M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, if you're at least 6'2" and you've got a windscreen on your M109, does it block helmet buffeting or not? If so, what kind is it and where can I get it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
I'm about 6 and I have a temporary shield on mine that works up to 70 mph and on calm days with no wind you maybe hit 85 before the buffeting starts (usually catch myself lowering my head to keep from getting a headache on days I have to go fast on short notice). I do like it for short around town trips because it really helps with the bugs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
I'm 6'3 and have the spitfire shield like EL but tinted. I also have mine mounted alot lower than EL - so that there is no gap between the headlight housing and shield. One of these days I'll get around to taking a pic...

Anyway, the shield help immensely with wind in the chest at hwy speeds and I can't even speculate how many bugs and such it's save me from. As for the head and helmet, no buffeting - but there is plenty of wind at hwy speeds... just no buffeting. Hope that makes sense....

J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
I am 6'4" and have the Hellcat. It keeps the wind of my chest but there is alot of wind still hitting my shoulders and top portion of my head. When sitting on bike my eye level is just over the top of shield so I dont have to look through it. I dont like wind and this will do until something better comes along.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Jloss.. I am right at 6'1" (I know not at least 6'2") and I just installed the Hellcat from Memphis Shades. I will post how well it works tomorrow after my first ride. Jeez.. what is an inch anyway. :joke: :bigthumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, didn't intend to insult anyone, just didn't want to waste your time if your situation wasn't going to apply to me. I'm 6'3". Thanks to those who told me about their windscreens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
898 Posts
well 6'3" with a 36" inseam is different from 32" inseam... it has as much to do with where your height is distributed.. :bigthumbsup: there could be some guys taller or shorter and still ahve the same trunk length :D just thought i would throw that in for free :joke:

I am looking forward to the replies ... as i am still indecided on a shield for winter...

khrome
 
G

·


have your seat cut down will put you behind the shield more & take away the head butt thing this is mine works great with the shooter shield from direct line
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Jloss, Red1951man (6'1") I've been playing with my hellcat all day trying differant heights and angles. I must say I really have reached no perfect setting. At first the shield was forward as far as it would go and buffeting was terrible. Even at low speeds. Now I have it tilted back pretty far. It is almost the same angle as the headlight housing. Buffeting has stopped but I need a face shield at this angle. Click the link below to see a side view.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1642792&pid=2442560&myphotos=1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
A taller torso usually benefits from some sort of wind management designed into the windshield. There are at least three types, the curved lip, bubble & lip, and the airfoil. The airfoil comes in various sizes and can often be trimmed then added to an existing shield. If you go with the lip design I'd suggest buying a thicker laminate.

Here is an example of a good design, it uses the lip, it's a thick laminate and offers some of the best mounting hardware.

The first and last link are large images.

http://www.windvest.com/gallery/photos/runnne0004.JPG

http://www.windvest.com/gallery/photos/texas chop0004.JPG

http://www.windvest.com/gallery/photos/runne0012.JPG

Here's an example of the airfoil. They come in 130 different sizes.

http://calmoto.com/SHOP/laminarlip.html

I wish there was better news, buffeting is a real headache. The lip design does create a larger dead space around the helmet. I'm afraid you're faced with style vs function on this one. The bubble & lip design works best but that style, while used on sport cycles like the M, is just too fugly to consider in my opinion thus I offered no links.

At any rate, look over the one on the Rune and see if it's something you might like.

LG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
khrome13 said:
well 6'3" with a 36" inseam is different from 32" inseam... it has as much to do with where your height is distributed.. :bigthumbsup: there could be some guys taller or shorter and still ahve the same trunk length :D just thought i would throw that in for free :joke:

I am looking forward to the replies ... as i am still indecided on a shield for winter...

khrome
There are exceptions, but in most cases the taller you are, the higher your seat height. Didn't want to have to ask for inseams!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
red1951man said:
Jloss, Red1951man (6'1") I've been playing with my hellcat all day trying differant heights and angles. I must say I really have reached no perfect setting. At first the shield was forward as far as it would go and buffeting was terrible. Even at low speeds. Now I have it tilted back pretty far. It is almost the same angle as the headlight housing. Buffeting has stopped but I need a face shield at this angle. Click the link below to see a side view.Â

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1642792&pid=2442560&myphotos=1
Thanks for the feedback. I never would have guessed that angling it forward would result in worse buffeting. I've got a lot to learn about shields.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
joet said:


have your seat cut down will put you behind the shield more & take away the head butt thing this is mine works great with the shooter shield from direct line
Interesting. What is the seat height?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LionsGate said:
A taller torso usually benefits from some sort of wind management designed into the windshield. There are at least three types, the curved lip, bubble & lip, and the airfoil. The airfoil comes in various sizes and can often be trimmed then added to an existing shield. If you go with the lip design I'd suggest buying a thicker laminate.

Here is an example of a good design, it uses the lip, it's a thick laminate and offers some of the best mounting hardware.

The first and last link are large images.

http://www.windvest.com/gallery/photos/runnne0004.JPG

http://www.windvest.com/gallery/photos/texas chop0004.JPG

Thanks for the feedback!

http://www.windvest.com/gallery/photos/runne0012.JPG

Here's an example of the airfoil. They come in 130 different sizes.

http://calmoto.com/SHOP/laminarlip.html

I wish there was better news, buffeting is a real headache. The lip design does create a larger dead space around the helmet. I'm afraid you're faced with style vs function on this one. The bubble & lip design works best but that style, while used on sport cycles like the M, is just too fugly to consider in my opinion thus I offered no links.

At any rate, look over the one on the Rune and see if it's something you might like.

LG
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top