M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the smoked turn signal lens covers to replace my regular amber ones and I have no idea on how to get just the lens covers off. Is there some kind of trick? Can anyone help??

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
There's a screw in the bottom of the housing, pull out the screw and then twist the lens counter-clockwise about 1/8 of a turn and it'll come right out:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got mine at D2moto.com but I don't think I would buy from them again. It comes with the housing but none of the replacements fit. So I have to take the smoked lens off (off the housing) and just switch the lens... Good price though and I can get you a 40% off coupon code that worked for me if you'd like...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave. I know how to take the turn signals off the bike but I need to take the lens off the housing of the actual individual signals. Are they glued on? Think a heat gun would work?

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Dave. I know how to take the turn signals off the bike but I need to take the lens off the housing of the actual individual signals. Are they glued on? Think a heat gun would work?
just turn them they are glued on . its that brittle looking crap ...bit like how supa glue looks when it dries up ...dont forget to glue them back on....just with a bit of silicone.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
:doh:
I see what you're saying now. I would think a heat gun would work but without seeing them I dont know.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Took mine off for the first time this weekend. They just popped off with a little twist after removing the screw. Be careful with the heat gun.
Also, be careful re-installing the screw. They strip real easy!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Have a close look to see why they wont fit. I had a similar problem earlier this year when I bought some clear lenses on eBay.

They would not fit, BUT with some gentle shaving with a stanley blade and a little dremel work on the retaining lugs, they fit fine.
The problem I had, was the back side of the lens that mate with the chrome face was a bit rough and needed to be cleaned up. Once that was fitting ok, then the lug that secures the lens in place when you 1/4 turn it wouldnt fit. a slight rub of the dremel fixed that. I was tempted to return mine for a refund, but seeing the problem wasn't a big one, I made em work.
I wouldn't go hacking your original lenses to make the smokers fit. I'd send em back for a refund before going that route. What if you were to fck up one of your originals housings trying to make the replacements work?

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
No they are not glued on or should I say they are not supposed to be glued on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You bought them from customdynamics.com and they fit in perfectly? If so, I will def return the ones I have now and go with them...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just messed with the installation and I found out the reason they wouldn't go in properly...

#1. The notch (on the new smoked lens) that fits into the space that allows the 1/8 turn is too big. Won't allow it to properly spin. So with a small knife, took a small section of it off. After that, it spun just like the stocks did and fits snug.

#2. Now that it spins well, the holes under the housing where the screw goes doesn't line up with the new lens. So, with a small bit, I had to wallow that hole out a little to allow the screw to get in there.

Fits great now and looks really good. Just thought I'd let you all know...

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
Pretty sure there is a left lense and a right lense (opposites).
Unless I just got really lucky on all 4 of mine a couple times, a lens is just a lens, no left or right. They both rotate and turn off in the same direction.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think you got lucky. There is definitely a left and right side. With a little tweaking, all 4 fit in nicely...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts