M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when the swingarm is removed does the bearing in the frame have to be replaced?

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
From the looks of the diagram, just unbolt and bolt back in for removal. I assume if there is a problem you would need to replace it. What are you doing?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
going to get it chromed. there use to be pdf files link for a lot of how to but i can't find it. if anyone know the link can they post it!!:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I did not replace the bearing in mine. I don't think that you would need to replace the bearing unless you had damage to the swingarm or frame.

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
going to get it chromed. there use to be pdf files link for a lot of how to but i can't find it. if anyone know the link can they post it!!:dontknow:
Well, if it's pressed in, anytrhing in the swing arm will have to be removed. If you can get it out w/o ruining it, you could re-use it. However, if it was me, I would just replace is since it has to be removed. Can't cost too much.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
What is the difficulty level of this project and what tools will be needed? I am thinking about sending my entire rear end for chroming but first must ensure that I am not biting more than I can chew???.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
You do not need to remove/replace the bearing. The bearing is in the frame part, not the swingarm. However, there is a sort of sleeve that the bolt runs through that is inside the bearing. The bearings are needle type and about 1" or so long. If the sleeve comes out, there is a good chance some of the needles may fall out from the top side. If so, use some good bearing grease to hold them back up there until the sleeve gets put back in. Important, do not lose any needles and make sure they are all in there. Oh, it is a really good idea anyway to regrease both bearings for future.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
What is the difficulty level of this project and what tools will be needed? I am thinking about sending my entire rear end for chroming but first must ensure that I am not biting more than I can chew???.
If you have mechanical skill and the service manual this is not a hard job. But with that being said, it is by no means a ground ball. As far as tools, you will need a mcy lift, axle tools, all the metric sockets and wrenches necessary for any mechanical job on this bike. If you plan on taking your hub apart yourself. You will need bearing puller and the proper press to install new bearings. I wound up making my own because the tools through suzuki were on backorder and a rip off to boot. I had both my hub and swingarm chromed. I would suggest that if you plan on doing the job, you should do it all at once since it is a lot of work.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
If you have mechanical skill and the service manual this is not a hard job. But with that being said, it is by no means a ground ball. As far as tools, you will need a mcy lift, axle tools, all the metric sockets and wrenches necessary for any mechanical job on this bike. If you plan on taking your hub apart yourself. You will need bearing puller and the proper press to install new bearings. I wound up making my own because the tools through suzuki were on backorder and a rip off to boot. I had both my hub and swingarm chromed. I would suggest that if you plan on doing the job, you should do it all at once since it is a lot of work.
Thanks lostrider:bigthumbsup:. While I have never been mechanically inclined, I have gotten the nerves to do a few things since I got this bike and the "Mod Bug" bit. One of my biggest projects was installing the AirRide and the custom wheels with the 280 on the rear. I went as far as removing the hub with shaft and all and then having to remove the secondary to align it back with the u-joint when it was time to put it back together; Of course with the assistance of many of the members here.

In the event that I sent the hub in for chroming, it will go complete, probably with the exception of the shaft which I will have to find a way to detach. That is one of the main reasons why I am looking at Stump's because he is the only one that I have found that offers a complete re-built and not just the chroming of the hub shell.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Thanks lostrider:bigthumbsup:. While I have never been mechanically inclined, I have gotten the nerves to do a few things since I got this bike and the "Mod Bug" bit. One of my biggest projects was installing the AirRide and the custom wheels with the 280 on the rear. I went as far as removing the hub with shaft and all and then having to remove the secondary to align it back with the u-joint when it was time to put it back together; Of course with the assistance of many of the members here.

In the event that I sent the hub in for chroming, it will go complete, probably with the exception of the shaft which I will have to find a way to detach. That is one of the main reasons why I am looking at Stump's because he is the only one that I have found that offers a complete re-built and not just the chroming of the hub shell.

I hear you Adrian. Honestly with what you have already taken on you can handle the swingarm no problem at all. Since you still have the stock exhaust, you will have to remove that to take the swingarm off. Like I said if you give Chip a call, he can do the hub complete. He does not advertise that on his site but did offer me that service when I did mine. Pulling the shaft is a piece of cake. Don't pay the extra to ship a large box that you will need if you leave the shaft attached. It is only held in with a snap ring. You simply push down on the shaft once the hub is off the bike, then use a long nose set of snap ring pliers and pop the snap ring out. The shaft then pulls right out. Putting it back in is even easier. After removing the shaft be sure to secure the spring that is behind the shaft so that you don't lose it. When reistalling make sure to use a liberal amount of grease. That area has be shown to rust on other 109's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts