M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that my bike dose not seem to cut out At 7400 rpm any more since the JSD mod And pipe mod.I thought the JSD was only to help 5 gear.I pulled out around a corvette and hit 8000 in third before i caught 4th.The bike did not seem to flatten out at all as it was still pulling at 8000.The tach reads good at idle so I'm sure its working.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
I would keep it under redline, no need to stress the motor at the very peak. Most motors have a hp curve that starts dropping off at the top, so you really are not gaing anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Hey Jeff. I have a 3M installed and the rpm is high in neutral. I was under the impression that this module was supposed to preserve neutral. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought this to mean normal idle speed in neutral. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
908 Posts
I heard all these comments about the flucuation in idle (clutch in or out), but decided it probably wasn't a big deal. Did the install and my idle with clutch pulled in is around 900. With the clutch let out, it fluctuates between 900 and 1100 on quick cycles and is hardly noticeable. Course with me, their is very little time my bike would be idling in neutral with the clutch let out. Even when I start mine in neutral (which is usually always) I have my clutch lever pulled in. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,579 Posts
lawdog said:
No disrespect to the powers that be, but there in a problem built into the JSD-3M. I don't care if you bury the ground wire 20 feet into the Earth with solid gold rebar, the neutral idle speed (with clutch lever out) is going to be 200-300 rpm higher than factory spec of 900 rpm +/- 100.
No disrespect to you, but I've got to kindly disagree, and suggest that maybe you got a bum JSD. I just installed mine a couple hours ago, and I can assure you that you cannot tell a difference in it over stock when at idle. At crank when cold it runs 1100 or so for a couple seconds and then settles right down to 900. Maybe you should have tried to work with Jeff on getting a replacement as opposed to jumping the gun and giving it away. Either way, don't say the JSDs have an inherent flaw built in because they are not all that way. Mine works just like it's supposed to.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Medic1210 said:
No disrespect to you, but I've got to kindly disagree, and suggest that maybe you got a bum JSD. I just installed mine a couple hours ago, and I can assure you that you cannot tell a difference in it over stock when at idle. At crank when cold it runs 1100 or so for a couple seconds and then settles right down to 900. Maybe you should have tried to work with Jeff on getting a replacement as opposed to jumping the gun and giving it away. Either way, don't say the JSDs have an inherent flaw built in because they are not all that way. Mine works just like it's supposed to.

Mike
I agree with lawdog. My idle also goes higher in N when the clutch is out. Even after riding the bike to full temp. You can hear it change back and forth when I pull and release the clutch. Not a big deal to me but it does happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
I can't please everyone with every mod... I do my best to produce a good product for a good price. Like most everything in life, you sometimes must compromise...... you need to decide if its worth the price or not. This product does do what I said it would for ignition, acceleration, rpm redline, and hp in 5th gear.


I am working on something different..... this 109 is not quite the same (ECU) thing as a 600/750/1000/busa, I just need to "play" around with it until I can get it to a different mode (other than the ECU fast idle).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Mine does the same thing...but....for 45 bucks...hell....I can't beat that. If an improved one comes out then I may or may not purchase that....very happy with mine and the fluctuating rpms really don't bother me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,579 Posts
Medic1210 said:
No disrespect to you, but I've got to kindly disagree, and suggest that maybe you got a bum JSD. I just installed mine a couple hours ago, and I can assure you that you cannot tell a difference in it over stock when at idle. At crank when cold it runs 1100 or so for a couple seconds and then settles right down to 900. Maybe you should have tried to work with Jeff on getting a replacement as opposed to jumping the gun and giving it away. Either way, don't say the JSDs have an inherent flaw built in because they are not all that way. Mine works just like it's supposed to.

Mike
Well, since my above post, I have paid more attention to my idle speed. I usually don't go to neutral after riding, so I rode the bike to work tonight and went to neutral and let out the clutch.... sure enough, it idled around 1000-1100. I think this is a very minor issue that I can very easily live with.... especially since the only time I run it in neutral is when letting it warm up a bit when first cranking it. I never sit at a light in neutral, and I rarely stop somewhere and hop off the bike leaving it running.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
lawdog said:
No disrespect to the powers that be, but there in a problem built into the JSD-3M. I don't care if you bury the ground wire 20 feet into the Earth with solid gold rebar, the neutral idle speed (with clutch lever out) is going to be 200-300 rpm higher than factory spec of 900 rpm +/- 100.

I am getting rid of my JSD-3M and am waiting for the modified replacement that WILL PRESERVE, every time, the neutral (clutch lever in or out) idle speed. There has to be something that has been (unintentionally) overlooked in the design of the JSD-3M and that is the problem. It can and will be fixed, I'm sure, and that is the unit I will be buying. Even if it costs another $20-$30 bucks. For me, it would be worth it.

Jeff, you listening???

lawdog
Lawdog is exactly right. I don't remember a whole lot from my Electrical Engineering degree ::) but I remember enough to know that the JSD is definitely flawed, and I've been saying so from Day One. Finally, someone else has seen the light as well. I took mine off. I'll be getting parts and making my own soon.

It's not just the idle either. That stupid ground wire hanging out -- I don't know for the life of me why that is there, when it could have been just as easily grounded internally.

Oh, don't forget that little "issue" when you start the bike and it jumps to 2500. That has happened to a lot of people.

And it completely ELIMINATES your rev limiter in ALL gears. That's not right either.

My guess is the transistor is leaking current bad (if there is even one in there) or the resistors are bad, or both. I know Jeff says he tested these but I have a hard time believeing that considering how these are performing on the bikes.

There, I said it. AGAIN.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Wanted said:
Lawdog is exactly right. I don't remember a whole lot from my Electrical Engineering degree ::) but I remember enough to know that the JSD is definitely flawed, and I've been saying so from Day One. Finally, someone else has seen the light as well. I took mine off. I'll be getting parts and making my own soon.

It's not just the idle either. That stupid ground wire hanging out -- I don't know for the life of me why that is there, when it could have been just as easily grounded internally.

Oh, don't forget that little "issue" when you start the bike and it jumps to 2500. That has happened to a lot of people.

And it completely ELIMINATES your rev limiter in ALL gears. That's not right either.

My guess is the transistor is leaking current bad (if there is even one in there) or the resistors are bad, or both. I know Jeff says he tested these but I have a hard time believeing that considering how these are performing on the bikes.

There, I said it. AGAIN.
Hmm, you mean something like this???

 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top