M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I came up with a pretty good solution for the tank stickers that are a pain to get off. I used a product called “Goof Off” to remove the stickers and it only took about 10-15 minutes to remove the stickers. The Goof Off softens the plastic material the stickers are made of. You can buy Goof Off at most stores like Wal-Mart and Home Depot, and they come in a variety of sizes. Here are the steps:

1. Peel off the top plastic layer of the tank stickers. The top layer peels off pretty easily.
2. Once you have the top layer off, wet a spot on a rag and wipe the sticker. You will notice the writing on the sticker will disappear.
3. Keep wetting and the rag and wipe the surface of the sticker, maybe three or four times. Once this is done all I did was use my fingernail to scrape the stickers off and they came off with ease.
4. Once you get the stickers off you can use the Goof Off to completely remove the glue and residue from the paint.
5. After removing all of the glue I used some water on rag and wiped the tank clean.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I used the fingernail method also, but didn't use the goof off. Wasn't sure if it would affect the finish.
Instead, i used a sap, bug, and tar remover from Meguiar's. It took over an hour and a sore thumbnail, but it came out perfect.
Are you debadging ?

G

·
I actaully used something called "Eraser"....used by alot of body shop,,including ours to remove labels ,,stickers ,pinstriping,etc....took me maybe 3 minutes including alittle pre-clean(to remove a little glue resisdue) and hand glaze polish......used it on my marauder and on the m109....no scratches,,but must go slow...rpm wise... ;D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The goof off is ok on the painted metal parts, but i would stay away from using it on the plastic parts. Maybe stick with the wd-40 for the plastic parts. I am not sure what will be involved in debadging, but for me it is not a priority. Right now I am dealing with the meathead dealer techs overfilling my oil. The left side air cleaner is soaked. WTF!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Took me about 15 minutes to take the sticker off...hair dryer, finger nail, patience. If you can get a large piece off keep it...when there is all but goo left on the tank use the large piece you have, heat up the goo with the hair dryer and use the cool large sticker piece ... dabbing it on the warmer goo...gets most of the crap off for ya...then use the magic cloth...you know the micro fibre window or cleaning cloths. These things are awsome...cleans bugs, crap, gets crome looking super. These cloths clean everything without soap...or any other chemicals wd 40 or the like. I use them on all my vehicles...to clean the cloth just put in the washing machine with no soap and hang to dry!...absolutely no goo left after using these cloths. :) ;D Oh ya ok to use on plastic...works good in the bathroom too...clean the marble up nice and smooth!

rideher

·
Registered
26 Posts
fingernailed the tank sticker, took about an hour--hairdryer on the tank badges, when heated slid a then piece of plastic under and it popped right off, left a mess of glue though. i'm in the car business and we use a solution called pro-sol to clean old sticker glue off of trade-ins, everything rubbed right off in about 30 minutes. pulled the rear zuki sticker off and both m109 badges. personally it takes away some of the clutter to me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i answered my own question by debadging the whole bike. It looks nice. If I get around to it I will post a pic or 2. :evil:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, well at the risk of sounding like a dumbass, I couldn't figure out how to post pics on the site. I am using a mac so maybe that is the problem. If you could help I would be in your debt. Thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I wasted 45 minutes of my life that I can't get back taking those stupid warning stickers off !! I must have cursed Suzuki a hundred times and my thumb fingernail was sore!! The Suzuki sticker on the tail came off like nothing. I think they made a mistake on which stickers should have the tougher glue !!

-Chad

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
When I debadged my truck I used sunshine, a hairdryer and one of those plastic scrapers the body shops use... It did not husrt the paint and my thumb felt great ;)

Sledzep

·
Registered
145 Posts
I scraped the stickers off with a regular plastic windshield ice scraper and to get rid of the remaining glue I just used a little bit of "GOO GONE!" and rubbing compound.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
used a hairdryer, plastic spoon, goo gone, and wd-40. it worked, but it still wasn't easy. i just don't think there's an easy way to do this.

good little tip for removing the badges: heat with hair dryer, take fishing wire behind it and saw all the way down til it comes off. that's the easy part though. gettin all that glue crap off is the hard part.

·
Registered
679 Posts
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Be careful using "goof off" on the Suki sticker I must have scratched the paint with my nail and when I used the "goof off" it took off the paint in a small area about the size of the head of an 8 penny nail. Guess I learned that lesson the hard way and will have to get the touch up paint out. BTW bought the bike last Saturday and todaywas the first real ride (150 miles in OC California) and I am glad I traded my the VN 2000. I had a $600 Mustang seat on the VN and I still had a 75 mile butt. I was much more comfortable today with the stock seat. I am 6' 6" 340lbs so a set of forward controls is first on the wish list.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had good luck with NuFinish getting off the adhesive. A friend told me to try it and I wouldn't have believed it otherwise.

Maybe leave it sitting in the sun for a few hours before attempting to remove it and I just used my fingernails to get it off.

-Tim

·
Registered
267 Posts
Let the bike sit in the sun and then just slowly peel the stickers off. I did use some watered down goof off to get the last of the adhesive residue off, but had no problem at all. Took all of 2 minutes and then I took a little water and rised the goof off-off.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have a Wagner heat gun...I placed it in the medium setting...held it over the stickers for 11/2 mins....peeled off like melted butter, did leave some glue behind....dabbed some gas on a cotton rag...and cleaned up intantly...put 2 coats of wax on the tank and looks great.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts