M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to replace front and rear tires on my 9. I am thinking of the Metz 260 on the rear (I have stock rims) and possibly going larger on front with a Metz 160R16. Before I spend this large sum of money, I am looking for feedback from my fellow 9 owners on two questions.

1. Which is better 250 Dunlop Elite 3, or the 260 Metzler?

2 Will going oversize on front effect handling negatively?

All honest feedback is definately appreciated and wanted. Thanks

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Not trying to be jerk by saying this but.......THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN TALKED ABOUT ON COUNTLESS THREADS AD NAUSEAM!!!!!

Where's the popcorn eating Icon!? :pop::pop::pop:

Search "Tires" "Metzler" "Dunlop" and enjoy.

I think I'm just on this darn forum too much is my problem. :redfaced: Pay no attention to me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I apologize if this is beating a dead horse, in my ignorance I didn't know I could search the forum. I just scanned through and saw tire pressure issues etc., but not addressing both of my questions at one time. Didn't mean to offend or irritate anyone.:redfaced:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
It really depends on your riding style. If you ride agressive and want to carve corners, you want the Metzeler. The Dunlop gets better mileage, but it's a harder compound.

-JOsh

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My riding style isn't very aggressive, so I am really more interested in tire life. So, the Dunnies would better serve my purpose then?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I love my dunlop E3 250, works great and great price. I ride hard and soft works great all round. the 240 is to small when looking from the back the rim is wider then the tire, the 250 looks and rides the best. Metzeler amd avon tires are great as well

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I went with the elite 3's on rear, do they have an oversize that would fit my front as well? If so, what size would be best? I don't want to modify anything,and I sure don't want to melt my fender. Thanks for any feedback any can give.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Not trying to be jerk by saying this but.......THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN TALKED ABOUT ON COUNTLESS THREADS AD NAUSEAM!!!!!

Where's the popcorn eating Icon!? :pop::pop::pop:

Search "Tires" "Metzler" "Dunlop" and enjoy.

I think I'm just on this darn forum too much is my problem. :redfaced: Pay no attention to me.
What ??? nobody ask for that before ... :pop:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
If I went with the elite 3's on rear, do they have an oversize that would fit my front as well? If so, what size would be best? I don't want to modify anything,and I sure don't want to melt my fender. Thanks for any feedback any can give.
You can run the Dunlop E-3 250/40-18 on the back. I recommend the Metzeler 160/60vr18 for the front tire. I got 14000 miles on the front before I swapped it out. It still had tread left, but I gave it to my dad. He needed a tire for his Harley.

-JOsh

·
Registered
245 Posts
Front Metz front 880 XL Marathon 160/60/Vr18 (40PSI)must be mounted backwards
Rear 260/40/VR18 (40 PSI) (w/passenger 42 PSI):bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can run the Dunlop E-3 250/40-18 on the back. I recommend the Metzeler 160/60vr18 for the front tire. I got 14000 miles on the front before I swapped it out. It still had tread left, but I gave it to my dad. He needed a tire for his Harley.

-JOsh
How is that handling compared to stock tires? I was originally considering the 260 Metzler because I heard with it, the bike was easier to lean into curves as opposed to the stock 240. I would assume the 250 E3 would handle about the same as the 260 Metz, I wonder how the oversize front tire affects it. I really appreciate your input.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Well the best way I could put it to you is WOW! Better leaning, better handling, the new tires helps you get more confident in the lean and turns as u will feel them getting a better grip on the road. Stock front tire Its to small for such a big and strong bike. I just turned 110 miles today since I got them last Friday , temperatures in Atlanta, Ga has been around mid 30s to mid 40s and they are handling is awesome, the more you break in the tires the better they are going to feel, BEST MOD ever on this machine. You can put fuel processor, pipes, power commander whatever u want on this bike but is u don't have some good tires for handling, corners etc the bike is nothing, just they way I see it.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have 500 mi on my 160/60 260/40 Metz combo and I will never go back .

I posted in another thread asking for dissatisfied customers and got nothing . There are some who will post to avoid the fat front . But they haven't actually mounted this tire on their bike .

Listen to folks who have some skin in the game . Go phat or go home.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Well the best way I could put it to you is WOW! Better leaning, better handling, the new tires helps you get more confident in the lean and turns as u will feel them getting a better grip on the road. Stock front tire Its to small for such a big and strong bike. I just turned 110 miles today since I got them last Friday , temperatures in Atlanta, Ga has been around mid 30s to mid 40s and they are handling is awesome, the more you break in the tires the better they are going to feel, BEST MOD ever on this machine. You can put fuel processor, pipes, power commander whatever u want on this bike but is u don't have some good tires for handling, corners etc the bike is nothing, just they way I see it.:bigthumbsup:
Thank You so much for your input. I am about 5 hrs north of you on the Ky, TN line, so no ridng for me, it has been crazy cold. Still waiting for the Global warming, lol.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have 500 mi on my 160/60 260/40 Metz combo and I will never go back .

I posted in another thread asking for dissatisfied customers and got nothing . There are some who will post to avoid the fat front . But they haven't actually mounted this tire on their bike .

Listen to folks who have some skin in the game . Go phat or go home.
Wow, good. Have you heard of any negative feedback with a 250 E3 Dunnie on rear and 160 metz on front? I don't ride that aggressive, so I am hearing the Dunnie lasts longer than the Metz. If that be the case and price is less, it is tempting to go that route.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts

-JOsh
Was that going on the back of his Harley? :D

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I've run Metz twice (130/260) and Dunnies twice (stock and E3 250). Without a doubt the Metz wins hands down. Great handling tire, but expect to get less mileage and pay 2X over the Dunnie 250.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've run Metz twice (130/260) and Dunnies twice (stock and E3 250). Without a doubt the Metz wins hands down. Great handling tire, but expect to get less mileage and pay 2X over the Dunnie 250.
Honestly, my biggest concern is the life of the tire. I ride alot, and would like to get as much mileage as I can out of them. I have heard alot of good things about the Metz, and was getting ready to order them, but I am thinking now of the Elite 3's simply for tire life.

I really appreciate you feed back, helps alot.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I havea 160 metzler on the front and a 260 metzler on the rear .Best mod of all if i was you go with the metzler.
I heard the 260 rear was a great tire. I spoke to another 9 owner at our local bike shop, and he was running the Metz. He said he loved them. Being that I am not tha aggressive, I am wondering if the handling is worth the extra cost and faster wear?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts