M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Must gain access to the ECU on the left side of bike behind the m109r panel and left aft chrome panel.Then remove the lower connector on ECU. On the back side of connector it is numbered , go to pin 23 it has a pink wire in that pin. Go about  three inches away from the connector and cut the pink wire. The end going to the connector strip and splice one end of the 2.7 K OHM RESISTOR to it . the other end of resistor splice about ten inches of wire to it so you can route it to ground. Add A terminal lug and ground it to the black bracket that holds the ECU, under the bolt that holds the black bracket works pretty good for me. This will make the BIKE HAVE KILLER THROTTLE RESPONSE AND TORQUE IN THE FIRST THREE GEARS ALONG WITH SUPERSONIC TOP SPEED.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Are you getting any cylinder detonation with this mod? I guess I kinda assumed the ignition timing retard was to ensure a complete burn at lower revs. Of course, I could be way off on that.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I HAVE to do this today! :eek:

You make it sound like the hounds have been unleashed by this mod.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Lamonster said:
That's what I thought. I'm going to do this mod today and put a connector on both ends so I can test this on the dyno tomorrow. Good job. :bigthumbsup:
Don't forget to take pix so you can make another step-by-step. Don't you just love posting those? :p

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wanted said:
Are you getting any cylinder detonation with this mod? I guess I kinda assumed the ignition timing retard was to ensure a complete burn at lower revs. Of course, I could be way off on that.
just GOT BACK FROM RIDING AND NO THERE IS ZERO DETONATION AND I am only running 89 octane. The temp outside is about 80 degrees and i have Ben riding in traffic. Besides the timing is now just set to what you would normally have in 4th gear.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maniac m109r said:
just GOT BACK FROM RIDING AND NOÂ THERE IS ZERO DETONATION AND I am only running 89 octane. The temp outside is about 80 degrees and i have Ben riding in traffic. Besides the timing is now just set to what you would normally have in 4th gear.
One thing I did notice is my bike does idle about 200rpm higher.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lamonster said:
That's what I thought. I'm going to do this mod today and put a connector on both ends so I can test this on the dyno tomorrow. Good job. :bigthumbsup:
Not sure how much you will notice as far as peak power because you were already doing your dyno runs in 4th gear , but you should be able to tell us how fast it will go in 5th gear :bigthumbsup:. This mod you will really notice in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear .The throttle response and torque gains in those gears is a definite improvement.

·
Registered
817 Posts
maniac m109r said:
just GOT BACK FROM RIDING AND NOÂ THERE IS ZERO DETONATION AND I am only running 89 octane. The temp outside is about 80 degrees and i have Ben riding in traffic. Besides the timing is now just set to what you would normally have in 4th gear.
Okay, makes sense. Still, I'd be more comfortable undertaking this mod if I knew why the ignition timing retard exists in the first place.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 200rpm idle is do to the timing advance...usually with suzukis it only is advanced a little at idle and doesnt affect idle speed as long as you are at the factory spec for idle. It will make the fast idle at start up several hundred rpm higher. This is why some TRE manufacturers built smart TREs . What idle rpm(fully warm) were you at before the mod?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Most high performance Suzukis have timing retarders built into the first three gears...its to quell throttle response and avoid wheelspin/wheelies. Suzuki is SO good to us. For a full understanding google" Ivans TRE" and go to his site. It will explain what happens. Ivan knows his sh#t

·
Registered
817 Posts
maniac m109r said:
For smooth spongy power in the lower gears, makes it easy for novice riders. When you do it you will know why.
So, will this mod make it more lungey than it is now? At low speeds in 1st and 2nd, it sometimes feels like a bucking bronco as it is!

Also... is there any wattage rating we need to look for on the resistor, or will a standard 1/2 watt do? And o you recommend heat-shrinking the resistor to make the connection nice and watertight?

I plan to do this mod tonight or tomorrow if I can get to a Radio Shack. :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ckouze said:
The 200rpm idle is do to the timing advance...usually with suzukis it only is advanced a little at idle and doesnt affect idle speed as long as you are at the factory spec for idle. It will make the fast idle at start up several hundred rpm higher. This is why some TRE manufacturers built smart TREs . What idle rpm(fully warm) were you at before the mod?
YES IT IDLED PER SPEC BEFORE , 200 RPM IS HARDLY NOTICEABLE. IT IS JUST SET TO WHAT EVER THE COMPUTER IS PROGRAMMED FOR IN 4TH GEAR. YES ENGINE WAS WARM./

1 - 20 of 227 Posts