M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if the factory paint could be removed from wheels with a standard aluminum strip chemical? Are these wheels powder coated? I have removed paint and clear coats from auto wheels in the past and the result is a machined looks that really stands out.

G

·
You try it first. Worst comes to worst, just get your brother to paint them. They'll already be off. I still think painted wheels would look tough especially with the white walls. :eek:

Sorry, just in case anyone was wondering, he doesn't really have whitewalls on his M109R. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
What"s wrong with the painted wheels. Ive noticed they're easier to clean than polished wheels i've had in the past, especially if you ride alot.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Are they actually painted a color? or are they just clear coated to help them clean up?
Sorry for the silly questions but untill Tuesday I am still a "gonnabe" upgraded from "wannabe"
They look like a clearcoated metal to me.

SledZep

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The bike that cobra did has polished wheels. I am painting the bike now and will be polishing the wheels while waiting for the clear to set up. Should have it done next weekend. Came up with a side mount plate and signals to clean up the rear end. No more plate hanging down.

·
Registered
108 Posts
vtxoak said:
The bike that cobra did has polished wheels. I am paint the bike now and will be polishing the wheels while waiting for the clear to set up. Should have it done next weekend. Came up with a side mount plate and signals to clean up the rear end. No more plate hanging down.
Post some pic's when you get a chance.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I like painted wheels better than polished in my opinion. My 2003 Buell Firebolt had polished wheels and they were a pain to keep clean! With painted wheels, I can wax them and the dirt washes right of with soap and water.

ps- Did anyone notice that the wheels are made by Enkei ? Enkei makes real nice wheels for car and are not cheap! Way to go Suzuki!

-Chad

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yea,they've been making wheels for suzuki a while now. The wheels on my 2000 marauder were made by them. The 109 wheels are better though because i never have to clean chain lube off of them.

G

·
Not only did I notice that the wheels were made by enkei but I also noticed that they have "BMF" pressed on them. Just like Samuel L. Jackson's wallet in Pulp Fiction. They're the ones that have "Bad (I know work safe site)" on them. :evil:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Painted verses Polished.....having had a 02 VTX with bare aluminum rims I can vividly recall the long hours and large quantities of Mothers Polish, not to mention the sore fingers, which was the norm for maintaining those wheels.

One of the first impressions I had about the M109 was the "CLEAN" appearance of the painted or powder coated wheels. Not sure of the finish, but I do like the ability to simply wet a cloth with Windex and give the wheels a quick wipe.....presto, the wheels are clean. Having a 8.5 inch wide rear wheel is like having a waste basket for brake dust to collect, after every ride there is a accumulation of dust......less work cleaning wheels is more time in the saddle.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Anybody know if they are painted or powdercoated.
Isn't powdercoating an electroplating process and if they are this the coating will certainly last longer than paint, won't it?
Bradbike

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would gamble and say the wheels are powdercoated. All of the Suzuki sportbioke wheels are powdercoated as well. Paint is to soft, especially when it comes to changing tires. I'm thinking of doing something like a polished lip on the rim edges and doing a gloss black center rim....not sure yet. I will need to spend some time photoshopping it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tryed applying some aluminum paint stripper to the hub in a place where it could not be easily seen to see what it would look like. It appeared to of had almost no effect. I then tried a small spot on the outer lip. It did remove a small amount coating. The base aluminum color is very close to the fatory paint color, just a bit darker. I am toying with stripping and polishing the lip and leaving the hub machined.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have now borrowed a friends used Hyabusa wheel to try a stronger chemical stripper and if that doesnt work I have an appointment with a sandblaster. One way or the other the paint is coming off. The finish on the Hyabusa wheel is black but underneath is a really nice machined surface. I will update.

·
Registered
343 Posts
That is the one thing missing from the 109'er, chrome wheels. If it is possible, someone chrome their wheels and I'll clean them with drool!!!!!
www.hellrisercustoms.com/oychoppa

G

·
metu said:
Was wondering if the factory paint could be removed from wheels with a standard aluminum strip chemical? Are these wheels powder coated? I have removed paint and clear coats from auto wheels in the past and the result is a machined looks that really stands out. Â
Chrome!!!

http://www.classiccomponents.com/pricing.htm

$500 per set including freight back to you... Some folks I know from other boards have used them and they are very happy!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I personally think that chrome is the way to go. Will match perfectly with the rest of the chrome engine parts.

·
Registered
343 Posts
PAINT????? What kinda mullet-head would paint his rims? :confused: Don't tell me you want your 109'er to look like a Yamaha Warrior. If you must go, you must go chrome!!!!! I've seen chromed wheels on all kinds of sportbikes and they go well with the look. The 109'er, to me, looks more like a crotch rocket than a dressed out cruiser, with chrome to boot. Chrome dem bad boys!!!!!!!! :bigthumbsup:
www.hellrisercustoms.com/oychoppa

·
Registered
211 Posts
Has anyone seen a m109r with chrome wheels? Any pictures in the net?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts