome Side Burner, installed Forcewinder intakes, removed the Pair Valve system, switched to short floorboards, straightened the rear brake lever, and had my ECM fully flashed my BCS here on the forum. The flash smoothed out the bike at low RPMs and opened it up. It is a far different bike then what it was when I got it, and that is in a good way. I don't think these bike turn into vibrators. They run like a 90 deg twin. In my experience with mine, I would say change things up, you are good to go.

I have a fellow Marine that spent some time in Afghanistan near Nowzad. He made a video of their tractor that mysteriously caught on fire one night, so they would use it for target practice. You have to watch it to the end. Ooh Rah!

·
Registered
2019 M109R
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I changed my pipes to the Hard Krome Side Burner, installed Forcewinder intakes, removed the Pair Valve system, switched to short floorboards, straightened the rear brake lever, and had my ECM fully flashed my BCS here on the forum. The flash smoothed out the bike at low RPMs and opened it up. It is a far different bike then what it was when I got it, and that is in a good way. I don't think these bike turn into vibrators. They run like a 90 deg twin. In my experience with mine, I would say change things up, you are good to go.

I have a fellow Marine that spent some time in Afghanistan near Nowzad. He made a video of their tractor that mysteriously caught on fire one night, so they would use it for target practice. You have to watch it to the end. Ooh Rah!
Well that made me miss some stuff I haven't missed in a while! Watching those tracers bounce off the tractor made me remember the tree I accidentally lit on fire when we were doing the same thing and my tracers bounced up into the tree. I still don't think you can blame me for that, I didn't make the round...

Thank you for the input on the bike. I am getting excited to start changing some stuff up!

·
Radio Active Member
22,755 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your service! 🙋‍♂️ (y) :)

I've done all kinds of different things to mine, from exhaust to floorboards to motor mounts to grips, etc. And none of them has changed the vibration level that I have been able to tell. The motor mounts are most likely to, as we use the stiffer upper rear mounts when the soft front mounts wear. So you should be safe in changing whatever you want without that worry.

You have the same combo of bikes that we have, my wife has a C50T. But she's had a few before that one. It's good to have someone to ride with that also likes riding.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
First and foremost, welcome to the Forum Primus0788, and congratulations on becoming an M109R owner. As a Retired U.S. Army Veteran myself, of 20.5 years, I want to thank both you and StuporDave for your service, as I am proud to have been one of your Brothers In Arms. I can relate to you regarding the knee issues. My knees are fairly shot, after 20+ years of constantly pounding the pavement during P.T. every day, and the daily rigors of being a soldier and pushing your body to the limit regularly. Primus, there's tons of things you can do to upgrade/improve the M109R that you'll find here on this Forum. As for the smoothness of the M109R, I believe Suzuki did a great job of selecting and designing the V-Twin motor and transmission for the M109R. As well, deciding to make this bike driveshaft driven, as apposed to a belt driven was a great decision, as there is little to no lag, when the throttle is twisted to any degree. One thing will definitely have to do at some point very soon is...change your Motor Mounts. The OEM Motor Mounts are rather soft, and tend to wear down considerably very quickly. When they do wear down, you will likely notice an unfamiliar and annoying vibration with the bike that wasn't there previously. However, there's an excellent fix already in place for that. MrTallguy, who is a member of this Forum provides replacement/upgrade Polyurethane Motor Mounts through his website at Untitled Document. If you get to yours soon enough, you will likely only need to replace the Front Upper and Front Lower Motor Mounts. The Rear Motor Mounts should be fine, especially since your bike is a 2019 model.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I read a post on here a couple of years ago about straightening the lever out and bending the "pedal" so that it moves the pedal forward and to a more natural position. They pulled the lever off the bike, put it in a padded vice, and bent it. I have small floorboards and couldn't fit my foot under the pedal, and it was uncomfortable to modulate the rear brakes. I went on a ride and it really pissed me off, so i took 2 large crescent wrenched and bent it to a more suitable spot. It bent really easy. Then I took a piece of pipe, stuck that on the foot part and bent it down so it was parallel to the floor board. Took all of five minutes. In hind sight I wish I would have taken the lever off because the crescent wrenches left little marks, but nobody has ever noticed them. Who looks at a brake lever?

·
Registered
2019 M109R
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First and foremost, welcome to the Forum Primus0788, and congratulations on becoming an M109R owner. As a Retired U.S. Army Veteran myself, of 20.5 years, I want to thank both you and StuporDave for your service, as I am proud to have been one of your Brothers In Arms. I can relate to you regarding the knee issues. My knees are fairly shot, after 20+ years of constantly pounding the pavement during P.T. every day, and the daily rigors of being a soldier and pushing your body to the limit regularly. Primus, there's tons of things you can do to upgrade/improve the M109R that you'll find here on this Forum. As for the smoothness of the M109R, I believe Suzuki did a great job of selecting and designing the V-Twin motor and transmission for the M109R. As well, deciding to make this bike driveshaft driven, as apposed to a belt driven was a great decision, as there is little to no lag, when the throttle is twisted to any degree. One thing will definitely have to do at some point very soon is...change your Motor Mounts. The OEM Motor Mounts are rather soft, and tend to wear down considerably very quickly. When they do wear down, you will likely notice an unfamiliar and annoying vibration with the bike that wasn't there previously. However, there's an excellent fix already in place for that. MrTallguy, who is a member of this Forum provides replacement/upgrade Polyurethane Motor Mounts through his website at Untitled Document. If you get to yours soon enough, you will likely only need to replace the Front Upper and Front Lower Motor Mounts. The Rear Motor Mounts should be fine, especially since your bike is a 2019 model.
I will have to look into those. A few quick youtube searches on it makes replacing those look like a pain though :eek:

·
Registered
2019 M109R
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read a post on here a couple of years ago about straightening the lever out and bending the "pedal" so that it moves the pedal forward and to a more natural position. They pulled the lever off the bike, put it in a padded vice, and bent it. I have small floorboards and couldn't fit my foot under the pedal, and it was uncomfortable to modulate the rear brakes. I went on a ride and it really pissed me off, so i took 2 large crescent wrenched and bent it to a more suitable spot. It bent really easy. Then I took a piece of pipe, stuck that on the foot part and bent it down so it was parallel to the floor board. Took all of five minutes. In hind sight I wish I would have taken the lever off because the crescent wrenches left little marks, but nobody has ever noticed them. Who looks at a brake lever?

View attachment 419327 View attachment 419328
I love those boards though. do they effect your turning radius at all?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I will have to look into those. A few quick youtube searches on it makes replacing those look like a pain though :eek:
It is a bit labor-intensive, but worth every bit of the struggle. Now, I didn't do my own. Matt aka FuturR swapped out the Front Upper and Lower Motor Mounts on my 07' and 08' model 9s. I still have to get them swapped out on my 14' model. However, it only has 1,337 miles on it. Nevertheless, when I begin to completely overhaul, modify, upgrade, and customize practically the entire bike, I will have the Motor Mounts swapped out during that time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The floorboards are up there on the list of best things I have changed. Even though they are small, they allow me to move my feet forward and back a little which makes a huge difference on an all day ride. They were rather easy to swap over. The rear ones were a little harder because the previous owner had some generic floorboards that were crammed into the bracket and non stock bolts. Another bonus with these particular floorboards is that the board it a bit higher than the stock pegs, kind of like if you placed a board on top of the stock pegs. Unfortunately I swapped over to a 160 front and 260 rear tire which also raised the bike an inch or two, so I am not able to judge if there was an increase in lean ability because of the floorboards alone, but, I can tell you with this setup with the tires, I have dragged a floorboard a few times, and I also wore the edge of my rear tire. I don't think I could go over anymore anyways.

The EGA in the floorboard was a Lapel Pin I got from SgtGrit.com. I cut off the post, beveled the back edge and epoxied it in place. I did kind of the same thing to my grips......

·
Registered
2019 M109R
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was about to ask about those. I like the look. What boards did you end up placing? Are those the kury's?

·
Super Moderator
5,709 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike, and welcome! Thank you for your service.

BTW, I can recommend a good knee brace on Amazon, It is hinged, you can set the min / max degrees of bend / flex, and it is very supportive. It helps my very arthritic knee(s) quite a bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts