M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or does any one else have a problem with the control of the bike while riding behind some trucks .It seem's like the bike wants to wander from side to side, could it be the front axle bearings?It doesn't seem to matter about the speed. I have noticed it at different speeds and even when the wind is blowing.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mine always seems very stable ...... nothing abnormal. Remember that big fat beautiful rear tire does tend to follow road irregularities .........but as far as wind or drafting other vehicles , no unusual behavior from my 109r.

G

·
It could be tire tracking (tire wants to follow the grooves on the road) from the big rear tire. I know it used to happen to me when I switched from stock tires to 285 out back on a mustang I used to own. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Its wind buffeting caused by the turbulant air coming off the back of the truck , and yes I've noitced it doesn't bother me much.........now my head and helmet bouncing side to side from it get old quick though :p

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
the ole man said:
Is it just me or does any one else have a problem with the control of the bike while riding behind some trucks .It seem's like the bike wants to wander from side to side, could it be the front axle bearings?It doesn't seem to matter about the speed. I have noticed it at different speeds and even when the wind is blowing.
Who rides behind trucks? :dontknow:

Use the grip on thre right. Voila! no more truck!

No I have not noticed anyhting really

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Bonehead & Sled are correct. Anytime you get behind a semi, you will get a lot of turbulence & buffeting. Either slow down or speed up to pass that semi! The turbulence does start farther back from a semi than you think. I would say a couple semi lengths?? :doorag:

Chuck

·
Registered
752 Posts
On sportbikes we used to draft them. About 6 inches off the bumper and they just pull you along.

And yes it was irresponsible and dangerous as all get out.

Fun though, you could sit up and talk at about 1500 RPM's the only problem is that the fan waould turn on and youd have to jump out and c=grab some quic air to cool of the engine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
actual that happend to me on a very smooth road. I was on the interstate and came up on a semi ( was doing about 80). Backed it down and usually i can tuck into a good drafting position but the bike start bucking like a bronco. Never had that happen before.

On a side note ..... this is such a great site. All my questions and concerns are always addressed on this site.
I hardly write because I'm reading so much! Keep up the good work guys :bigthumbsup:

Mods to date: Muffler drill out, Grips, pegs, De-badged, working on rear end this weekend.

·
Registered
752 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
As I mentioned above nothing abnormal.......not saying some of you guys dont know how to ride , but any bike is going to move a bit behind a large truck , heck a large pickup will feel it. Every bike I have ever owned felt the turbulence somewhat.......

·
Registered
532 Posts
L-Train said:
On sportbikes we used to draft them. About 6 inches off the bumper and they just pull you along. Â

Fun though, you could sit up and talk at about 1500 RPM's  the only problem is that the fan waould turn on and youd have to jump out and c=grab some quic air to cool of the engine.
Yeah I tried drafting trucks a few times, but I gather that they really don't want you back there. More than once when the driver knew what I was doing he would swing his right tires onto the shoulder and spray gravel in my face.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
L-Train said:
On sportbikes we used to draft them. About 6 inches off the bumper and they just pull you along.

Fun though, you could sit up and talk at about 1500 RPM's the only problem is that the fan waould turn on and youd have to jump out and c=grab some quic air to cool of the engine.
3 of did this in a datsun B210 all the way to daytona many years ago. AMAZING mileage!

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
eire1965 said:
Yeah I tried drafting trucks a few times, but I gather that they really don't want you back there. More than once when the driver knew what I was doing he would swing his right tires onto the shoulder and spray gravel in my face.
Has anyone ever see what happens when on of the trailer tires blow or the cap comes off a recaped tire :eek:.............had a friend of mine I used to drive with had a brake drum come apart and send a 25lb chunk of metal through a womans windshield ,she didn't make it.

I know what could happen and have seen most of it in person..................I won't stay anywhere around a big truck on a bike , just too many things that could happen for me IMO

·
Registered
721 Posts
I used to ride a couple of feet back during cold winter rains :)
Kept both the wind and rain off of me.... Thank goodness I am older and wiser now !!

·
Registered
109 Posts
i've ownd a few different cruisers (vtx1300,vtx1800,rune) but this one handles the best of them all. most of the others i would coast into the corners and just drift through it. this bike i go in to the corner and just twist harder. JUNK YARD DOG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts