M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this "review" of the Memphis Shades "shooter" windscreen. I wish he would tell us how he really feels.

Memphis Shades Shooter windshield and special 1 1/4 inch mount for the Suzuki M109R. SELECT COLOR. FREE SHIPPING. MEM-Shooter and MEM-9950.

Average Rating: Based on 7 reviews

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Pissed !, 7/19/2006
Reviewed by: D. Perkins from Alabama

What a waste of money ! I based my decision on Hals review and found it
to be false and full of lies. I wish there was a way I could jam this piece of shit up thier ass like the did me ! I bet they bend thier wives over the same way with no lube.

Poor !

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm wanting to hear from those who have bought a "shooter" windscreen because I'm thinking of getting one.

mania

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you search for "shooter", there are a bunch of posts, comments and tips on this shield from folks that have one.

J

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I think my shooter is perfect for around town & short hops (Most driving). I would also buy the taller shield if I were going on a long extended road trip. I understand you can purchase a different length wind screens that will mount on your existing hardware you received with the shooter for about $50.00.

The reason I would have 2 shields is because with the shooter, (I'm 6' 3") the wind buffets me around my forehead. This is not a problem unless I want to go at highway speeds for extended lengths of time.

I don't like tall windshields and the shooter keeps the wind off my chest pretty well. I think it actually looks pretty good on the bike.

For around town & short blast, I'm perfectly happy with the shooter. :p :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I bought a shooter and it's a quality shield though I wish I would have stepped up a size. The sponsor has one a little bigger and I may get that just to cut the wind a little further up. Bought from the sponsor. No complaints here though, I researched it and knew what I was buying. For me, its a huge improvement over having no shield. Does stop most of the bugs at night and probably looks the best of all the shields for this bike.
Guy sounds like an azz hole.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Got one on order right now. Will let you know what I think of it after install and some testing. Should be in a week or so.

·
Registered
379 Posts
All I can think to say is if you want full wind protection then why not just buy a Gold Wing?

I bought the Hellcat because I thought I needed a little more than the Shooter and I still got plenty of buffeting until I finally got it adjusted.   Even at that I still get wind at the top of my helmet.

·
Registered
898 Posts
red1951man said:
All I can think to say is if you want full wind protection then why not just buy a Gold Wing?
oof... ::)Â

everyone's different... i want a good shield for my 109... have yet to see one that is big enough and eazy on and off enough for me...

khrome

G

·
I am not trying to turn this into a Direct Line commercial, but I have always found them to be a fair company. If you don't like something or feel it is inferior, call them, try and work it out. For goodness sake, the owner of the company posts his e-mail and cell phone number on this board. What else could you ask for. Yet some people just want to post negative stuff and quite graphic stuff from what I just read. That's my .02

·
Registered
98 Posts
red1951man said:
  I bought the Hellcat because I thought I needed a little more than the Shooter and I still got plenty of buffeting until I finally got it adjusted.  Even at that I still get wind at the top of my helmet.
Got a picture of that Hellcat? Would like to see it as may replace the my shooter for it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Lamonster said:
Maybe he should of made a phone call instead of acting like a troll. Seems that some folks thought it was great. So what was the lie that Hal said about the windshield.???
I've been around computers since the 70's and read internet boards back when they looked like DOS screens. A lot has changed over the years. One thing that unfortunately hasn't changed is the level of vehemence and dishonesty that some posters display. :confused:

LG

·
Registered
98 Posts
red1951man said:
No pix since I readjusted it. Look up Hal G. here on the site. He's got a few good ones. :doorag:
Thanks. Didn't realize Hal had a Hellcat, looks like he has both. I had a big CHIP'r :cop: windshield on my last bike and the wifey gets a lot of wind now, in comparison. Doubt if the Hellcat will help her much but I'd like it for those longer trips. Think I'll get one and see how it works out.

The shooter does do a good job in deflecting the bugs through those country roads at night. Can't see how anyone could stand that without a shield. My buddies I ride with don't have a shield and thier face has smashed bugs on it after those rides at night... :eek:...not for me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have purchased both Shooter and Hellcat and the lowers.  Neither one of them performed as I expected.  The Shooter is good for speeds up to about 45/50 before head buffeting begins.  The Hellcat is good for about 50/60.  I spent a Saturday testing these windscreens hoping to find the sweet spot that would allow me to travel at 75/85 without shaking my brains out.  I found that if the angle of the windscreen was positioned so that the top edge was pointing at my throat the head buffeting stopped.  Unfortunately this angle is unsafe because of the potential risk of having my head lopped off.

After talking with Memphis Shades and seeking their advice I was able to determine that the head buffeting is being caused by the air coming from around the side of the windscreens and hitting my helmet just behind the area of my ears.  The turbulence can be forced away from my helmet by going to a much wider screen.

The lowers did stop the air from coming over the top of the fuel tank and did reduce the pressure hitting my chest, but that deflected air was hitting my lower legs with more force than without the lowers.  At high speeds the lowers effect the steering causing the head to feel like its shaking.

There is nothing wrong with the Memphis Shades windscreens products.  They don't have anything that meets my expectations. 

I have chosen not to use a windscreen on the M109R because of the speeds I like to cruise at.  With a Arai full-face helmet I can travel at any speed without any head buffeting and also have better overall visability.

·
Registered
411 Posts
gphone said:
Got a picture of that Hellcat? Would like to see it as may replace the my shooter for it.
gphone, I should have mine tomorrow and then after I get it mounted I will take pictures. I seen on the UPS tracking dingy that it arrived here in Nürnberg Saturday morning at 1:03 am so I am sure they will bring it tomorrow. I hope in the morning I hate waiting on goodies :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey thanks Mad Dog. Ride her around a bit and let me know how the wind is. You'll probably have to do a few adjustments to get it right, then by all means take them pics.

:eek: Looking forward to seeing it on your bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I recently bought and installed a Hellcat. Upon an initial test ride on the highway at 50 to 65 mph, I mostly agree with Nester. Head buffeting occurs, as well as wind blasts hitting the chest and arms. That also occurred before using any windshield. Head buffeting seems a little worse with the Hellcat. I have it installed parallel to the fork. I'll try to angle it closer to me and test it again. BTW... I always wear a helmet. Some Chicago highways are really windy - so I need a windshield.

·
Registered
411 Posts
gphone said:
Hey thanks Mad Dog. Ride her around a bit and let me know how the wind is. You'll probably have to do a few adjustments to get it right, then by all means take them pics.

:eek: Looking forward to seeing it on your bike.
It came today and I got it mounted but due to the fact that it started thundering in the background I didn´t take it out on the autobahn as planned but here are the pictures with it mounted. I´ll get back with ya as soon as I test it out at high speeds (probably tomorrow if the weather allows it ;) )

1 - 20 of 25 Posts