M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just love the look of the stock pipes. i haven't seen any aftermarkets i like better yet. i've seen the posts on removing the baffles, and think that's great. i'm curious if there's also a way to remove the catalytic converter from the stock pipes. i remember someone said this takes up a good portion of the weight, and i'm sure that it doesn't help the airflow either. where is it located? what do you think is involved in removing it completely?

i'm thinking that removing this and the baffles may be a better pipe solution for me than aftermarkets.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
phaed said:
i just love the look of the stock pipes. i haven't seen any aftermarkets i like better yet. i've seen the posts on removing the baffles, and think that's great. i'm curious if there's also a way to remove the catalytic converter from the stock pipes. i remember someone said this takes up a good portion of the weight, and i'm sure that it doesn't help the airflow either. where is it located?  what do you think is involved in removing it completely?

i'm thinking that removing this and the baffles may be a better pipe solution for me than aftermarkets.
I agree about the stock pipes. At a recent bike night I had several people approach me and comment how good the bike sounded when I pulled into the parking area. They said it was hard to believe the pipes were completely stock as they had a nice throaty rumble. I had V&H on my VTX and after a month I ordered and installed quiet baffles. Even with the baffles the sound was almost deafening. I guess age brings hearing losses along with wisdom and a desire to save what hearing is left.

·
Registered
209 Posts
From what I learned on my 04 R1 removing the cat will give you little to no increase in power. As far as weight goes, if you cut it out and reweld it you will save some weight but if you just remove the honeycomb you wont save much. That stuff is a real pain in the ass to get out also.

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
First of all i am sure it is a three stage catalyst. You also may want to check your state laws. In Md if it comes equipped and emission controll devices they must remain on there. It would be caught when the bike is inspected for the new owner. And I am sure they are not cheep.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
rynosback said:
First of all i am sure it is a three stage catalyst. You also may want to check your state laws. In Md if it comes equipped and emission controll devices they must remain on there. It would be caught when the bike is inspected for the new owner. And I am sure they are not cheep.
New owner??? You mean your not keeping yours for ever?? I ws thinking of being buried on mine :joke: :joke:

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love my bike and I will keep it for quite a while. In 7-15 years or so, there might be another bike out there that grabs me. I'm just thinking ahead.

·
Registered
178 Posts
slickdj96 said:
From what I learned on my 04 R1 removing the cat will give you little to no increase in power. As far as weight goes, if you cut it out and reweld it you will save some weight but if you just remove the honeycomb you wont save much. That stuff is a real pain in the ass to get out also.
hahaha! I thought I was the only one who had a hard time getting the honeycomb out of my ZX12R !! that's funny. It looked so easy until I spent 45 minutes with needle nose pliers......

-Chad

·
Registered
209 Posts
SpeedStack said:
hahaha! I thought I was the only one who had a hard time getting the honeycomb out of my ZX12R !! that's funny. It looked so easy until I spent 45 minutes with needle nose pliers......

-Chad
That and a screw driver and hammer beating the crap out of it lol. I looked in this one and it would be even more difficult to remove because you cant get to it very well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts