M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Retired on June 18th at 52 instead of waiting till I was 62 for the second time (US Army in 1996 and Goodwill Industries of Kentucky in 2010) and now that the weather's starting to get cold and they have shut down the local bike nights :edit: and alot of folks I know don't like to ride in the cold weather there's not alot to do other than watch TV, go to the gym and take afternoon naps. Thinking about going back to work on a part time basis - NO WEEKENDS PERIOD, well maybe. Some of my options maybe a position like Door Greeter at Walmart or something along those lines because as an excounselor I love interacting people in general as they are very interesting, volunteer work or going back to college to pursue my Masters Degree or PHD are looking like options to keep myself busy during the winter months. I really didn't think that I'd get bored so quickly however, unfortunally, I'm a type A personality. Any suggestions would be helpful. :bigthumbsup: Anyone need their bike detailed - just kidding. :joke:

Thanks,

Bob aka TBAR

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
maybe taking care of this forum to be sure we will be here for a long time ....!!:D Seriously, take your time and take care of your life and peoples you love .... and after that, fine a pleasant work, just to see other peoples and have fun .... ;)

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I can't say I exactly know how you feel, as I"m only 35 and nowhere near retiring. But I do understand the boredom of not having a schedule. If I have too many days off and nothing to fill the time with, I get stir-crazy. Try to enjoy being retired. You've worked hard for it!!

-Josh

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
my dad is going to retire in February. i think he is going to do the same thing.

when i retire, im selling the house and pretty much everything and buying a nice RV and just travel travel travel.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds like a plan

However, right now we have a small hobby farm with 3 horses, 3 dogs, 2 cats and a shtiz load of chickens and ducks. My wife wants to retire to Louisville preferabally the Bardstown Road area where she can terrorize the youngsters as a senile old lady, I kid you not. :yikes:

my dad is going to retire in February. i think he is going to do the same thing.

when i retire, im selling the house and pretty much everything and buying a nice RV and just travel travel travel.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hell Yea!!!

Now thats what im talking about 52.. I hope i can do that I got a lot of fishing i want to do...:bigthumbsup:

Retired on June 18th at 52 instead of waiting till I was 62 for the second time (US Army in 1996 and Goodwill Industries of Kentucky in 2010) and now that the weather's starting to get cold and they have shut down the local bike nights :edit: and alot of folks I know don't like to ride in the cold weather there's not alot to do other than watch TV, go to the gym and take afternoon naps. Thinking about going back to work on a part time basis - NO WEEKENDS PERIOD, well maybe. Some of my options maybe a position like Door Greeter at Walmart or something along those lines because as an excounselor I love interacting people in general as they are very interesting, volunteer work or going back to college to pursue my Masters Degree or PHD are looking like options to keep myself busy during the winter months. I really didn't think that I'd get bored so quickly however, unfortunally, I'm a type A personality. Any suggestions would be helpful. :bigthumbsup: Anyone need their bike detailed - just kidding. :joke:

Thanks,

Bob aka TBAR

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
However, right now we have a small hobby farm with 3 horses, 3 dogs, 2 cats and a shtiz load of chickens and ducks. My wife wants to retire to Louisville preferabally the Bardstown Road area where she can terrorize the youngsters as a senile old lady, I kid you not. :yikes:
selling all that and the land that it takes to have all that you would be able to get a king daddy RV man!

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Seriously, you retired at 52 and you're complaining. :edit: You got it made!!!:bigthumbsup: I'll get to retire the day I die!! Shoulda made better decisions earlier in life :mad:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Now that's the second time I've heard RV

I could sell this place and buy a really kick azz RV. However, I wouldn't be able to even table that with the wifey until the horses are gone. We currently own, two quarter horses and a thoroughbred, Oppie (Open to offers) 23 y/o, (trail horse), Mine an appendix registered thoroughbred Ned (Technique) 23 y/o, hunter/jumper and Tanamara (The brat) (Morning Star in Apache) 10 y/o useless and unbroke. Horses live into their 30's and the wifey isn't leaving until they do.

However, I recently traveled to Key West and the Carolinas (Deals Gap) while she wanted to stay at home and tend to the farm. She even packed my bags for me but ended up following me to Deal Gap. I plan to make many more trips like these when the weather get more favorable.

Summers SO FAR AWAY. :drool:

QUOTE=pynikal;1370402]selling all that and the land that it takes to have all that you would be able to get a king daddy RV man![/QUOTE]

·
Registered
372 Posts
Get a part time job at Lowes. That way you can interact with people, shop, and get a discount all at the same time. You get a great discount on special order items when you work there.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great Idea

As a matter of fact I did just that today to the Elizabethtown store.

Get a part time job at Lowes. That way you can interact with people, shop, and get a discount all at the same time. You get a great discount on special order items when you work there.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It's never too late bro

When I retired from the military at 38 y/o I had $600.00 bucks in the bank after 20 years in the military and a $650.00/mo child support payment. However, I started to save and I've put enough away to be comfortable. These were made using good investment decisions that I was coached through by a surperb investment counselor. The formula is as follows: You'll need as much revenue/income to equal at a minimum of 80% of what you presently make now to live with any dignity at retirement age. Start saving now, it's not impossible. If I can do it anyone can do it. Good luck bro!

Seriously, you retired at 52 and you're complaining. :edit: You got it made!!!:bigthumbsup: I'll get to retire the day I die!! Shoulda made better decisions earlier in life :mad:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
It's easy just start NOW!

It's never too late bro
When I retired from the military at 38 y/o I had $600.00 bucks in the bank after 20 years in the military and a $650.00/mo child support payment. However, I started to save and I've put enough away to be comfortable. These were made using good investment decisions that I was coached through by a surperb investment counselor. The formula is as follows: You'll need as much revenue/income to equal at a minimum of 80% of what you presently make now to live with any dignity at retirement age. Start saving now, it's not impossible. If I can do it anyone can do it. Good luck bro!

I have a close friend who made prosethics (spelling error) while he was in the military. He started his own business (Heartland Brace and Limb) and after 10 years became a millionare with the good investment decisions he made of course. He and his wifey do alot of volunteer work now to keep busy. It's really in how you invest your money. This of course depends on your age and how much of a gamble your willing to take. The higher returns are made on the the risker investments which should be made when your younger then turning your investments into bonds when you get older which are not so risky and net a smaller return.

Now thats what im talking about 52.. I hope i can do that I got a lot of fishing i want to do...:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I'll be 38 when I retire from my first career but I know that I won't be able to stay at home. I am not sure how many options there will be for me, maybe I can be a counselor.............yup I would make a great listener. :joke:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's one of my favorate commericals

My last position before I retired for the second time was as a counselor and I can relate. I just love that guy :bigthumbsup:

I'll be 38 when I retire from my first career but I know that I won't be able to stay at home. I am not sure how many options there will be for me, maybe I can be a counselor.............yup I would make a great listener. :joke:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
first of all :congrats::congrats:eek:n the retirement. if i was in your shoes and needed to stay busy, a part time gig, walmart greeter, associate at a local stealer, that way lil extra cash for the toy and if with the stealer, discount....jmo

·
Registered
320 Posts
pick up a delivery job

:p I am retired also. Type A personality to the MAX. Definitely needed to get out to talk and interact with people . Tried several types of jobs not related to factory work (which I did for 36 years) and found courier job for 25 hrs a week Cool,,,,,deliver mail between banks, off at 11 in morning.........plenty of people contact and windshield time,,,,,love to drive. then all afternoon to play and extra cash to help bill paying Try it you'll love it!!!!!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is a better version - Check it out!

:bigthumbsup: Love it! It was dubbed in from the movie "Full Metal Jacket"

·
Registered
453 Posts
Simple...... get a vehicle that can tow, get a trailer for the bike bring sleeping bag and get your @#[email protected] on the road!!!
OR, you can come to my house, fill in where I'm expected to be when on days of work...oh, and you can take my days off as well, and periodically I'll check with you to make sure everythings ok. OH, and don't forget to feed Hailey (cat)
How's that for a suggestion.

If you need directions I'll be happy to purchase your very own GPS and plug in my address for you.
:clap2:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
My suggestion:

Mod, Mod, Mod.

The bike, the cars, the house, ...

When you are done, start over.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts