M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am getting ready to send my Wheels off to Chip Simmons of Motorworks to have them chrome and would like to remove the wheels from the bike myself, but don't know how are if it's hard to do and what tools will I need if I can do it myself.. :dontknow:

Thanks Everyone For Your Help :bigthumbsup:
Semaiah

·
Registered
66 Posts
In the manual in says that you need a special tool, wich i a 24 mm hexagon socket. That should be all. I'm also going to remove mine for polishing within the next week or two. :D

- Jess

·
Registered
401 Posts
Look in the How to section and look on Hinks Signature and there is a link.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Go to any dealer and buy the axle tool. You can make one as others have, but I prefer to just go buy it. You will also need a set of hex sockets. They sell them at lowes and home depot. You need the metric ones.

For the front, 2 pinch bolts on the bottom of the left fork when looking at it. Loosen them up. Then, just put the axle tool in, undo. You will need to support the rim and pull the axle out. Easier with two people. There is a spacer on the right side, so it may fall, no biggy.

On the rear, you will need to undo the caliper bracket bolt to the swing arm. Once you do that, you can undo the little bracket underneath that holds the brake line and gently set the caliper down on the ground or a box underneath. Then you put a big wrench or pipe wrench on the axle nut and use the axle tool from the hub side and undo. Note, 08 and after does not have a cotter pin, but 06 and 07 due in the nut. Replace them when putting rims back on. Before pulling the axle out, push the wheel over to the right to get it out of the hub. Have someone lift up the wheel to take pressure off, and have the other person pull out the axle. Drop the rim down and you are done.

Honestly, the second time you do it, after you get it on the jack it is about 10 minutes to do front and rear.

FYI, i use tie down straps while it is on the jack. When you pull the wheels off, you don't want the lack of weight to cause a shift and have the bike become unstable.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks For The Info

I enjoy working on my bike, but the first time is so scary, but I like having you guys around because I can always ask and someone knows...:bigthumbsup:

Semaiah

·
Registered
159 Posts
if you have a Cycle gear store near you, they have the tool for the axle bolts. 19 bucks for the steel one. Don't get the aluminum one, I got it and torquing the rear axle broke it. Taking the wheels off is really easy. I took the front off first, then put the axle back through the forks, and put it on two jack stands then lifted the back with my jack.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I enjoy working on my bike, but the first time is so scary, but I like having you guys around because I can always ask and someone knows...:bigthumbsup:

Semaiah
We have your back. Everything can be a little scary the first time. Then you look back and laugh and realize it was no big deal.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
I just ordered mine thanks for the link. :2excited:
sure thing, just passing along the same help I got. That's what it's all about:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
I do not think it is that hard, but everyone has a different skill set. I would invest or get a service manual. It is the only mod that will pay you back.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes Cycle Gear Store Near Me.

if you have a Cycle gear store near you, they have the tool for the axle bolts. 19 bucks for the steel one. Don't get the aluminum one, I got it and torquing the rear axle broke it. Taking the wheels off is really easy. I took the front off first, then put the axle back through the forks, and put it on two jack stands then lifted the back with my jack.
Thanks I hope the weather get warmer for at least one day, it's to cold now 6 degrees.:bigthumbsup:

Semaiah

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This Site Is Like A Family

I am so glad that I purchase this my first bike because when I needed help everyone was so helpful. When I lower my bike 2 1/2 everyone told me to go for it and when I had problem getting the nut off someone told me to get a breaker bar and that worked the first try and after that it was on a kicken. now this is one that I would like to try my ownself get those wheel off, I just want to see if I can get it done.???

Semaiah

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
:agree: I had the same problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is This The Right Part

I went to Cycle Gear website and was wondering is this the right part?

STOCKTON TOOL COMPANY Axle Adjustment Tool - $19.99

·
Registered
16,261 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts

Semaiah
I'm wth ya man. The "How To's" have saved me enough money to buy more MODS. Cha ching $$$$$ :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts