M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a guy today, riding in the rain. First thought, poor guy. Musta got caught out and headed to put his bike up. About 20 mins later, I make a run from the office to Walmart to grab a couple items and notice him still cruising through the neighborhood.

So, is it just me that thinks my bike is too pretty to be out in the rain? Also anybody got any traction horror stories from rain trips?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Whats wrong with riding in the rain? I bought a rain suit for the days when it gets bad and I go riding anyway. Provided you pretend your riding on ice and not accelerate or ride hard, there is no problem riding in the rain.

Earlier this summer my girlfriend and I took a trip to the beach and had to ride through a big storm to get there, but when we did, it was sunny again, one of the best riding experiences of my life.

Are you afraid to ride in the rain because your bike will get dirty? :dontknow:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nuthin, I guess

Wasn't really saying that anything's "wrong" with it, if that's what someone chooses to do. I'm just not one for it. Yea, cleanliness of bike would be one reason, I guess. Practicality being the other, I mean there's an old cliche about having "sense enough to come in outta the rain". Just a matter of preference though, I guess...:dontknow:

Whats wrong with riding in the rain? I bought a rain suit for the days when it gets bad and I go riding anyway. Provided you pretend your riding on ice and not accelerate or ride hard, there is no problem riding in the rain.

Earlier this summer my girlfriend and I took a trip to the beach and had to ride through a big storm to get there, but when we did, it was sunny again, one of the best riding experiences of my life.

Are you afraid to ride in the rain because your bike will get dirty? :dontknow:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily go out to ride while it's raining. But I've gotten caught plenty if times in the rain. Once you're already wet, I guess there's nothing else to worry about

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I will ride regardless of temp, but I try to avoid riding in the rain. You can't ride aggressively, the views sux, and clean-up is a mother!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Wasn't really saying that anything's "wrong" with it, if that's what someone chooses to do. I'm just not one for it. Yea, cleanliness of bike would be one reason, I guess. Practicality being the other, I mean there's an old cliche about having "sense enough to come in outta the rain". Just a matter of preference though, I guess...:dontknow:
Yellow doesn't show dirty very well ;) chrome on the other hand gets nasty pretty quickly. I do see the positive side of a clean bike but I'd rather just get it nasty dirty while having an amazing ride then sit and choose what days to ride because of a little mother nature :bigthumbsup:

Either way, make sure you enjoy that bike to its full extent! The stock tires I think suck pretty bad in the rain (Especially just a few moments after it starts)

Ride safe and be careful if you do!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I never try to, sometimes it just happens. Spent 3 days in the rain on my last 6 day trip. I have all the right rain gear, I still hate it.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I never try to, sometimes it just happens. Spent 3 days in the rain on my last 6 day trip. I have all the right rain gear, I still hate it.
And there you have it. Nothing to do with dirt or fear. All to do with absolutely no enjoyment what so ever from riding in the rain. I have been riding for 30 years now and I can tell you I have been caught in more rain then I can remember but I bought my bikes for pleasure and enjoyment. Riding in the rain fits neither of those 2 things. I know some folks have no choice because it's their only mode of transportation. If you like riding in the rain, ride on but it doesn't make you a hero.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I rode home today in the rain. :dontknow: I knew there was a chance of rain but I rode anyway. I guess that's why we call it gambling.:D

·
Registered
198 Posts
It's funny how we react to things. I put in a 6 mile walk just about everyday. Doesn't matter to me how hot or cold or whether there is snow or ice on the ground. But I do not walk in the rain, period.
I have been caught in the rain while riding, no big deal. If I have a chance I will stop and suit up for the rain and if not I will just grin and bear it. I don't try to find a store or gas station to wait it out, I just go for it.

Kind of funny I guess, I don't look for rain to ride in but it doesn't bother me the way walking in the rain does.:dontknow:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I do not go out in the rain intentionally with the exception of the oyster run. As far as traction of course our traction will be limited with water on the road, and these big performance tires with basically just tread depth groves LOL Not much for shedding water........

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
it messes up the bikes to much, its time to drive the F-150:bigthumbsup: PS the 3 days a year it actully rains

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
some times it cant be avoided not enjoyable sure but what are you going to do? not ride cause it might rain? Ive done so many PG rides in the rain Ive lost count, Its the least I can do for thier family. the LZ lambough run went from lacross wisc to green bay wisc. It rained the whole way, and I was damm proud to be a part of a couple thousand bikes and riders trying to say thank-you to the viet-nam vets for thier service. The dirty bike took about an hour to clean up at the car wash in green bay after it stopped raining, big deal.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
it messes up the bikes to much, its time to drive the F-150:bigthumbsup: PS the 3 days a year it actully rains
I forgot to take into account that living so far up north, I have to wait 4 months to get on my bike again during the winter so I will literally take any day I can to get a good ride in, rain or shine lol .... Must be nice to ride all year! It's a desperate situation here after the long winter...:-[

·
Registered
342 Posts
just hate cleaning the bike after riding in the rain .you all know how dirty a black bike gets.fastest for getting dirty:D too

·
Registered
169 Posts
I forgot to take into account that living so far up north, I have to wait 4 months to get on my bike again during the winter so I will literally take any day I can to get a good ride in, rain or shine lol .... Must be nice to ride all year! It's a desperate situation here after the long winter...:-[
I live another 8 hours north. One thing about Northern Ontario is if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Too Much rain here.

Ok, I've owned my bike just over two weeks now, and we seem to be having a huge wet spell for spring at the moment.
When I picked it up it was raining so a 3hr ride home in the rain, she sat really really well.
Wife followed me home and wanted to know why I was riding like a grandma, damm speedo how was I to know it was that far out.

But seriously I have done about 2,000klms so far hey I like riding it, it does need a good clean. I have only had the tail slip on me once were I came into a sweeper of a on ramp 90kph/55mph (we normally get the bikes down low for it) and she broke away on me I just slowed it down and behaved. I am finding she is awkward to judge the speed on her at the moment, I will get better with some more riding.
But the other thing that I had heard that the tank acts like a funnel for the water, I found this not to be the case.

P.S. The suns comes up I ride. Rain hail or shine.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
just hate cleaning the bike after riding in the rain .you all know how dirty a black bike gets.fastest for getting dirty:D too
amen:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
Ok, I've owned my bike just over two weeks now, and we seem to be having a huge wet spell for spring at the moment.
When I picked it up it was raining so a 3hr ride home in the rain, she sat really really well.
Wife followed me home and wanted to know why I was riding like a grandma, damm speedo how was I to know it was that far out.

But seriously I have done about 2,000klms so far hey I like riding it, it does need a good clean. I have only had the tail slip on me once were I came into a sweeper of a on ramp 90kph/55mph (we normally get the bikes down low for it) and she broke away on me I just slowed it down and behaved. I am finding she is awkward to judge the speed on her at the moment, I will get better with some more riding.
But the other thing that I had heard that the tank acts like a funnel for the water, I found this not to be the case.

P.S. The suns comes up I ride. Rain hail or shine.
:welcome: to the forum. :D

I don't go riding in the rain, but like others I've been caught in it several times. Since my wife and I both ride we pack rain gear on her bike and have had to use it a few times. As long as it's warm out I don't really mind riding in it, though the clean up is a PITA. But I try not to keep me from enjoying the ride anyway.

When I bought my bike it was in March and in the mid 30's. They rolled the bike out after completing the paper work and prep, and it started raining. So I rode it 35 miles home in the rain and with a lot of winter muck on the road. It took me the entire following day to get all the salt and grit off it. I was puckered and freezing the entire way too. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts