M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of fitting Velocity Pro 2-1's and I'm having trouble removing the old exhaust gaskets to fit new ones. It's K9 with 18,000 klms, which I have had from new and this is the first time the standard pipes have been off.

Any tips and tricks would be much appreciated.

Also, I didn't get any instructions with the pipes and I'm having alignment issues, still about 1/2 inch gap between heat shields on the muffler/pipe join, and I can't get it to budge. Is it just a matter of persevering? I have thought of the 2"x4" option, but this would require clamping the pipes which may further cause alignment issues. I'm also worried about putting a "wrinkle" in my nice shinny muffler.

Can anyone give me a detailed "how to" on fitting stubborn/misaligned pipes?

Thanks in advance

???

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I doubt this will be much help, but when I refitted my V&H's from the stock exhaust...I used a pick to loosen the exhaust gaskets from the exhaust port in the head. When I replaced it with the V&H's I simply bolted everything up loosely and made absolutely sure that the exhaust bolts were going in straight in the head (so as not to crossthread them). Then when my head bolts were properly torqued I aligned up the rest of the exhaust and shields by eye and tightened each bolt/screw securely. Hope I understood and answered your question correctly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Gramps,

Yep, tried a pick, no go, scribed around gasket to remove carbon and pick again, still no go, even tried tapping gasket with a flat punch to dislodge them. If I had not owned it from new I would suspect some gasket goo was involved!

Thanks for your reply

:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
I doubt this will be much help, but when I refitted my V&H's from the stock exhaust...I used a pick to loosen the exhaust gaskets from the exhaust port in the head. When I replaced it with the V&H's I simply bolted everything up loosely and made absolutely sure that the exhaust bolts were going in straight in the head (so as not to crossthread them). Then when my head bolts were properly torqued I aligned up the rest of the exhaust and shields by eye and tightened each bolt/screw securely. Hope I understood and answered your question correctly.
Mine just pried out with almost 20k on them. :dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
If they look good, no dents or obvious indentations, just leave them in place. I can't recall how many times I've had my pipes off and still have the original gaskets in there. They are thick copper so they don't really wear or compress.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi rynosback,

Oh, if it was that easy! I think I'll just leave them and hope they don't leak.

Thank for the reply.

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Zoom, they look OK, I was just going to replace to be on the safe side. Tey're staying.

Cheers
Blez

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi m109rule, too late pipes are back on and I just hope there are no leaks.

Cheers
Blez

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just fitted my velocity pros to my bike . Didn't change port gaskets. Haven't had to do that in about 5 exhaust on and offs and no leaks.

Used about 18" length of 4x2 positioned behind the Bracket on the Muffler pipe and tapped it on to tghe front pipes , ( was tight put got it on pretty good).

Only Problems i have had ..

1) Had to drill new holes in black mount bracket to line up with bolts.

2) Bike feels more powerfull but Dyno says lost 12 hp and 5 ft/lbs torque.

:super:Gez.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi m109rule, too late pipes are back on and I just hope there are no leaks.

Cheers
Blez
You will know right away if there are any leaks with deceleration. You'll hear some backfiring on deceleration because air is being sucked in and excess fuel is burning with the air. No backfiring? No problem!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, 1 week on and no sign of a leak. Love the sound of the Velocity Pros (LOUD), but don't like the way the Cop car :cop: followed me for about 2 klm on the very first test ride. At least I wasn't pulled over! I'm taking it in to have it "tamed" a bit.

Cheers
Blez

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks guys, 1 week on and no sign of a leak. Love the sound of the Velocity Pros (LOUD), but don't like the way the Cop car :cop: followed me for about 2 klm on the very first test ride. At least I wasn't pulled over! I'm taking it in to have it "tamed" a bit.

Cheers
Blez
You will know if they leak as you will get popping on decel, sometimes light sometimes sonic boom. Next time you give it a go may I suggest using a long flat screwdriver you don't mind smacking around with a hammer. Get under the inside edge somewhere and work it loose all the way around. The clean up the motor with a file or wire brush.

They are a crushed gasket and it's highly recommended to replace them every time you remove the pipes and if you couldn't get the 'Y' connector to line up, check the clamps bolts as they may need to be twisted to a free spot and don't tighten the motor bolts until all line up.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I just fitted my velocity pros to my bike . Didn't change port gaskets. Haven't had to do that in about 5 exhaust on and offs and no leaks.

Used about 18" length of 4x2 positioned behind the Bracket on the Muffler pipe and tapped it on to tghe front pipes , ( was tight put got it on pretty good).

Only Problems i have had ..

1) Had to drill new holes in black mount bracket to line up with bolts.

2) Bike feels more powerfull but Dyno says lost 12 hp and 5 ft/lbs torque.

:super:Gez.
You really should not have to drill any holes in the mounting bracket for this pipe to mount up. What I found out (the hard way) is that if you do not get the muffler seated all the way onto the head pipe properly the muffler will not line up with the bracket.

I wound up having to pull it all apart again and did in fact have to make the opening at the muffler end bigger in order for the muffler to seat properly. I used a old pipe expansion tool I had from my days as an auto mechanic to gain the necessary clearence. (when the muffler is seated properly the chrome shield on the muffler should overlap the head pipe slightly)

The gaskets I did replace and I was able to get a pic in there and pop them out. They did crush up for me to free them up but it didn't matter since I was replacing them anyway.

Also went with the Gman Bully Fuel controller. Have to tell you that IMHO, it is one of the best fuel processors made for this bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts