M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PICKED UP A SELF DRILLING SCREW IN MY REAR TIRE OVER THE WEEKEND. THE CYCLE SHOP SAID IT WASNT SAFE TO PATCH. IS THIS TRUE? THE TIRE IS STOCK WITH ABOUT 2000 MILES ON IT. IF I REPLACE IT I WANT TO BUY A 250-40-18 . DO THEY MAKE A 250 WITH THE VR SPEED RATING? ALL I HAVE SEEN COME WITH JUST AN R RATING WITH 109 MPH. THE VR IS RATED AT 149 MPH. THANKS REVVIN

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Slime it and run it. Stuff works good. I'm not one to do the plug thing. I got a screw in the tire the other day. I didn't have enuff slime so it bubbles and weeped a little. So i got more, put it in and clogged that bad boy. It weeped a little for a day then clogs.

The good thing about Slime is, you get another nail or screw in it you can just pull it and run it.

Dave @ NES.stone

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Do not run a plug or slime on a MC tire even if you think it is ok for a car tire.

Bikes steer with both tires and a consistent shape is important to consistent steering and wear.

I would not worry about the R rating unless you are living above 150.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I had the same thing happen earlier in the season. Just replace the tire and you don't have to worry about it. I know it's hard to let go of the cash but much easier now than when the tire blows and you end up in the hospital. I wasn't happy with the dealers not patching it either but I got over it after I found out it wasn't just my dealer saying this.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I PROBABLY TAKE IT OVER 130MPH ONCE IN A WHILE MAYBE ONCE A WEEK. SO THE R RATING IS NO PROBLEM? THE TIRE I WAS LOOKING AT IS THE DUNLOP E3 250-40R-18 . ITS IN J&P FOR 169.00

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You will be fine with the r.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have ran a few tires with a plug and patch with no problem. the worst thing that ever happened was when the tire was just about down to the threads the plug started leaking. It depends where the hole is at. if it is in the sidewalls dont plug or patch.

The E3 is the best tire for the money IMO

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,901 Posts
I'm also going to go against general consensus here - I picked up a screw dead center in my rear tire and plugged it. If it were closer to the sidewall I would replace it.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
SLIME WAS MAKE FOR BIKES. I run slime in my rear and theres not many on here that run hard like I do. Again, Slime is made for bikes. Read the label. Duhhh.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can`t type very well so it was easier to leave on. Must be a pet peave of yours. Didn`t mean to offend. On the tire, I have ballance beads in it so the slime wouldn`t be an option.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Can`t type very well so it was easier to leave on. Must be a pet peave of yours. Didn`t mean to offend. On the tire, I have ballance beads in it so the slime wouldn`t be an option.
Caps lock on a forum shows yelling. I don't think you were yelling your question, but yes you can call it a pet peave. No offense taken... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
547 Posts
SLIME WAS MAKE FOR BIKES. I run slime in my rear and theres not many on here that run hard like I do. Again, Slime is made for bikes. Read the label. Duhhh.
Yeah i always believe the labels when my a$$ is on the line. Glad it worked for you but after talking to a few different shops I decided my a$$ was worth more than the $10.00 bottle of slime.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rusty, what 250 tire are you running? I`m going to buy a new tire ,not worth the risk.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Rusty, what 250 tire are you running? I`m going to buy a new tire ,not worth the risk.
If I remember correctly they put a Dunlap on there. If you need me to I can double check tonight when I get home but I believe that's what it was.

·
Registered
53 Posts
:agree::agree:replace it dont take the chance besides if you did the slime when you went to replace the tire the guys at the tire shop would probably would b:edit:ch about it being in there i know i did when i worked for the suzuki dealership:D

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I just don't see how slime would keep your tire balanced at high speeds.:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
plug in my first tire @ about 6400 and ran it until over 9 k

3rd tire I picked up a screw early, about 2000k and plugged it and @ about 3000 I picked up a needle valve and it left a huge hole that I did not think would plug but it did, rode home fine with two plugs but I just did not feel safe with the huge hole in it, patches from the inside work better than plugs or so I am told, almost new tire and I replaced it

I will post the pictures later in a post on plugs but you can see my last tires with plugs in my album, doc's pics

plugs don't bother me if the hole is small

just one man's opinion

Doc

1 - 20 of 29 Posts