M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replace my stock battery with the High Performance Motocross Platinum AGM
My digital battery load tester shows it at 411 CCA after 6 Hr. changing @ 2 AMP slow charge to 100% charge (no printed label CCA rating) and according to the manufacture these battery is factory rated @ 270 CCA with 60% charge. They perform load test at a maximum of 60% charge, as most people don't follow regular battery maintenance procedure to charge batteries to a 100% when they drop bellow 80% change. they explain that most people will continue to run the battery bellow 80% change most of the time and therefore load testing a battery @ 100% charge only says that it will perform at printed rating @ 100% charge and not below @ 100%
The guy told me at 10-15 Hr. changing on 2 Amp has tested as high as 500 CCA on these battery

I've load tested new fully charge car batteries that was only tested at 400 CCA with printed label rating of 580 CCA

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Thats Some High Numbers for a Bike Battery ! I will be looking one soon ,atleast before the next riding season , Where did you find this one ?

thanks for the Heads up :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Replace my stock battery with the High Performance Motocross Platinum AGM
My digital battery load tester shows it at 411 CCA after 6 Hr. changing @ 2 AMP slow charge to 100% charge (no printed label CCA rating) and according to the manufacture these battery is factory rated @ 270 CCA with 60% charge. They perform load test at a maximum of 60% charge, as most people don't follow regular battery maintenance procedure to charge batteries to a 100% when they drop bellow 80% change. they explain that most people will continue to run the battery bellow 80% change most of the time and therefore load testing a battery @ 100% charge only says that it will perform at printed rating @ 100% charge and not below @ 100%
The guy told me at 10-15 Hr. changing on 2 Amp has tested as high as 500 CCA on these battery

I've load tested new fully charge car batteries that was only tested at 400 CCA with printed label rating of 580 CCA

Not quite, my man. It's not 0F there yet, and unless you got a deep freeze in your lab, you're not measuring CCA. You are measuring cranking amps. CCA is defined as amperage produced at 0F. Your battery is rated at 270 CCA, end of story. Sorry to burst your bubble, but these battery manufacturers try to boost claims. And I hope this guy you talked to is not a battery expert. Check this battery out if you want real CCA:

http://www.braillebattery.com/index.php/batteries/b14115/#

360 real CCA, lightweight (11.5 lbs), and fits our bike.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just retested the battery after running the bike for 60 miles today
Here is the read out taken with my Midtrones digital tester
to convert to CA, just multiply the CCA by 1.8

60% charge 270 CCA X 1.8 = 486 CA

100% charge 425 CCA X 1.8 = 765 CA

Bellow is a picture of my digital tester

Midtronics MDX-P300 Battery Conductance & Electrical System Tester with Integrated PrinterPart Number: MIDMDXP300

G

·
If the battery was not 0 degrees Fahrenheit, from a deep freeze, or in your car in Florida in winter, at 0 degrees all night, then your results mean no-thing.

Technical definition of CCA:

Cold cranking amps (CCA)-
Cold cranking amps (CCA) is the amount of current a battery can provide at 0 °F (−18 °C). The rating is defined as the amperage a lead-acid battery at that temperature can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell (7.2 volts for a 12-volt battery). It is a more demanding test than those at higher temperatures.

Reading again -----<<<<<It is a more demanding test than those at higher temperatures.>>>>>
You are testing at the higher temperatures.

Read this link, ok:

"cranking amps at 0 degrees F"

Motocross is made in USA for Yuasa, SAAAME battery.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/YSA-YTX20CH-BS/

Or, how about this? Page 9, top, 4th battery down. "C.C.A. @ 0F"

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/2009_yuasa_apps_specs.pdf

I can assure you, you have not struck gold here.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
High performance batteries

There's only one in my book. Retest that battery after it sits all winter compared to an Odyssey.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Not my experience

Yes, it's an AGM, but the ability to hold a charge of the Odyssey is amazing. This has been my actual experience with these batteries. I've had other AGMs, they did not hold up over time. Just my 2 cents.
PS, they ship with no seperate acid to add, dry cell. A big plus to me.

G

·
Yes, it's an AGM, but the ability to hold a charge of the Odyssey is amazing. This has been my actual experience with these batteries. I've had other AGMs, they did not hold up over time. Just my 2 cents.
PS, they ship with no seperate acid to add, dry cell. A big plus to me.
Curious as to which AGM's that did not hold up?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
AMGs

Curious as to which AGM's that did not hold up?
The 2 that I had in my 2000 Intruder, what ever Suzuki used, not sure what brand. Also a few my Seadoo dealer used before he went to Odyssey's. I don't remember the brand. One exploded after adding the acid and letting it sit. Glad I had the top bolted on.
I took them out every year and kept them on my workbench, and charged them every 3-4 weeks. They always took a while to charge. The Odyssey just read full charge every time I tried to charge it. After a few years of this, it dawned on me that it held a charge for a long time. They advertise 1-2 years, but I can tell you 6-7 months for me it held a full charge.
BTW, I don't work for them.:D

G

·
The 2 that I had in my 2000 Intruder, what ever Suzuki used, not sure what brand. Also a few my Seadoo dealer used before he went to Odyssey's. I don't remember the brand. One exploded after adding the acid and letting it sit. Glad I had the top bolted on.
I took them out every year and kept them on my workbench, and charged them every 3-4 weeks. They always took a while to charge. The Odyssey just read full charge every time I tried to charge it. After a few years of this, it dawned on me that it held a charge for a long time. They advertise 1-2 years, but I can tell you 6-7 months for me it held a full charge.
BTW, I don't work for them.:D
Remind me to never bring any batteries near you! I am glad I have never had the luck with batteries that you have...........

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
Is that Motocross battery the one that Battery Mart sells? They've worked OK for me over the years in my old Sportster, and it basically shakes anything to death in a year or two.

I went with the Odyssey battery as well. Made to military grade specs and is not that much more expensive than other premium batteries. So far it's been great and I expect it to stay that way for at least 4 or 5 more years. My stock battery made it close to 4 years and still had some life left in it, but it was cranking slower on the cold days.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My stock battery made it from November of 2007 to November of 2010
here in south Florida we only gets 1 to 4 weeks of cold days where it may sometimes dip to 32-36 for a day or two
Our battery killer here is the heat
No BS, both of our airport runway shutdown lights came with 6 Odyssey PC2150S 31 series batteries (like you will find in trucks and heavy equipment) but they did not hold up much different from any other battery we use.
with a bit over 200 equipments and trucks in my care, I am always looking for good batteries that can stand the test.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not quite, my man. It's not 0F there yet, and unless you got a deep freeze in your lab, you're not measuring CCA. You are measuring cranking amps. CCA is defined as amperage produced at 0F. Your battery is rated at 270 CCA, end of story. Sorry to burst your bubble, but these battery manufacturers try to boost claims. And I hope this guy you talked to is not a battery expert. Check this battery out if you want real CCA:

http://www.braillebattery.com/index.php/batteries/b14115/#

360 real CCA, lightweight (11.5 lbs), and fits our bike.
Braille PCA packs a punch when cranking, but you will pay for it in burnout starters. . . DC motors don't like to be run like a jackhammer

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Is that Motocross battery the one that Battery Mart sells? They've worked OK for me over the years in my old Sportster, and it basically shakes anything to death in a year or two.

I went with the Odyssey battery as well. Made to military grade specs and is not that much more expensive than other premium batteries. So far it's been great and I expect it to stay that way for at least 4 or 5 more years. My stock battery made it close to 4 years and still had some life left in it, but it was cranking slower on the cold days.
:agree: Mary and I both swapped to the Odyssey in May of this year and love them. Winter time I am just pulling them out and throwing a charge on them and leaving them on the work bench.

G

·
:agree: Mary and I both swapped to the Odyssey in May of this year and love them. Winter time I am just pulling them out and throwing a charge on them and leaving them on the work bench.
I got an 11 year old Optima Yellow AGM in the Mustang. I use a CTEK charger to keep it fresh in the winter. Still going, I am however approaching the 12 year design life. I think I can beat it!! ARRR ARRR ARRR!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I got an 11 year old Optima Yellow AGM in the Mustang. I use a CTEK charger to keep it fresh in the winter. Still going, I am however approaching the 12 year design life. I think I can beat it!! ARRR ARRR ARRR!
I had the red top in my z28. great batteries.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Pulse amps

Hmmm. Good point. Must be what they mean by Pulse Cranking Amps. 904! Youch.
I read that pulse amps are the 3-5 second measure of remaining charge at 80 degrees as opposed to the 30 second measurement for the other measurements. Pulse doesn't mean it turns off and on in the normal use of the word. It's just the more typical useage as in starting your vehicle.
Everyone has their own experience with batteries that forms their opinion.
My Corvette came with an AC Delco that held up fine for 5 years, even sitting for long periods since I don't drive it much. So I got the same battery recently. I didn't want to get stuck somewhere. My wife's Murano stock battery died after 3 years, so I went with a different type for a replacement.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts