M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you do this?? Is this something i should be aspiring too?? Whats the rush of doing that?? Has anyone ever wiped out from doing it? Is there a special trick to it? I saw one Chicky Poo do it and she had a special gizmo's on her throttle to keep her speed. Hmm. I just don't know how thrilling it would be to do that? Any thoughts on that trick?? And if so how many years experience or miles under their belt should a person have before they attempt it?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Nothing special, just take your hands off lightly and see. If your bike and tires are in good condition, the geometry of the two wheels spinning want to keep the bike upright and running straight (like gyroscopes). :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I ride with one hand all the time. It's easy if you are cruising at a steady speed in a straight line to ride with just your right hand on the throttle and your left hand in your lap/on your leg, etc. However don't try to do this if you are still a newbie. I would wait until you are to the point where riding is almost automatic for you. When you don't have to think about what you are doing every second and aren't nervous riding then you can try doing other stuff like this. Remember the faster the bike is going the more stable it is, so you only want to have one hand on the bars when going more than 20mph or so. Heck I like to sometimes stop at a light using one hand on the bars. Sometimes I kick it into neutral and stop with only my right hand on the bars. Or I'll more often stop with just my left hand on the bars, using my rear brake to stop when just cruising casually through town. I've also been known to ride with NO HANDS, but this is definitely NOT something I would recommend for the inexperienced rider. In fact even for experienced riders it is considered dangerous and foolish and I don't ever do it for more than 5 seconds at a time or so, to stretch my back or something. Hitting any kind of bump when your hands aren't on the bars can cause a serious wipeout. :yikes:
I also like to see how long I can wait before having to put my feet down when stopping at a light. I'll try to roll the last 6 feet or so at less than 1mph if the light just turned green and people are starting to move to see if I can keep from putting my feet down before the car in front of me starts to roll. It's all good practice controlling the bike and getting familiar/comfortable with it. Good luck and BE CAREFUL!!

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I do it pretty regular, be it to tuck my t-shirt under my butt at highway speed to minimize it's slap, or when I'm rolling to a stop just to stretch a bit. Just make sure you are in the right gear before letting go. Don't want to lose cool points by getting bucked from engine brake.

G

·
I will sometimes ride no handed slowing coming to a stop when I can let the bike decel on its own. I do frequently ride one handed trying to vary my riding position to extend a stretch or so. I once saw a photo of Colin Edwards taking a turn on one knee with his inside hand off the bars, knuckles hitting the rumbles, flicking a bird. Now that was awesome.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I cant wear blue jeans to work cept on Fridays...
Going home in the afternoon the wind is perfect to shove my pants up to my knees, what a goofball I must look!!!!

You should see the look on peoples faces when doing 80 or so, I reach down with both hands at the same time to pull my pants legs back down over my boots LOL !!!! :D

Don't try this at home folks!!
I been riding a LONG time :bigthumbsup: .......And it's still a stupid thing to do. :eek: :yikes:

·
Registered
166 Posts
The BrakeAway Cruise is Awesome, I many times ride with my arms stretched out like in the movie Titanic, I guess it's like the guys/gals who ride wheelies or do bike tricks, everything we do has risks, it's just a matter of how much risk are YOU willing to take!

·
Registered
161 Posts
veezer said:
Nothing special, just take your hands off lightly and see. If your bike and tires are in good condition, the geometry of the two wheels spinning want to keep the bike upright and running straight (like gyroscopes). :bigthumbsup:
Actually, not to be picky or anything, but the trail of the front end is the main reason for the auto-tracking of a motorcycle. Yes the wheels spinning help as well, but with improper trail in a front end, wheels won't help you one bit.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Pr0wl3r-X said:
I cant wear blue jeans to work cept on Fridays...
Going home in the afternoon the wind is perfect to shove my pants up to my knees, what a goofball I must look!!!!

You should see the look on peoples faces when doing 80 or so, I reach down with both hands at the same time to pull my pants legs back down over my boots  LOL !!!! :D

Don't try this at home folks!!
I been riding a LONG time :bigthumbsup:  .......And it's still a stupid thing to do. :eek: :yikes:
You're not alone Prowler... I hate having my Dockers up around my knees... but not bad enough to take the truck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Biker - chicky You will feel it when you are ready to do the ' one hand' thing. It is all natural...... I have been riding bicycles of road since I was 5 years old and then motorcycles since when I was 16 years old...now I am 43....you and your bike will become one and you will know when you can do it or NOT....just be safe.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
DFW_Warrior said:
Actually, not to be picky or anything, but the trail of the front end is the main reason for the auto-tracking of a motorcycle. Yes the wheels spinning help as well, but with improper trail in a front end, wheels won't help you one bit.
:bigthumbsup: yep if the front end geometry is wrong , you get the shopping cart thing going :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts