M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

DDM Tuning HID Motorcycle Kit - Not ready for prime time.

----------

Just installed the DDM Tuning HID (High Intensity Discharge headlight) Kit in my motorcycle today.

Thought I'd pass on my experience and a review.

For the M109R, I ordered the H4 Hi/Lo (single bulb) 35W / 55W kit. The bulb I ordered has a color temperature of 5000K, which creates a vivid white light, with no blue tinge.

The DDM Tuning HID Kit is attractively priced, and the components appear to be high quality.

However, installation took several hours, mainly while trying to adapt the HID wiring harness for use in a motorcycle, and for the fact that there were no instructions included. (More comments about this in a moment).

In the end, the HID fired up immediately, and is very bright. Reliability and durability remain to be seen.

DDM Tuning is marketing this product as a 'motorcycle' kit, however the HID wiring harness that they ship with it, is clearly meant for a car instead.

The HID wiring harness has, on one hand, some connectors that are way too short (Battery power and ground), and on the other hand, connectors that are way too long. (The long wires are what DDM Tuning Customer Support describes as 'spare connectors' -- I guess if you ever choose to add a second HID light at the back end of the motorcycle).

All of the so-called 'spare' 6 feet of wiring has to somehow be dealt with; stuffed into tiny crevices of the headlight bucket, or motorcycle frame, because, as the DDM Customer Support team warns, the warranty is void if you cut the harness.

It doesn't help that the kit is shipped WITHOUT a customary copy of the receipt / invoice, and just as importantly, WITHOUT installation instructions. (There are 9 connections that need to be made)

Links on the company's website to instructions for installation either don't work, are inadequate, or don't apply to motorcycles. DDM Tuning Customer Support pretends to be ignorant of the issue, offering excuses such as the computer files were 'destroyed', or are 'missing', even though a Google search finds similar customer complaints for more than a year.

Fortunately, the M109R has a fair amount of room inside the headlight cowling for storing the HID components, including the Ballast, Controller, various connectors, and of course, the 6 feet of unnecessary spare wire.

In the end, the power lead had to be modified (extended 4 feet) in order to reach the battery. Otherwise, most of connections are plug and play, provided that you spend the time trying to figure it all out.

It shouldn't have to be this way. Motorcycles, be it a Harley or sportbike, have relatively generic layouts and dimensions when it comes to the distance between the headlight OEM H4 connector, and the battery connection.

DDM Tuning could have a good product here, but the company appears to have no clue when it comes to meeting minimum standards for customer care and expectations.

Shipping products without invoices places the customer at risk when trying to resolve warranty issues.

And that there are no instructions included, is simply appalling. Heck, you get instructions for assembling little toys that come in lunch packs from fast food restaurants.

Furthermore, this is an electrical device that generates high voltage. Another reason to include adequate warnings and operating instructions.

DDM Tuning needs to revamp its Customer Support Department, and re-engineer the HID wire harness if they plan to successfully market this product as a 'motorcycle' kit.

DDM Tuning website:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-HiLo-Motorcycle-HID-Kit

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I have used the hid 55 watt 8000k for about 8 months now with no issues . I had a bad connector on the ground I broke it . Install was a little confusing with the extra lead , but i am pleased so far with the quality . WAY BETTER THAN "LUXE BUY" they sale garbage !

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
A&R's kit is a true plug and play with out 6 feet of extra wire and no need to add more wire either to make connections to the battery. There are more then 300-350 9's running this kit to date. I have his information in the Bang for the Bucks Mods thread. It is #3 under safety. The prices qouted are the group buy price, coupon code rynosback.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
I've got one of the DDM kits sitting here to install, and it came with instructions. Not necessarily good ones, but enough to tell what plugged up where. I got it to install on my wife's bike and also so I would have the extra 5000K bulb to swap out for my 8000K bulb.

What I found odd is there is absolutely nothing on the kit that tells you if it's the 35 watt kit or the 55 watt kit, and what the bulb color temp is. It basically wires up the same way as the DLP kit I bought last year, which also had some extra wire and needed the power wire extended.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just had the 55w 8000k kit installed when I had my 14,000 service done. Man what a difference. The guys told me it was a PIA to install. Ballast in headlight bucket and the other controller above rad on left side. I was going to try to install it but It was going in to get a service so I let them do it. My dealership treats me very well.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I was looking at the DDM "kit" and you just made my mind up. I will go with the A&R instead. DDM sounds like people who don't really care what they sell and yes I am sure it is a car kit not a bike kit. So with that A&R will win my business even though it is more expensive.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I have the same kit on my 9. If you are confused with the install maybe you shouldn't be doing it. I found it very easy to install. The instructions on their site were fine for me. The leads were all the right length all though the extra lead is a curiosity. Great product and good price. JMHO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts