M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the old trick of using a hair dryer to gradually heat the decals until the adhesive is warm enough to allow for removal, but what have you guys used to remove the adhesive? Last time I performed this task, I used Goo Gone and it removed the clear coat and swirled the paint!

G

·
Harkster said:
I know the old trick of using a hair dryer to gradually heat the decals until the adhesive is warm enough to allow for removal, but what have you guys used to remove the adhesive? Last time I performed this task, I used Goo Gone and it removed the clear coat and swirled the paint!Â
I used goo-gone and had no problems. It sometimes looks like it does but it is actually left over adhesive. Take a quality wax and wax it two or three times and it will look beautiful. Good luck.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I used a couple of Bandaid adhesive remover pads that my girlfriend had lying around the house. May be able to pick them up at Walgreens, etc., or from a nurse, if you know one :doorag:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
sledzep01 said:
I think the googone is OK on painted metal, but not plastic. I THINK!!

I used Wd40, works like a charm.

Sledzep
Your right! Some WD-40 on a small piece of terry cloth :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I used goo-gone on mine as well. Worked great. Then washed the area and waxed it. No idea they were ever there. :doorag:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I continued to use the hairdryer and got most of that gunk off. Then I used a product called 'Invisible Glass' to remove the last bits. It worked nicely, and I rinsed the bike with plenty of water when I was through.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well i tried the WD-40 and it worked my you know what off :mad: I use the hairdrier to start with,the trick if any i found is to pull the hole thing off together, the clear and the main sticker together,if possible.but the glue you can't beat 3M tar and bug adhesive remover,This stuff is Bad to the bone and safe for clear Coates.
I ran out is why i tried the WD-40 :( but it can't holed a candle to 3M adhesive remover no way!!!
Girlfriend got some paint on the front of her HHR by hitting the porch swing :mad: I rubbed that spot till i was Blue in the face, used dawn, WD-40 no good went and got the 3M and I'm not joking !!! I sprayed it on and as it was running down the bumper you could see the paint going with it ,just wiped it with a paper towel and it was gone! you try 3M and you to will be impressed I bet ya :bigthumbsup: it works on the bikes also ,I used it to remove the stickers on my GSXR 1000 swweeeetttt makes sticker removal a one beer job :D :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
For my friends in the Northland who want to remove their tank stickers now without waiting for that rare hot day in the sun to soften them. A hot hair dryer will only take off the top layer of plastic. Your fingernail will eventually remove the white decal below while repeatedly re-heating the area. Goo Gone, WD-40, bug and tar remover, and wax cleaner would not easily clean the adhesive off. They only made it smear. It came off in seconds with a quarter sized spot of full strength SIMPLE GREEN on a terry cloth towel. Once wiped off, wax finished the job perfectly. Paint 100% intact and no scatches.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,870 Posts
I took my tank stickers off today and it took close to an hour. I heated them up a bit with a heat gun (wife won't let me use her hair dryer anymore since I kind of ruined two of them) and the top sticker pealed off pretty easily. I just had one corner to pick off and some spots of glue that came off when I reapplied the sticker and removed it a few times.

The fuel warning was a PITA. The top layer came off first, and that layer below it is still kind of a plastic material. I used Goo Gone on it first, even placing a cloth over it to see if it would soak in. Then tried WD40, which was a bit better, then the bug and tar remover. I used one of those sample blue Discover credit cards you get in the mail to do most of the scraping, it worked OK and doesn't scratch the paint. I just started at a corner and see-sawed it back and forth while pushing down on it.

Got it off and tried removing the rest of the glue residue, and it wouldn't budge. I was worried it had removed the clear coat, because the residue wasn't in the shape of the sticker, it was almost a round pattern. WD40 finally got it all off.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
good gone sucked for me same thing made mess swirled paint went and got some turtle wax bug and tar remover 30 seconds later the job was done

G

·
I used my fingernail and a wet terry cloth. It took me about 10 minutes.... I didnt have nearly the problems you guys had...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I used a window tenting Spackle knife(slide under the decal push slowly and pull back on decal till it comes off ) and spray break cleaner on glue wipe with paper shop towel till clean.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts