M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell or show me pics on how to properly remove the stock air boxes and how to remove the cover off them? i tries to search and find direction but was unsuccessful. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
First remove 2 4mm black screws that hold the air box to the bike. You then loosen the clamp that holds the air box assembly to the main air box. If yours still has the rubber tube attached to the back of it, slide the clamp up the tube and then the air filter housing will come off. After that just remove the screws in the back of the air filter assembly to get to the air filter. Hope this helps. might want to try and get a maintenance manual. Someone around here might have a pdf one for ya. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Those two screws that hold the units on the bike are side-specific. On the left side they are on the front side of the housing, on the right they are to the rear. One will be down low and the other up top. The lower left one has a spacer between the housing and the frame, be sure not to lose this as you will need it on re-install.

I never had to loosen the screws holding the clamps to the intake tubes, they just popped out. And I just finnagle them back in without tightening them.

Once the units are off the bike, there are five screws that hold the chrome cover to the black back piece, these are phillips head. Two more retain the filters to the back piece once the chrome is off.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Well said by both:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:
A little lube on the boot helps wiggle them back on.
Check the little drain plugs on the bottom of each cover cause they fill with pucky shmoo.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Check the little drain plugs on the bottom of each cover cause they fill with pucky shmoo.
LOL I like that,

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
That is why, four years ago, I dis-connected the tubes to the side. Routed them down into the left engine cover, into a catch can. No more PUCKY SCHMOO, aka GLOP.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the feedback. It will be helpful. I cant wait to get them off and send the covers to Ducks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there not a video out ther \e on how to cut the stock boxes when installing K&N filters or should I even have to do that since im having Ducks open up the front covers????

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Is there not a video out ther \e on how to cut the stock boxes when installing K&N filters or should I even have to do that since im having Ducks open up the front covers????
I didnt need to cut my cover for the K&N. Even with the screen for my cutout. It is close though

·
Premium Member
3,523 Posts
There was a problem with the K&N's a while back but I am pretty sure they fixed it where you will not have to do anything to the covers after you get them back. I didnt have to do anything to mine after installing the K&N's on my bike.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
My K&N's fit exactly as the instructions said they would......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts