M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1994-36 degrees,2 shirts, vinyl jacket,long-johns,jeans,suede gloves,2prs socks,hiking boots,93 VS 800, aftrmkt wndshld= freak'in COLD in 5 miles.  :( 2006-37 degrees,2 shirts, LEATHER jacket, long-johns,jeans,LEATHER OVER-PANTS,MOTORCYCLE-type gloves,MOTORCYCLE boots(2 pr sks),snowmobile-type face&head cover,07 Blk 109 w zook touring wndshld. Rode 45 miles-ok-next 10 hands cool. Last 5, Im cold.Both days sunny, 3-qrtr helmets w face-shlds.Like zook wndshld much better now,def rcmmnd cold weather gear to RIDE Her long as NO salt/ice.(Gotta hear, feel,see,smell!?!,ENJOY Her often as possible! :D Ride safe & OFTEN ! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
775 Posts
wednesday night: 56 degrees, dry but cloudy, wind 5-10mph n-ne, jeans, boots, t-shirt. destination- Southside Cafe. Took the truck, had a great time.

·
Registered
386 Posts
walker said:
wednesday night: 56 degrees, dry but cloudy, wind 5-10mph n-ne, jeans, boots, t-shirt. destination- Southside Cafe. Took the truck, had a great time.
cheater :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Today, 6 of us on 109's. 43 degrees before we headed north into the mountains of GA/NC/TN and rode the Cherhola Skyway.
I was wearing everything I owned, and bought more at Walmart. Stopped to pee, my hands were so cold I almost became a Woman

This was at Unicoi Crest 4590ft

Sledzep

·
Registered
974 Posts
Nice pic looks like a good ride day from the sky :bigthumbsup:

I went out today and tried my new gloves the Olympia 4370 cold throttles.

Pretty nice my hands were good and toasty made my day so much better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I rode from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon to camp during the first week in June a few years ago. Being from Nebraska I thought it would pretty warm in Arizona that time of year. It was 30 degrees by the time we got there and I have never been so cold in my life. I was shaking so bad I could barely steer the bike. I swore then I would never be in the middle of no where again without the right gear. I've been using Gerbing heated jacket liner, gloves, pant liner and socks ever since. As long as I have the right windproof layering over it and a wind screen I can and have ridden when it was below zero without getting cold. Although I do get a lot of "look at that idiot" type of stares when I ride in really cold weather it is now very enjoyable rather than terrible pain.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
sledzep01 said:
Today, 6 of us on 109's. 43 degrees before we headed north into the mountains of GA/NC/TN and rode the Cherhola Skyway.
I was wearing everything I owned, and bought more at Walmart. Stopped to pee, my hands were so cold I almost became a Woman

This was at Unicoi Crest 4590ft

Sledzep
What Sled didn't tell you - this was an 11+ hour ride. It was 43 degrees down in the flatland. I have no idea what it was at some of the mountain elevations.

There are more pic's in two different links as well.

G

·
I bought some AlpineStar Gore-Tex gloves for like $65, they are awesome. Almost make my hands sweat. For pants I wear the Icon Barrier's which are insulated and are comfortable as hell and warm. Underneath my mesh jacket I wear an insulated top by a company called Anti-Freeze. It blocks the wind out and works awesome. I've worn it down to the 30's and it works! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Awesome pics! I love this kind of riding, maybe because there aren't many other bikes around and I get that sense of being a weather rebel.

I ride year round, and I live in the Kansas City area. This morning when I rode in, it was about 37 degrees. In cold weather I use ski gloves. They are designed for cold weather protection and they are designed to grip a ski pole, so they don't bunch up under your palms when you hold your grips. I have some extreme cold weather gloves from the military that are very warm, but bunch up too much on my grips. For the money, ski gloves are the way to go. Mine weren't fancy ones, I think I got them at Wally World for under $15.00.

Keep riding my cold weather brothers!!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yeah...I left Decatur, GA after clutch/brake fluid changes Sunday morning about 11:30 am.

It was colder on the ride back in the sun than it was Friday night in the dark when I rode over...course, I did wear my half-helmet back the entire trip. I wore the full face for over half of the trip there. Having a cold face & runny nose....makes for a cold trip.

But I do enjoy that wind more. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
354 Posts
i live in iowa....so winter sux pretty bad....but if it gets 45-50degrees....im ridin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts