M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the gas tank need to be empty before removing it? Will it dump gas on you? Or does it have some sort of check valve in it to keep that from happening? Looking at the service manual, it just says to disconnect the hose but doesn't say if the gas will just come spilling out or not.

·
Registered
595 Posts
There IS some sort of check valve.....when you disconnect the fuel line a few ounces of gas will spill out (just place a towel or rag below the line to absorb this). It will NOT drain the contents of the tank out.

You should still still try to run the tank empty before removal to make it lighter and easier to lift off. When there is gas in the tank it is pretty heavy and you run the risk of scratching it while you try to manhandle it off the bike.

Also there is a 2" rubber disk on each side of the frame that holds the front of the tank in place. When you lift the tank off be careful not to lose these because they will tend to fall off and hit the floor. After you lift the tank off be sure to pull off these disks and set them aside where they won't get lost because you will be up Sh*t creek if you do.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
The fuel pump in the tank keeps the fuel from running out. Fuel can't go through it unless it's running.

The black clip on the fuel line stays on the tank. You depress it to release the line from the tank. You can also rotate it around a little to get a better grip on it, as you have to depress it from both sides. Depress black clip, pull line off. And it's more of a finesse thing than a force thing, just depress the clip and gently pull on the line while trying to get it get it directly inline with the clip.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I pulled my tank off last night along with the rest of my bodywork. Second time I've ever done it. Seemed easier than the first time by far since I'm more familiar with the quick connect. I drained my full tank into my GSXR and gave my neighbor some for his R6 before I attempted to pull the tank to make things even easier.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I used a small dab of silicone glue on the rubber disk's to keep them in place
A zip tie on each works well and will never fail.
There's even a channel for the tie to ride inside of.

·
Registered
711 Posts
This is my first removal... do you have to push the tank forward or pull it back to get it pass the rubber washer on each side ?? :dontknow:

crossq...
[email protected]
Unbolt and raise up the rear of the tank, block it with a padded 2x4. Lay a shop rag underneath the fuel line connection. Disconnect the fuel line. Disconnect the speedo from the wiring harness. Pull the tank towards the rear of the motorcycle. Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
128 Posts
gas tank r&r

Thanks ... do you have to do anything special for the fuel line disconnect ? Did not wnat to break any clamps... ??

crossq

·
Registered
128 Posts
gas tank r&r

The fuel pump in the tank keeps the fuel from running out. Fuel can't go through it unless it's running.

The black clip on the fuel line stays on the tank. You depress it to release the line from the tank. You can also rotate it around a little to get a better grip on it, as you have to depress it from both sides. Depress black clip, pull line off. And it's more of a finesse thing than a force thing, just depress the clip and gently pull on the line while trying to get it get it directly inline with the clip.
Thanks Zoom, that exactly what I was looking for ..... did not want to muscle it and brake the clamp...

crossq :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
fuel line clips

Yeah, don't break it! If you just use your hands, it won't break. Most people seem to be able to get it to release better than I do. Mine requires a lot of pushing in and pulling out on the line while releasing the clip by squeezing the 2 side tabs. Sometimes I don't think I can get it to release at all, then I finally get it loose.
Oh yeah, plan ahead where you are going to set your precious tank. A padded area out of foot traffic's way is best.
Like others have said, it gets easier each time you do it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
gas tank r&r

I got it off earlier with just as you stated. While it's off for a couple of weeks I will do a few more mods....

Thanks for everyone's help. This is a great site !!!!:a18::a18:

crossq

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Yeah, don't break it! If you just use your hands, it won't break. Most people seem to be able to get it to release better than I do. Mine requires a lot of pushing in and pulling out on the line while releasing the clip by squeezing the 2 side tabs. Sometimes I don't think I can get it to release at all, then I finally get it loose.
Oh yeah, plan ahead where you are going to set your precious tank. A padded area out of foot traffic's way is best.
Like others have said, it gets easier each time you do it.
I have found that if you squeeze in, then push it on more, then pull it pops right off. :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
I have found that if you squeeze in, then push it on more, then pull it pops right off. :bigthumbsup:
I've found the same thing. If you pull too much while you're trying to depress the tabs, they won't depress far enough to let the line slip off. I pull the line tight against the clip, depress it, then pull the line off.

Rotating it so you can get a good pinch on it helps a lot too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts